The Anti Dog Owner And Kizzy

Amateur

Experienced Member
I've always thought that you can't really run a pup until the growth period has ended
that being said - they run and play anyways but I think it refers to (like anything) too much, too soon, is too bad. To much pressure on underdeveloped joints and stuff esp. on hard surfaces like the road -- puppies would probably run far longer to keep up with you than they might otherwise. Common sense is the key.

running_dog

Honored Member
i know that because of that experience, that not everyone has been through, i KNOW that i *AM* a worrywart about dog health.
i admit it!!:ROFLMAO:
If I'd had a dog with terrible arthritis I'd probably worry about that a lot too. Zac probably will have arthritis because of his long legs :(. But at the moment I get more worried when Zac LOOKS at me :LOL:.

Sounds odd doesn't it? worrying about arthritis is much more sensible! But there is a logic...

One day last week I was all set to take Zac to the vets but I just couldn't think what to say was wrong with him. All he did was keep looking at me, he never slept all day, just looked at me, but I know he looks at me like that when he needs help. The last time he looked at me like that he had a sewing needle stuck in his innards... this time it turned out that although it was a warm day he'd got himself a chill paddling in the river, HE WAS ASKING ME TO PUT HIS COAT ON. We really do have to improve our lines of communication O_o.

Apologies for the derail Kismet, I'm afraid it happens a lot when I'm around :whistle:.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
OH, Rdog, i sooooooo know what you mean about "the look"!!
Buddy is also extremely talented at conveying all kinds of "ideas" to me, by his facial expressions, or even just "the look".

Aren't dogs amazing!!??
It's also kind of cute, that somehow, somehow, the dog "knows" WE can fix it.

But besides going 'on alert' for "The Look", I can so easily understand, how ppl with young dogs, *might* not be nearly as concerned about taking steps to prevent old age problems. When our dogs are young, it's almost hard to imagine, that they ever will be old, nor is it easy to fully fully understand what living with an old dog might be like, if a person has never loved an "old" dog yet.

I'm glad I WAS WRONG that when ppl say "run" they mean fast walking, still, the links suggest that their concern is the distance the puppy trots, too. Some say "trotting" for only half mile tops, etc. some say less. Something about "repetitive motion" damage to soft bones, etc.

but i think Kizzy will be a most lucky dog to have a running owner :D when Kizzy is adult dog, i so so wish MORE dogs got chances to RUN!!!!!

SO SO FEW ADULT DOGS SEEM TO EVEN GET THE CHANCE TO RUN!! I'M ALL"FOR" KEEPING DOGS FIT,
AND GETTING ADULT DOGS TO RUN!!:D AND I STILL JUST LOVE LOVE LOVE KIZZY'S STORY!!!

Dogster

Honored Member
I TOTALLY agree with both of you about "the look". In my house, it usually means one of two things:
  • " Can I PUH-LEASE have that food you're eating???":rolleyes:
or....
  • " I know I'm standing right by the toy, but if you pick it up, I promise I won't grab it...."
Very predictable what happens next,:rolleyes: LOL:ROFLMAO:
Sorry for derailing the thread even more....

running_dog

Honored Member
the links suggest that their concern is the distance the puppy trots, too. Some say "trotting" for only half mile tops, etc. some say less. Something about "repetitive motion" damage to soft bones, etc.
I honestly don't think you need to worry about that in Kizzy's case. That repetitiveness and prolonged trotting isn't even happening yet - she's pootling (is that a word :confused:) around off leash, off road, sniffing, walking, running, just being a dog while staying within a reasonable distance of her owner.

LOL it's probably harder work for a dachshund or yorkshire terrier to keep up with a human walking pace for 100 yards than for Kizzy keeping up with her owner running for 30 minutes. I know that Zac is more comfortable walking beside me when I'm running - it is closer to his natural pace and he'd keep it up forever but have you noticed how fast little dogs have to walk, their little legs are a blurr :cool: do they even get taken for walks as puppies?

Dogster

Honored Member
When I TRY to run or jog with Shivon, she NEVER runs,:( I feel so slow.:ROFLMAO: She kinda looks at me as if to say: ":rolleyes:Mom, can you run A LITTLE faster??? Please??? This is bo-ring..." But you know how teenagers are, LOL:ROFLMAO:

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
my mum was a cat only person years ago when I was a kid until my father who worked on farms and was a meat and livestock inspector and a trainer of working sheepdogs brought home a young border collie that was going to be 'got rid of' on a farm he went to because she was considered to not have lived up to what she had been bought and trained for (sheep herding), and by 'got rid of', I don't mean that in a nice way... she was an amazing, intelligent dog and completely turned my mum onto dogs. They have a way of creeping into your unconscious and before you know it you love them and want nothing other than to please, love and care for them as much as they do for you! Love the story, Kismet!;)

running_dog

Honored Member
OHH, I thought she said she has a running belt. sorry!!!

"she has time to mooch in the woods and then run to catch me up"

"I'm trying to get her into a really tight "heel" so that I can run with her on my normal "road" routes as I'm currently driving out to the common so she can run off lead."

"I've also just invested in a hands free running belt"

Yeah you're right I forgot that... a running belt is on it's way in... but with an imperfect loose leash I should think that for the sanity of both of them it'll be some time before it is used for any duration :rolleyes:.

running_dog

Honored Member
When I TRY to run or jog with Shivon, she NEVER runs,:( I feel so slow.:ROFLMAO: She kinda looks at me as if to say: ":rolleyes:Mom, can you run A LITTLE faster??? Please??? This is bo-ring..." But you know how teenagers are, LOL:ROFLMAO:
Yes, I get that look a lot from Zac. It really does make me feel sloooooooooooooooooooow too.

Zac is so annoying when I'm running and he walks along just in front of me sniffing every other tuft of grass :( and still managing to stay ahead with a smug look on his face.

Next time we'll have to get short legged dogs, I bet a dacshund could make even me feel like I can run :).

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
yeah, like i said, i just do not know for sure if the articles all over the net, that say 4 miles is too far for a puppy under one year old
(some say dogs under 18 mos old, some say dogs under 2 years old) ---are right. or not. :confused:

the articles all seem interested in the distance the dog trots.....they seem interested in the ongoing repetition of the motion involved in trotting on the puppy's bones and tendons...... and some of them do use the word "trots", not a full speed "run".

some of the articles even say puppies shouldn't walk too too too far, either. It's the distance + the repetitive movements i guess, but i just don't know.

running_dog

Honored Member
I just think it is odd to generalise appropriate distances for puppies to walk or trot or run at particular ages. Even in terms of repetitive strain. One pup might take 10 paces to another's 20 paces, some pups have a comfortable lope others have to go flat out or nothing, some pups are heavier so impacting more on their bones and joints, some breeds mature faster than others...

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
yes, i saw some links suggesting that various breeds skeletons do mature even slower than other breeds' skeletons,
but it seems a big difference in distance, between most articles suggesting 1/2 mile, to 4 miles, but what do i know.

but i see the logic in your idea, about number of steps per mile for shorter dogs, so maybe for those dogs, maybe it'd be safer to shorten the distances for short dogs even more, not sure...

and maybe shorten it for heavier or larger dogs, too, who knows, maybe that is a factor, to think about, the dog's weight.
not sure...

sara

Staff member
IMO Off leash running is perfectly fine, as the puppy can have a rest, and honestly? I'd rather see an owner jog with her dog than leave it at home :) Unless it's a giant breed.

Yes, I get that look a lot from Zac. It really does make me feel sloooooooooooooooooooow too.

Zac is so annoying when I'm running and he walks along just in front of me sniffing every other tuft of grass :( and still managing to stay ahead with a smug look on his face.

Next time we'll have to get short legged dogs, I bet a dacshund could make even me feel like I can run :).
Ha ha, all I have to do is walk fast and my 2 Dachshunds are running :)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
me too! i'd rather a person bring a dog with them, absolutely!! My dog is almost always with one of us, rarely alone, really. Whoever is going anywhere, takes the dog, usually.

i'm just sorta being influenced by the articles all over the internet cautioning about the distances on a puppy's immature skeleton, cuz i have had an elderly dog.
it's left me a worrywart about protecting those joints.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
one option, could be, a person with dog under 12 or 18 mos, could do the off leash jog, with the dog, for 1/2 mile, and then, go to school yard, shut the fence behind you,
and jog the rest of the miles while dog is free to play around as one jogs or even runs.

then the dog won't be home alone.

my dog LOVES it when i take him to the track at a nearby school yard.

UtonaganAtka

oh i got many of the breeders saying i couldn't take my dog till she was 6 months that running around playing in the garden was enough <___> needless to say i never listened lol ive been going out walks since my pup was 8 weeks old we started off short distance frequently a day (sometimes 3 sometimes 4 ) , every month we'd add more distance and lessen the frequency , now we go very far once a day or if im feeling ill (since my health is bad) i will do short walks 2/3 times a day and my dog has excellent recall and leash manners because i started training since the day i got her! if i had left till she was 6months then i think she'd be terrible on leash and off leash xD; and she wouldnt be very social! she loves it and she will be 10 months tomorrow so more distance!