Trick Ideas.

KatieMarie

Hello everyone! I haven't been on this forum for a while as I have been very busy with the guide dog pup I am raising.​
Kricket has a small list of tricks, only 6 or 7, and even though she knows 30 + commands, our "tricks" are very minimal. We are doing a small presentation on tricks, trick training and making training fun at our 4-H meeting next week. I would like to teach Kricket and cool new trick by next Wednesday. Even if we can lay the foundation it will be cool to show everybody was a "trick in progress" looks like.​
One trick I would like to teach Kricket is how to pick up her leash, but she does not like toys and won't even shut her mouth down on the leash when I place it in there. Any "different" tricks that aren't too hard and can be taught in a couple sessions?​
Thank you!​
Katie​

SD&B

Experienced Member
Take a look at Kikopups Youtube channel. She has lots and lots of tricks and explains how to train them. Another source of tricks is Kyra Sundance.

Some members have published trick lists. That would be a good source to look for tricks.

Tricks - Spin, Beg, Suitcase trick (dog gets in suitcase, video on forum here - awesomely cute), Wave, Sneeze (capture), Tilt Head (capture), Bow, Rollover, Bang, Pray, Jump through Hula Hoop (if you want it even cuter, hang orange streamers at the top to represent fire - an excellent discussion about progression, since you would teach with just a plain hula hoop first), On your mark-get set-go (like a footrace), kisses, shake hands, speak, cover your eyes, crawl, high five.

Dogs are individuals, so some of these tricks will be easier and some harder for Kricket. Just experiment until you find the ones that you both like.

I'm sure others will have more suggestions, but this is enough for you to try a few and see how it goes.

SD&B

Experienced Member
A couple more -

Stand on rear legs, walk on rear legs, dig, ring bell with nose or paw, Yes/No, stop on cue (while walking, from a distance, etc....), volleyball with a balloon or beach ball (very fun). (Looking at my Kyra Sundance trick book. I teach some of her tricks differently, but she does have lists and ideas.)

Also, don't forget to show the "101 Things You Can do with a Box" exercise. Classic clicker training.

Since you only have a week, you probably want to find a trick to which Kricket is inclined.

sara

Staff member
I had a heck of a time teaching Oliver to hold an object, until I quit trying to stick it in his mouth, and just shaped the "take it" But if your dog doesn't have a retreive, that trick will take way too long.

SD&B has a bunch of good ideas. the suitcase trick is quite a crowd pleaser, as is "are you shy?" Rolling a big ball is a good one too, or the back leg lift (like a boy dog peeing) to a funny question (I use "what do you think of Cesar Milan?")

KatieMarie

Great tricks! Class was canceled but we will be doing all of this at class next Wednesday. We are going to work on Bang! and roll over, then maybe I will teach her to get into a suitcase if I can find one! Thank you all so much!

Dice Smith

Does she play fetch? I tied my boy Kodi's leash around one of his fav toys and would have him fetch it. Then I phased the toy out so he just brought me the leash. :D But since your girl doesn't like toys I don't know if this would work for her. O_o Blowing bubbles is a super cute and easy trick to teach although it can be a little messy lol. Figure eights, foot tapping (dog taps your right foot with her right paw and vice versa), cross paws, touch (dog touches the palms of your hands with her nose, kind of like paddy cake), leg weaving, and twisting (dog does a backwards twist around your legs) are all really easy tricks to teach and are tons of fun to show off with. :D Every dog is different though, so work to your dog's strengths. They'll tell you what they like to do. :) Have fun!