Teething Puppy Breath

bigshowble

Hey all,

Our Yorkie is about 6 months old and is teething. Lately, his breath has been horrible. We've noticed this rancid odor just today. We gave him a bath today and attempted to brush his teeth, but a few hours later, he started to give off the same fishy smell. Is this just a normal issue with teething puppies or is this something much more important?

CollieMan

Experienced Member
It's really not unusual at all for a pup's mouth to smell quite unpleasant during the teething period. However, it can also be indicative of more serious problems. For that reason, I would recommend that you just ask your vet to take a quick look, so that you can have peace of mind, though I'm sure he/she will tell you that it's just part of puppy-hood.

Switching to a dry food instead of a wet (if you aren't already feeding dry) can sometimes help, as the wet food tends to get stuck between the teeth more easily, and therefore gets to rot in the small crevices. It's usually much smellier too. (It often has to be made artificially more smelly as it's usually so full of crap the dog would turn its nose up at it.)

leema

Have a look in your pup's mouth and see if there's anything stuck and rotting in there. :dogblush: There can be some pretty gross things in dogs mouths that make them smell!

kbox8

You know what I thought I was going crazy smelling his nasty breath all the time. Then I was in the car and my boyfriend said the same thing so reading this really has helped educate us. Now if we could just get him to stop farting!!