Tidy Your Toy's

Dodge

:DI m dead intrigued how you can teach that one,anybody here that has got a clean freak doggie(meant in the nicest possible way of course(y)):love:

fickla

Experienced Member
Are you actually wanting help on the trick of putting one object into another, aka clean up? If so, what stage are you and does your dog already retrieve?

I like teaching the trick but don't actually use it! We have toys everywhere :)

Dodge

Oooh yes,please,if you could explain the "How to",that would be great,thank you:)
We ve got one box for toys,as in squeakers,balls,tuggers and such and two boxes of fluffy cuddly toys (he adores them,giggle), when I tell him to get his ball he will get it,when I say get a toy he will choose a toy or cuddly toy that takes his fancy at that moment(I tried to get him to get the "monkey" or "tiger" or "rabbit" . . . well,when he actually brings the right toy its just luck I think :ROFLMAO:)
I kinda tried to get him to drop them back in the box,but had no idea how to get him to do it,he just wants to play with them,lol:)

fickla

Experienced Member
Well I like free shaping :) But with most dogs I "lure" it. Use an item the dog will drop when he hears the click. Click ends the behavior and equals food so most items dogs will drop quickly but if you're dog would rather play with the toy use something else small like keys, a watch or a plastic spoon.

If the dog already knows how to retrieve to your hand you can put your hand right above/in a bucket. I sit on the floor with the bucket right in front of me. Then I start fading out my hand.

If the dog does not retrieve to hand but does pick up objects, I start with my dog to the side of me and the object out in front maybe 6-12inches. The dog should grab and turn back to you and since you're so close it should fall int he bucket when you click the turn. You can also move the bucket to catch it in the first few sessions.If the dog does not grab and turn towards you then do this at the end of a hallway or set up a channel so the dog has no where else to run.
In the beginning I click when the dog's head is over the bucket, later steps I click the dog's head dipping into the bucket, and then finally not till after the dog drops it in. I'm always right there in the early steps and then slowly start standing away one foot at a time.

I hope that helps!

Dodge

:)thats fantastic help,thank you,will get to it as soon as I m off here :D
I think he will enjoy this training(y)(and so will I,giggle)

Dodge

LOL,turns out his "fetch" is quite rubbish(thought I let you know,as you ve very kindly taken the time to explain to me),as soon as he sees the clicker,he s expecting everything apart from play (well,in the house anyway) so am currently working on that one first of,cause he didnt want to bring me ANY toy while I had the clicker in hand,but he s slowly getting the idea,may just take a little longer then I first thought to teach the tidying part :LOL:
Will let you know when we re moving along and progress to cleaning up :)

Liseepea

This is a behavior I have wanted to teach for a while. We, especially my husband, hate it when we trip on dog toys at night or kick the kong across the room. We have just started retrieve so it will be a while but its a good one.

JoAnne

That was a lot of help, thanks. Last night, I was laying in bed thinking this thru and thought about using the lid of a shoe box because he wanted to pick up the square basket I was using like he does with a round, handled basket we use for 'carry'. Then instead of bringing the item to me he just laid down and chewed on it. Some concepts he picks up on so quick that I tend to get frustrated when he doesn't pick up on everything like that. He takes off my clothes SO well, it's hard to GET dressed around him! That and he knows when he 'helps', I'm in for the day and when I get dressed, he may have to be alone.

Laura Carter

Here is a little video I made of tidy up your toys with my dog Bear. It also stars my cat Inca as Bear couldnt reach the ball that was sitting on top of my desk.....

Elliot DMDS

Your videos are too cute!
This is Elliot doing his tidy up.
I devided this behavior in 4 parts,
first one was hold an object over the basket (after the click he would drop it then into it)
second was getting objects that I had thrown
third one was getting objects lying on the floor with me pointing at them
forth one was putting it all together!

Jukes

I taught Jukes this one a few months ago
he already had a solid retrieve and knew that 'toys' meant every toy, so I just got him to fetch the toys and then like the posts above, put my hand over the box and got him to drop it whilst saying 'tidy'- then immediately rewarded with a treat (I have one food crazy dog):)

Over time I slowly got rid of my hand until he just dropped it in when I gave the command 'Tidy'
How's your dog doing with this? - it's one of Juke's most useful tricks

JoAnne

I taught Jukes this one a few months ago
he already had a solid retrieve and knew that 'toys' meant every toy, so I just got him to fetch the toys and then like the posts above, put my hand over the box and got him to drop it whilst saying 'tidy'- then immediately rewarded with a treat (I have one food crazy dog):)

Over time I slowly got rid of my hand until he just dropped it in when I gave the command 'Tidy'
How's your dog doing with this? - it's one of Juke's most useful tricks

JoAnne

Is he a standard Aussie? He's beautiful! Ash is doing just ok, I still have to put a shoebox lid right under him and as soon as I clicked he'll drop,andt now I've started adding the word 'drop', but I like yours better so I think I'll change the cue; thanks1