Teaching Shy

bellapup

I've heard that you can either squirt water at the dog's eyes or blow air at them to teach shy. My only concern is that I don't particularly want to squirt water in Bella's eyes. Are there any other methods I can use to teach this command to her?

dat123

Experienced Member
There are a few methodes you could try, to capture the movement of paw coming up to nose.
A piece of tape over the bridge of the nose, dogs hate sticky things on their nose, so they will try to wipe it off with the paw.
A 'scrunchie' ( elastic ring girls use in their hair ) , over the nose.
Blowing air on the nose works with some and not others.
This is defineatly a clicker trained trick, with the click being spot on timing, just before the paw touchs the nose.
Another thing which might work is, paw targeting , starting with dog in a drop, and your hand on the opposite side of the paw you want the dog to use. Ask for 'shake' or 'paw', then C & T.
Hope that helps.

bellapup

I thought there must have been some previous info on it before, I couldn't find it. I was probably searching the wrong thread. Thanks for the link, Jean!

Dat123, thanks for the pointers, I'll try some of them out. I tried blowing at Bella but she just tries to eat the air. *LOL*

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Along with the classroom lesson and Dave's tips, I've also heard that using the loop of your leash slipped over the dog's muzzle can be used to teach shy.

leema

I taught my dog to target something close to his face, and then used a clicker to perfect. :D