Toxic Foods For Dogs

laramie

Experienced Member
This is part of a list that I've put together. It doesn't have plants or medicines listed, but I can add them if anyone wants them.
  • Alcoholic Beverages: Can cause a coma or death.
  • Apple Seeds: Can have varied effects on pets.
  • Apricot Pits: Can cause respiratory difficulties such as breathing, coughing and sneezing.
  • Avocado: The leaves, fruit, seeds and bark of avocados contain Persin, which can cause vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. Can cause congestion, difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation around the heart. Some ingestions may even be fatal.
  • Cherry Pits: Can cause respiratory difficulties such as breathing, coughing and sneezing.
  • Candy containing the sweetener Xylitol: Can cause liver damage and even death.
  • Chocolate: Chocolate poisoning can cause irregular heart rate and rhythm, restlessness, hyperactivity, diarrhea, vomiting, panting, muscle tremors, abdominal pain, bloody urine, increased body temperature, seizures, coma and possibly even death.
  • Coffee: Can result in increased breathing and heart rate, restlessness and affects the central nervous system.
  • Cooked Bones: Can splinter and puncture throat and internal organs.
  • Fat Trimmings: Can cause pancreatitis.
  • Grapes: Large amounts of grapes can be poisonous to pets and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, abdominal pain, lack of appetite and kidney damage.
  • Hops: May cause panting, elevated temperature, increased heart rate, seizures and possibly death.
  • Macadamia Nuts: Can cause vomiting Macadamia nuts are commonly used in many cookies and candies. However, they can cause problems for your canine companion. These nuts have caused weakness, depression, vomiting, tremors and hyperthermia in dogs. Signs usually appear within 12 hours of ingestion and last approximately 12 to 48 hours.
  • Moldy Foods: Can have varied effects on pets including vomiting and diarrhea.
  • Mushrooms: Different types of mushrooms can have varied effects on pets such as, depression, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting, abdominal pain, tearing, hallucinations, defecation, liver failure, seizures, drooling, urination, kidney failure, heart damage, hyperactivity and in some cases, death.
  • Mustard Seeds
  • Onions and Onion Powder: Can cause gastrointestinal problems such as vomiting and diarrhea.
  • Peach Pits: Can cause respiratory difficulties such as breathing, coughing and sneezing.
  • Potato Leaves and Stems: Can cause problems with the digestive, nervous and urinary systems.
  • Raisins: Large amounts of raisins can be poisonous to pets and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, abdominal pain, lack of appetite and kidney damage.
  • Rhubarb Leaves: Can cause problems with the digestive, nervous and urinary systems.
  • Salt: In large quantities can cause electrolyte imbalances and can produce excessive thirst and urination, or even sodium ion poisoning in pets. Signs that your pet may have eaten too many salty foods include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, elevated body temperature, seizures and even death.
  • Tea: Contains caffeine. Can cause nervous system problems.
  • Tomato Leaves and Stems: Can cause problems with the digestive, nervous and urinary systems.
  • Walnuts: Can cause gastrointestinal problems such as vomiting and diarrhea, as well as respiratory issues such as sneezing, breathing and coughing.
  • Yeast Dough: Can be dangerous as it will expand and result in gas, pain and possible rupture of the stomach or intestines.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
GREAT LIST!!!

i hear onions are no good, either, nor onion powder...which is in a lot of pizza crusts that ppl toss bits of to their dogs.

Anneke

Honored Member
I knew about most of these, but fat trimmings??? Of meat, you mean?
I always cut the fat off my meat to give to my dogs, because I hate the texture of it in my mouth and the taste. But it is cooked when I give it. I leave it on for the taste, when I cook meat.
I guess it sounds so strange to me, because wolves eat fat too. I don't think they eat around the fat. And fat is neccessary in any diet, even in ours(although some dietting people might disagree:D)

laramie

Experienced Member
Yes, of meat. I've read in many places that too much fat is bad. It causes pancreatitis, and I'm pretty sure I even know a dog that's had this happen. I think they mean a huge amount of fat. In the grocery store I worked at, there was a woman who would come and get the left over fat from the meat department. She told me that she feeds it to her hounds. I mean this container was 10 or 15 pounds, full of only fat trimmings and she didn't look like she would do a whole lot of preparation. I don't know if they were referring to it being bad if uncooked, but I know it means feeding in excess. I am currently sitting here with a pamphlet from the ASPCA called 101 Things You Didn't Know Could Harm Your Pets. It also says in the food section that fatty foods are bad.

laramie

Experienced Member
Here is the list of plants that are toxic to dogs if ingested. Brace yourself; it's a lot. Also, I haven't heard of more than half of these, but someone reading this might have. It doesn't specify which parts of the plants are toxic, but I know that bulbs of those plants that do have bulbs are toxic.

• Aloe
  • Amaryllis
  • Andromeda Japonica
  • Asian Lily
  • Asparagus Fern
  • Australian Nut
  • Autumn Crocus
  • Azalea
  • Belladonna
  • Bird of Paradise
  • Bittersweet
  • Black Locust
  • Branching Ivy
  • Buckeye
  • Buddhist Pine
  • Caladium
  • Calla Lily
  • Castor Bean
  • Ceriman
  • Clematis
  • Cordatum
  • Corn Plant
  • Cycads
  • Cyclamen
  • Daffodil
  • Daylily
  • Devil's Ivy
  • Dieffenbachia
  • Dumbcane
  • Easter Lily
  • Elephant Ears
  • Emerald Fern
  • English Ivy
  • Eucalyptus
  • Ferns
  • Fiddle-leaf Philodendron
  • Florida Beauty
  • Foxglove
  • Glacier Ivy
  • Gladiolus
  • Gold Dust Dracaena
  • Golden Pothos
  • Heavenly Bamboo
  • Honeysuckle
  • Hurricane Plant
  • Hyacinth
  • Hydrangea
  • Iris
  • Jerusalem Cherry
  • Jimson Weed
  • Kalanchoe
  • Lantana
  • Lillies (all Lilium species)
  • Lily of the Valley
  • Lupine
  • Marble Queen
  • Morning Glory
  • Mother-in-law
  • Mountain Laurel
  • Narcissus
  • Needlepoint Ivy
  • Nephthysis
  • Nightshade
  • Oleander
  • Panda
  • Peace Lily
  • Philodendron
  • Poison Hemlock
  • Precatory Bean (rosary pea)
  • Privet
  • Red Emerald
  • Rhododendron
  • Ribbon Plant
  • Sago Palm
  • Satin Pothos
  • Schefflera
  • Striped Dracaena
  • Sweetheart Ivy
  • Tulip
  • Water Hemlock
  • Wisteria
  • Yew
  • Yucca

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
dang i have many many many of those flowers in my yard!!!!:eek: !

wow.
luckily, Buddy never eats them, though. He just eats grass. almost daily, but only 1 or 2 tip tops of tall grasses only. I googled this, turns out, lots of dogs do this, but no one is 100% sure "why".

I have also heard that animal fat should only be given to dogs in limited, small amounts, too. I googled it, and find many ppl say same thing, that big globs of fat are baaaaaaad for dogs.
Small amts = great
big amts = bad.

i guess the size of the fat depends on size of dog, not sure.
dogs DO need fats, to keep their coats and fur nice, and that is why these "diet dog foods" can ruin a dog's coat and give him skin problems..

I never ever specifically give my dog pure fat, as he gets enough in his food and meat scraps. My dog kinda gets runny stools if he does get a big glob of pure fat.

laramie

Experienced Member
Yeah, we have a bunch of toxic flowers in our yard as well. Our dogs don't eat them or acknowledge that they even exist. I would only be concerned if your dog is one of those that chews anything. The pamphlet also says that balls could be dangerous for your dogs, but keep in mind it's called Things You Didn't Know Could Harm Your Pet. For example, if your dog eats the ball, it would cause some problems.

I would think the amount of fat depends on the size of dog. If you give a small dog less food in general than a larger one, it wouldn't be healthy to use the same amount of fat in a much smaller portion of food. My family used to give my dogs the fat trimmings from meat until I found out how bad it was (we have a lot of people in our house, so it was a lot of fat). I told them why it was bad and if they snuck it to them behind my back and the dogs got sick, they would be paying for vet bills. When I cook for them, I try to cook with or add some olive oil to the food for their skin and coats. If I had a hunk of fat, I think I would be having some problems in the bathroom department too. :LOL:

bekah1001

Honored Member
Wow thanks for the info! And sorry for the chocolate lovers but I heard that chocolate is poisonous for humans to but only in large amounts I believe

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Diane, your link lists some of the worst dog foods in the world,
like Purina, Eukanuba, Pedigree, Science Diet, Iams, etc etc.
Don't feel bad, i used to be same way, i just didn't know ppl could sell such terrible dog foods, and charge us so much for the stuff, too! I did not know.

Here is better chart to use: http://www.petfoodratings.net/dogtable.html