Trick video

szecsuani

Experienced Member
I think these trick are great, but does that dog really have an "electronic collar" (is it called like this?)

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5ZDGUyqXLo[/MEDIA]

szecsuani

Experienced Member
They are talking about the electric collar in the comments, I just didn't see it...
I don't think this is a really good thing...:msniwonder:

CollieMan

Experienced Member
Yes, it can be clearly seen. Though it should also be noted that anti-bark collars that contain sprays can appear very similar.

You can also see the handler holding the remote control, but again, anti-bark collars can have remote devices too. But I'm 99% sure that's an electric or remote collar as some advocates like to call them.

luna may

Can someone please explain what an electronic collar is? It sounds as if the guy is electrifying his dog or something... '~'

CollieMan

Experienced Member
luna may;1765 said:
Can someone please explain what an electronic collar is? It sounds as if the guy is electrifying his dog or something... '~'
I've never used one personally, so my actual knowledge on them is limited. However, what you described is essentially how they work, according to what I know of them.

You can read more about them, and draw your own conclusions. As can be expected, the neutrality of the linked article is being disputed but there's enough accuracy there, I feel, to learn about how they work.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Personally I am not a fan of electronic collars....however, the dog is clearly happy to be following his handler's commands. I don't have experience with the breed, but as far as I know German Shorthaired Pointers can be difficult to train(correct me if I'm wrong)... So the fact that his dog is enthusiastic and happy to follow out his commands is a good sign. If this is not a bark collar, this may be used for a variety of reasons....for instance, he may use it simply as a precaution if the dog strays. Let's say a strange dog struts towards you showing aggression and your dog loses focus on you. Maybe he's using it as a means of keeping the dog at a close distance, and focused? Not that this makes it okay.....just a possible reason for the collar. Not sure...but very nice video otherwise. =)

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
It looks like a bark/shock collar to me. But I highly doubt that any of those tricks were taught using it. It also seems that he is holding a used barbecue lighter that he is using as a clicker/target stick. Just my observations :dogsmile:

P.S. Make sure that you write your [MEDIA [/MEDIA in capital letters for the player to work :)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Now that you point it out Jean, it does appear to be a barbecue lighter. I don't see how you could train a dog any of those tricks with the use of a shock collar.... And I don't think it's even possible to have a dog as willing and ethusiastic as this dog with a shock collar.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I think that's a good thing. Slovenia seems to be more dog-friendly in that area, then. =) By the way, you're doing a great job with Xsara. ^^ I've been checking out your site and watching your videos, and I look forward to seeing more. I saw the right-legs-up pick too. Great. ^^

xsara

tx_cowgirl;2063 said:
I think that's a good thing. Slovenia seems to be more dog-friendly in that area, then. =) By the way, you're doing a great job with Xsara. ^^ I've been checking out your site and watching your videos, and I look forward to seeing more. I saw the right-legs-up pick too. Great. ^^
Thank you so much tx_cowgirl :)

Well, I know some people still use electronic collars here, they bring them from abroad since you can't buy one here. But you couldn't use one in public, like on a canine event or anything like that. I would say we are quite dog-friendly, but there are always exeptions. Unfortunately we also have to deal with some people who don't like dogs, just like everybody else.