Teaching The Teeter Without A Bobble Board

whipple

Experienced Member
I only have a teeter to work with. Well Sierra is great on other things, we just need to learn some control (she's a flyball dog, so she's used to just RUNNING), and she got away from me and ran up the teeter and bounced down. Scared the crap outta herself. Well she's usually pretty good at getting back in the saddle and all, but I would love any ideas on getting her used to the movement without freaking her out. And I only have the teeter to work with.

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Try using household items. For instance, Fickla used what appeared to be a large storage container lid on a rolled up towel in one of Vito's puppy vids.

Get creative with some of the stuff around your house and see if you can come up with something temporary that's not as violent of a movement so she can get used to a more gentle movement until she's ready for the teeter. :)

I'm trying to think of other household items you could use but it seems I'm lacking in the creativity department tonight, lol! :ROFLMAO:
Or maybe you could find something tall to sit under the teeter, so it doesn't fall as far?

Hmm...
if you have a long piece of wood, maybe you could sit it on a stack of books, or something else??

Sorry, hope that's some help. :)

whipple

Experienced Member
Thanks. I ended up using a closet door last night. Its just that she's so big, that not much works (I tried a piece of drywall, but her 60lbs is too much for it to take). I might just have to give up and buy some wood for a board.

Dlilly

Honored Member
Thanks. I ended up using a closet door last night. Its just that she's so big, that not much works (I tried a piece of drywall, but her 60lbs is too much for it to take). I might just have to give up and buy some wood for a board.
I thought I was the only one who has ever used a closet door as a teeter board. XDD

Anneke

Honored Member
That's a good one!! Never thought of doing it like that!!
Jinx is ok with the slam, but in my agility group there is a dog that has a problem with it. I will advice them to try it this way!!
Thanx!!

fickla

Experienced Member
Other tricks for preparation: skate boarding, slamming doors close, knocking pop can towrs down

whipple

Experienced Member
Ooh, next time we go I might have to get out the table and prop that underneath. And I am definately going to do the bang game.