The Anti Dog Owner And Kizzy

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
How far does your puppy run, Atka? Just curious.

No one ever suggests one can not walk or trot or leash-train any puppy,
if you mistakenly got that impression from any post of mine,(?) it's just the distance recommended for trotting, or the distances recommended for actual running,
or the heights recommended for puppies to be jumping, seems to be debatable.

and no one has said the damage shows up in the puppy.
but later on, when it is mature dog, or even a senior dog, it could be prone to hip damage or early arthritis, but sure, as a puppy, the puppy will seem fine.

UtonaganAtka

no no im not saying your wrong sorry if my comment offended/upset i actually know that over-working your pup or making it run and jump about can cause early onset of arthritis i was recommended by my breeder when she stops growing at roughly 2 years old to have her hip/elbow scored so they could add it their health reports it's just where i am currently everyone seems to think it's okay to walk their dog once a week which saddens me , i was wondering if lack of excerise could cause athritis too? i had a boxer named Choice she was kept in a small kennel for 4 years before we took her from the breeder for free , she had never walked much and had pretty stiff legs , we couldn't walk her far but then the vet said she had arthritis :< , tbh i don't know why i was commenting i guess i was actually wondering if what i was doing was okay D8???im always terrified that i might be doing the wrong thing or i'll fail as an owner and a trainer , Atka is my first dog that is 100% mine , my parents use punishment methods of training and i wanted to prove to them that positive creates a better dog but they keep saying im failing D:

I don't actually know the distance but i roughly guess would be 4 miles in total (there and back home) however we do stay out for an hour or two , I have health problems so we need to rest often which i guess is good for Atka too she's a husky/german shep/malamute mix (Utonagan) so im unsure how long they can go or how far but she really loves walks and is full of energy I was actually hoping to teach her scootering when she turns one this June but idk if its too soon to start ? , i was told i can do a little bit of agility but nothing serious , we do a little in my training class , it's quite fun C: .Most of the walking is done on-leash at a heel , i used to let her off-leash but im working on a solid recall since she's took a step back with that x x i'll delete my comment as i didnt mean it to start anything , i was just curious.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
OH, i am always trying to egg ppl to walk their dogs at least twice a day.

For some dogs, this can help burn off energy.

For other dogs, the walk is relaxing.

Dogs were meant to explore and walk,
whether or not they are
high energy
or low energy,
all dogs should get walks.

AND YOU ARE SOOOOO RIGHT, there's way way way too many owners out there who come up 'reasons' why they don't walk their dogs, and you are right, THAT is a darn shame.:(

I myself think all dogs should get at least 2 walks a day. But we weren't talking about that.

i don't know who is right, i really don't. I don't know if the articles i posted saying a puppy shouldn't run or trot more than 1/2 mile til they are 12 mos old, or 18 mos old, or 24 mos old, (depends on which article you read) are true, or not. Some articles say how FAR a puppy can even leashed to walk, has limits, too.
i don't know who is right.?????? but, i just think ppl have a right to consider the articles, and read them over, in deciding how far to run a puppy.

There's ppl like you, who say "my puppy loves running" or that trainer who told the ohter person that "running is good for puppies" and so on, (and like one article says, no doubt puppies WOULD looooove to run for miles, sure they would)
aaaaaaaaaaand there's articles all over the internet saying the puppy's skeleton can get damaged as it's too soft to do a repetitive motion for any distance, til the bones are mature and "set".

i don't know which side is right.

And i have had an elderly dog.
not everyone has had their dog grow old yet.
so maybe that explains why i am worrywart about it. :rolleyes: maybe i am overly cautious, cuz i have lived with a dog who suffered bad arthritis.

i'd bet, IF i had NEVER ever had to see what it is like for a dog who can not run,
nor barely walk, and had a lot of pain,
i would bet i'd be just like you, "Puppies love to run! i bet it's good for puppies!"

UtonaganAtka

Actually my dog Choice was 13 she'd had arthritis since she was 4 , sadly she passed away but we do have an elderly dog named Baci she hasn't got arthritis but has epulis (many tumors in the mouth) C: so i do know what it is like to see a dog not able to walk and ive lost one and many other pets ect and i know that i have to be cautious with what my pup does but i also believe lack of it can cause problems too ,its hard to find the balance and i dont think "my pup enjoys it so it must be good with her" lol no she enjoys it yes but i know in the scorching heat that is not good for her to walk so on those days i barely go out at all so we do indoor activities , its good for a dog to have nice muscle so it protects the bones , i wont be doing anything like agility till she is 2 , we will stick to walking and slowly building length and time , i think its worse if i just suddenly from day one walked 2 miles lol ive been building up the length and time for many months C: very short distances and now she's at a decent one , plus my dog only tends to be walked once a day since my health but i do occasionally do 2 walks and shorten the distance (split it up ) i believe in the wild dogs all walk many distances a day however domesticated dogs are different so that would be wrong to think such thing lol

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
yes, again, no one but no one is saying don't exercise a dog, (???)

no one but no one is saying don't walk a dog. I completely 100% agree with you, on that, again.

Again, that is not what i am saying, and that is not what the articles are saying, either.

many many ppl think inactivity leads to arthritis, as, in both humans and dogs, the pain is worst after being inactive, or in the mornings when they first awake. but the damage that brought on those messed up joints may have occured years earlier.

but Definitely inactivity DOES lead to multiple health problems.

and again, i totally completely 100% agree-------inactivity is BAD for either dogs, or humans!! so true!!

but no one is saying "keep your puppy inactive". (?)

i guess, one would have to actually look over the articles, all over the internet, or on this thread, to fully understand the concerns listed in those articles.

Kim Abston

Puppy Magic

Don't touch me,
Don't lick me,
You smell and you chew,
Go away little dog
I do not want you!

Don't love me,
Don't like me,
I do not like you!
Go away little dog
I have better things to do!

Don't look at me like that,
All devoted and stuff;
Stop it this instant!
I mean it--
That's enough!

Oh, alright,
You can sit here,
But don't ask me to share
My bed or the sofa
I don't want you there!

I knew you'd be trouble
Right from the start,
I see I was right
Since you now
Own my heart...

Please, little dog,
Don't make me cry
I love you too much
To face this goodbye;
My heart will never be whole
Without you--
How, little dog,
Will I live without you?

Look at you,
Scruffy thing,
With a patch on your paw--
Go away little dog,
I've been here before...

--Kim Abston, 2012

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
awwwwwwww, love that poem!! yours more perfectly describes Kizzy and her owner maybe than this one does, but this, is one of my alltime favorite lil doggie prose, and KIzzy was a rescue dog.

I RESCUED A HUMAN TODAY by Janine Allen
Her eyes met mine as she walked down the corridor peering apprehensively into the kennels. I felt her need instantly and knew I had to help her.
I wagged my tail, not too exuberantly, so she wouldn’t be afraid. As she stopped at my kennel I blocked her view from a little accident I had in the back of my cage. I didn’t want her to know that I hadn’t been walked today. Sometimes the overworked shelter keepers get too busy and I didn’t want her to think poorly of them.
As she read my kennel card I hoped that she wouldn’t feel sad about my past. I only have the future to look forward to and want to make a difference in someone’s life.
She got down on her knees and made little kissy sounds at me. I shoved my shoulder and side of my head up against the bars to comfort her. Gentle fingertips caressed my neck; she was desperate for companionship. A tear fell down her cheek and I raised my paw to assure her that all would be well.
Soon my kennel door opened and her smile was so bright that I instantly jumped into her arms.
I would promise to keep her safe.
I would promise to always be by her side.
I would promise to do everything I could to see that radiant smile and sparkle in her eyes.
I was so fortunate that she came down my corridor. So many more are out there who haven’t walked the corridors. So many more to be saved. At least I could save one.
I rescued a human today.