Three Dogs!

brody_smom

Experienced Member
Yanno I don't know just how old you are but I am guessing younger ....
These may not be the dogs you necessarily wanted or hoped for but maybe you are just the person they wished for.
Obviously they are bonding to you for some reason ...

And if you are "younger" I am thinking you have plenty of time to get the dog you want and under your own terms.
I was thinking the same thing. Much as we don't like it, while we are living under our parents' roof, we don't get to make our own decisions. Your time will come, but, for now, you can do a good thing by giving Skye your time.

MaryK

Honored Member
I agree. The first dog my late Mom bought me was a Cocker Spaniel, I wanted a German Shepherd but aged 3 years old my Mom decided that a GS was a little too large. So, here I was under strict supervision from my Mom of course, learning to care for a dog but not the breed I wanted! Yes, I had a 'thing' for GSs from almost birth;)

But I learned so much from my first dog, even though of course I didn't do everything, patience was the BIG thing I learned. Any one with Spaniels will know just how hard you work to get their ears looking beautiful but with Darkie, she had other ideas and as soon as I had finished grooming her ears (I would sit for ages with a little brush brushing them - good hand eye coordination learned too) she would go and drag them through her water!!!!!!!!!!! Even at that age I was 'frustrated', but with the help of my Mom I learned to be patience and accept what happened.

So, even though you want a different dog, be happy with Skye, learn all she has to teach you, we learn so many lessons from our dogs, and one day you will get your chosen dog, just as I did!:D

freedomdreams

Yanno I don't know just how old you are but I am guessing younger ....
These may not be the dogs you necessarily wanted or hoped for but maybe you are just the person they wished for.
Obviously they are bonding to you for some reason ...

And if you are "younger" I am thinking you have plenty of time to get the dog you want and under your own terms.
I agree- as you are younger- unfortuntely it's more in the situation that it's really your moms choice and you will eventually get the dog that you want, on your own terms. There may be the chance that you might not even be able to take your current dogs with you when you move out. I thought I would have been able too, and that wasn't the case. I'm not trying to be a downer- I'm also just saying for other individuals that if it came down to rehoming the dog, from personal experience talking to parents on how they should do things.. never ends well, and unfortunetly maybe just dealing with it and mentioning things is how it is, but you have plenty of time to get a dog that you want when you can get one.. enjoy the ones that you have now.

Honored Member
I know I can wait, but I also know that I probably have more time to deal with a puppy now then I will in the (very rapidly approaching) future.
I don't really mind waiting another year (mum feels a bit guilty though), it's just a little disappointing because I have been thinking about it for a long time.

I had discussed with Mum what kind of dog she wanted to get once me, Holly and Lewis move out (there has never been any question of Holly coming with me, we have a very special relationship, and she really can't be bothered with anyone else. Lewis was a little bit uncertain but it was looking more and more like I would end up with him, especially after he went through a recent phase of snapping at everyone else and refuses to go for walks with anyone else but me). We agreed that a Shih-tzu might be nice (small, low energy, would go to the groomers every 6 weeks to get a puppy cut). When mum's ready I was going to buy this planned Shih-tzu for her (since she bought both Holly and Lewis), and it was probably going to be next year once me, Holly and Lewis had moved out so that it would have no chance to really bond with me like the others have. It was only about 4 weeks ago that we discussed this.

But when it comes down to it I don't really mind that much, I tend to be pretty relaxed about this sort of thing, especially when I know that Skye's life has improved 100%. I'm just going to focus on Lewis' training a bit more and perfecting Holly's so she can move up in obedience. Holly got 2 clear rounds (out of 2, one was also a 1st place) at our clubs ribbon trial last night and at our last obedience comp the judge said Holly will probably move up to Novice soon, she just had a couple of wides. She needs 2 more qualifying certificates to get her Advanced rally-o title so she should have it by the end of the year.
I'm aiming to start competing with Lewis within the next 6 months too (in agility, rally-o, and obedience).

brody_smom

Experienced Member
But when it comes down to it I don't really mind that much, I tend to be pretty relaxed about this sort of thing, especially when I know that Skye's life has improved 100%. I'm just going to focus on Lewis' training a bit more and perfecting Holly's so she can move up in obedience. Holly got 2 clear rounds (out of 2, one was also a 1st place) at our clubs ribbon trial last night and at our last obedience comp the judge said Holly will probably move up to Novice soon, she just had a couple of wides. She needs 2 more qualifying certificates to get her Advanced rally-o title so she should have it by the end of the year.
I'm aiming to start competing with Lewis within the next 6 months too (in agility, rally-o, and obedience).
Sounds like you've got the right attitude about things. Congratulations on your good work with Holly and Lewis. Sounds like they keep you pretty busy! Are you at all concerned about Lewis' behaviour in training and competitions? I only ask because he sounds a bit unpredictable around people and other dogs. Brody is like this, I never quite know what to expect from him, so I assumed that I couldn't do obedience or agility with him because of the presence of so many strange people and dogs.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Sounds like you've got the right attitude about things. Congratulations on your good work with Holly and Lewis. Sounds like they keep you pretty busy! Are you at all concerned about Lewis' behaviour in training and competitions? I only ask because he sounds a bit unpredictable around people and other dogs. Brody is like this, I never quite know what to expect from him, so I assumed that I couldn't do obedience or agility with him because of the presence of so many strange people and dogs.
I think he could do sports. I've heard of people doing dog sports with there dogs who are dog aggressive. Some says it helps with their behavioral problem. You would keep Brody crated until it was his turn.

Honored Member
I started to write Lewis' journey but it was going to be too long and off topic so I'm starting a new thread.

Basically, Lewis is predictable. I know exactly what he is going to do (although he still isn't friendly).