Training A Fish

Mutt

Experienced Member
I didnt exactly understand what you meant in the other option, could you repost it in more detail? :)
Well I quoted it directly from another site and thought it was me (I didn't really get it too ;)).

Though I found something else: splashing the water with a finger, Karen Pryor used this method.

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you KaddidyBC for letting me know what kind of fish he is. Glad I helped a little with the names, no use on the training side but finding this thread absolutely fascinating. What have you decided to call him?

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Thank you KaddidyBC for letting me know what kind of fish he is. Glad I helped a little with the names, no use on the training side but finding this thread absolutely fascinating. What have you decided to call him?
I ended up calling him Flash, thanks to your suggestions. :) We haven't really started training yet, as he is pretty shy and timid, and I want him to be comfortable with me and know that I bring good things (food!) and be excited when he sees me before I start training him.

MaryK

Honored Member
Glad to have helped with the name at least:) Flash sounds like he's one very lucky fish. I'm enjoying hearing all about him. Don't forget vids when you do start training, though I love that you're waiting till he's 'come out of his shell' (ooops no pun intended shells/fish/sea?) that way he'll be ready and willing to learn lots of fishy tricks:D

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Well, training a fish, take 2. Flash died shortly after I brought him home from the store, he must have been sick or something. Anyway, since he died within two weeks of me bringing him home, the store realizes its their fault, so they gave me a new fish for free! Meet..... Well, I don't have a name for him yet (again, name suggestions are appreciated :) ), so, meet unnamed fishy!!
image.jpg

Ill start up on his training soon, I'll let you know how it goes.

MaryK

Honored Member
So sorry Flash died:cry: R.I.P. little Flash, you were loved even though you were only here for a short time.

Welcome to Mr. Unamed!

Monet.
Wodehouse.
Superfish (as in superman)

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Just a quick update. I decided to name him Zipper. He zips all around the tank, so I thought it was perfect. :) I thought of it when me and my friend were talking about the carnival (we are going there today! :) ) and I said my favorite ride is the zipper. Then I'm like oh my gosh that's it!! :)

Unfortunately I haven't been able to begin his training yet. For some reason he hasn't eaten since I brought him home. He is super active, and acts completely normal, he just completely ignores food. I'm thinking maybe he isn't comfortable in his tank yet.... I don't know. Hopefully he eats soon! I don't want him to starve! But, he's acting happy and healthy, so that's a good sign!

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Oh, and just to relieve boredom, I wanted to show you guys this. :) It's my favorite trick the kit came with, soccer!! Haha, it's so cute! I can't wait until little Zipper knows it! :)
image.jpg

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Zipper is finally eating!! :) Yay! The only problem is he's not a little goblin for his food like most bettas, which is going to make it hard to train him. Plus he takes forever to eat his food, he puts it in his mouth, then spits it out, then puts it in his mouth again, then spits it out, until finally he will actually eat it. I may try using flakes instead, he may enjoy those more and be able to eat them easier, but it's hard to find good flakes for bettas.