Timid Puppy Pls Help

jewels

My new puppy is very afraid of the outside, every time I take her out she runs right back to the door, I drag her on her leash, she won't go potty outside. Also she wont stay in crate without whining continuously. Please any suggestions? Thanks, Jewels

CollieMan

Experienced Member
How long have you had the pup?

What age is the pup?

What breed is the pup?

Do you mean crating overnight, or just for a few moment?

onwards1981

Yes, I think we need a little more info... if she just came home she might just be super stressed out with all the changes...

snooks

Experienced Member
Yes more info def necessary and never drag puppy by a leash it can create a lot of negative associations like when I go outside I get choked, it's scary. Much rather carry puppy to potty spot and reward with small treats every 5-10 seconds and associate outside with fun and a soft high pitched sweet voice and lavish praise for going potty.

Patience and kindness will be returned if you give it to ur learning puppy.

I have lots of advice for whining in the crate, but some will happen no matter what. Remember this is the first time in puppy's whole life that she's totally alone for any time at all. How old? Have you tried putting a treat filled kong in with puppy to occupy her and luring her in with food instead of putting her in?

There are many solutions depending on what ur doing, when she's crying etc. Don't get discouraged. Catch her being quiet and reward with a bit of chicken. Don't just pay attention when she's making a fuss. Pay more attention to the good. :dogtongue2: