Territorial puppy

kasey

It's been a while since I've been on here and I wanted to post a question about why my almost 9 month old mini Aussie puppy is so territorial. I have an almost 2 yr. old mini Aussie that she shares our house with. Cruz, the 9 mo. old will growl and lunge whenever Belle walks by her if she is laying in her favorite spot or has a toy, or even when she's on the bed. She won't even let Belle get on the bed. I have to shush her and snap my finger and tell her no. But Belle is so shy that she usually just walks away. When Cruz is on the bed and Belle wants to jump up, Cruz will stand at the edge of the bed and "stare her down", so Belle feels intimidated and starts to whimper until I either hold Cruz aside and call Belle up before she'll jump up on the bed.

So first, I am wondering why Cruz is doing this. And second, what can I do to get her to stop this behavior?

It's strange because the two of them get along very well about 50 percent of the time. They play well together and seem to be pretty chummy. I just don't like the way Cruz acts toward Belle at times like this.

It's interesting too because Belle tries to be dominant at times, and she will stand over Cruz and even mount her and growl, showing dominance.

What do you suggest?
Thanks,
Kasey:dogmad:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
OH, i don't know about this, i just clicked here cuz i saw 'no replies' posted to you yet.

I see this post is 3 months old now, and i am curious what is going on between Cruz and Belle now...has this activity continued? Have the 2 of them worked it out?

I am keeping my fingers crossed, that is NOT earliest signs of dog-aggression,(which tends to undeniabley manifest at 9mos old) Tell me, does Cruz get on well with other dogs? Most likely this is NOT the early signs of dog-aggression, though...(which i myself feel is inborn)

and i hope it is merely the two dogs working out 'who is boss' kinda thing??? as Cruz reaches maturity, no longer a baby baby dog....??? i hope that is what you are witnessing..

If it is
just the 2 dogs working out between themselves "who is boss around here", i don't think there is much YOU can or should do about it, i am pretty sure that decision is up to the dogs themselves, and your interference will only short circuit the messages between the 2 dogs...i'm no expert on dogs by any means, but, that is just my impression, is, dogs all living together settle it out amongst themselves, who is top dog, etc.

I know a family who has dogs like this, the one dog totally rules the roost, bossing dog#2 around, it is how those 2 dogs are with each other...

Please update, and let us know, how it is going on now?

kasey

OH, i don't know about this, i just clicked here cuz i saw 'no replies' posted to you yet.

I see this post is 3 months old now, and i am curious what is going on between Cruz and Belle now...has this activity continued? Have the 2 of them worked it out?

I am keeping my fingers crossed, that is NOT earliest signs of dog-aggression,(which tends to undeniabley manifest at 9mos old) Tell me, does Cruz get on well with other dogs? Most likely this is NOT the early signs of dog-aggression, though...(which i myself feel is inborn)

and i hope it is merely the two dogs working out 'who is boss' kinda thing??? as Cruz reaches maturity, no longer a baby baby dog....??? i hope that is what you are witnessing..

If it is
just the 2 dogs working out between themselves "who is boss around here", i don't think there is much YOU can or should do about it, i am pretty sure that decision is up to the dogs themselves, and your interference will only short circuit the messages between the 2 dogs...i'm no expert on dogs by any means, but, that is just my impression, is, dogs all living together settle it out amongst themselves, who is top dog, etc.

I know a family who has dogs like this, the one dog totally rules the roost, bossing dog#2 around, it is how those 2 dogs are with each other...

If it is

Thanks, Tigerlily for your reply. I am happy to report that the "girls" are working things out. The aggression or territorial behavior still exists, but it has evened out more now. I think this is just how they are going to be with each other. Belle has become more dominant over Cruz, which I think is better, since she is the older one and she was here first. Maybe because they are two females together, and I did get Cruz when Belle was over 1 1/2 yrs. old. The breeder did warn me about not getting another puppy after Belle was over 1 1/2 yrs. Guess she was right in a sense. BUT, all that to say, they have worked things out and are continuing to as they get older. Thanks again! Kasey

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
OH good!!

Yeah, i think opposite gender dogs are more likely to become smooth friends, too, for next time, but, there are plenty of same gender dogs being pals. Glad it is working out.