Timid Puppy Pls Help

jewels

Hi I recently got a puppy and she is so timid she hates to be outside. I have to drag her on the leash because all she wants to do is run back inside. Also if I put her in a crate she continues to whin. Please help with suggestions. She has been going potty on the pad. Thanks in advance, Jewels:doghuh:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I saw this once on DogWhisperer, what he did is was to take the dog down the street (he either carried it or drove it there, can't recall now) and THEN, put it on a whole other brand-new leash that the dog had never seen yet, the dog happily wore the new leash to return to it's home. Walked nicely, no dragging involved...The D.W. said the old leash already had too many bad experiences assosicated with it, so he got a whole brand new one for the dog.

This helped the dog like walking on the leash. Wearing the leash to return home...(i suppose then, after having positive experience wearing leash to return home, the dog must've eventually accepted that new leash and could then walk out of the house in the leash, can't remember, but they did go back and show the owners all happy they could now walk their dog.....)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Also, when you get the pup outside, do something fun to distract her from her fears, play games and stuff, and GIVE LOTSA TREATS when she is outside, so she'll think being outside is a good thing. (keep your treats TINY to avoid having a fat dog.)
My dog was afraid fo the dark!! Still is every once in a blue moon, but much less, cuz we did what i just said. We played with him outside in the dark, gave him treats, acted like it was the best thing to be outside in the dark.