Training Siberian Huskies

jazzycat

So I recently adopted a husky from the local shelter, and I really want to train her so her MIND is occupied as well as her need to RUN. I was thinking of doing some agility training for the mind. Does anyone know how Siberians do with agility? I have always heard they are stubborn and independent, so I'm not sure if this is the right course for her. She has a very sweet temperament and is very balanced, but she definitely has her own mind. :D She is very smart, and she knows some basic commands, by hand and also voice (as in holding the hand flat above her for "sit" or saying "sit"). I was going to put her in a basic obedience course first. Anyoone have any insight on this? Thanks bunches!

I own a Siberian Husky. They are extremely smart, the problem is that they always want to do their own thing. So when it comes to training, you will be constantly fighting against her instincts. I've trained my Husky to do agility, but be prepared that you will first need to train your dog to obey your commands and stay with you without a leash and with dogs around. This is something that is very hard to do because Siberian Huskies always want to go.

I saw your other threads about scootering and biking. There are many ways to get your dog the exercise that she needs. The easiest is to find a buddy that also has a dog and you can let them play together. Obviously they both need to be around the same size or so if they want to 'play-fight'. I own a bike with an attachment on the side that is called a Springer, it's probably the best bike attachment there is out there. Don't order from the official website though, because they suck. Try a company called Springer America, I bought a black one from them last year and it was great.

In the winter, I trained my dogs to pull me on skis. Although they do not completely pull me, it is great exercise for my dogs. With only one dog pulling you, you will have to ski behind the dog.

For intellectual development, what better than to train tricks? Your husky will be able to master almost any trick that is on this website. The only ones I can see a difficulty with is the ones without a leash (in public places) and working from a distance. But it can be done if you are willing to comit yourself to it.

Check out the classroom, I produced many lessons featuring my own husky, even the play chess lesson!

If you are going to go to an obedience training class (which I HIGHLY recommend), then look around and make sure that they train using positive reinforcements. IE, using food rewards. You don't want to go to a place where your dog is constantly punished or disciplined. That is not fun for you or for your dog. Ask the trainer what he thinks about dominance. If he says the dog must be put in his place, look for another trainer.

jazzycat

Thanks for the input. I will check out the class room here. :)

I'm pretty sure the place I'm thinking of going uses positive reinforcement. I don't believe in punishment, but I do believe you must be the alpha in the relationship. Otherwise your dog will walk all over you. I know with a husky, that is probably going to happen to some extent anyway, because they are very single-minded. That's one of the things I like about them. They are more like cats than dogs. :D Or wolves. arrrroooooouuuuuuuuuuu

Well there is a differance between being a leader and imposing your will on your dog. That is just what I am referring to. :) There is a major thunderstorm right now so I'm turning off the PC!!

snooks

Experienced Member
I agree there is a world of difference in being a leader and inspiring your dog to work for you and dominating. Dominance theory is based mostly on flawed studies of captive wolves that are now considered obsolete by major training and research centers. Huskies are not dogs that take nicely to being dominated. Just some ideas and the latest research for you to peruse and decide for yourself. Interesting stuff. There's no reason a Sib can't do agility, you might need to take more breaks for rest and cooling off as I do with my large furry beasts. The smaller dogs in class dissipate heat faster than the larger northern breeds. Have much fun with it--I love agility. :dogtongue2:

jazzycat

Thanks snooks! I will check them out. :)

She is getting better, but she does still pull. My ex's BC is living here now, and I walk them together. He is very good on a leash. I wrap it around my shoulders and mostly forget about it. She still hasn't completely gotten it yet. She is very entertaining though. :D

snooks

Experienced Member
Huskies are entertaining... :dogbiggrin: I am familiar with the shoulder wrap of the leash too. I have a service dog leash which clips in a circle and nicely does this too.