Thinking Outside The Box

sara

Staff member
So I was having issues getting Mouse to do the "No" trick. She would back up, while doing weird spazzes with her head. Cute, but not what i wanted. So I blocked her from backing up from behind, but then she thought she needed to squish herself up against the block as part of the trick... aargh! driving me nuts... so I though about it for a bit... and came up with having her on top of a block (which is slightly longer than she is, and only 6" wide... worked like a damn! she quit backing up and I was able to move the targets back, and only click for the head turning behaviours that I want!!! she even learned a cue!

Sometimes, we need to think outside the box, in order for them to figure out what we want :)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I will remember this tip, next time i ever have Buddy moving out of the spot i want him to be in, for a trick, this tip might come in handy for that type of problem.

Anneke

Honored Member
Good thinking!!
Hmmm now you have given me an idea... I have been having some trouble with getting Jinx to stand at a distance... In our obedience exam she will need to down, sit, stand on cue, at a distance. She can do the down and the sit, but when I ask her to stand, she will come to me.
I have been training with her behind a barrier, like a chair on it's side and she will do the stand then, but wil try to move around it. Somehow she just doesn't understand, she can stand at a distance. Maybe if I put her on something, she will get the idea...
I will have to try this... thinking I might use the sofa for this... Pondering...:D