teaching my miniature daschund tricks

npd mechanic

Hello there all i am new this will be my first post. i have a miniature daschund we got her about a month and a half ago from another owner so i guess she is a rescue dog. we have been being her to training classes. we are going into week 6 of 8 and we need to teach her a trick. she knows sit and stay already and is starting to get the hang of lay down. but she isnt showing any intrest in tricks any ideas on a good starting point for her. she seems really smart and according to her teacher she is the smartest in our class. so im not sure what is going on so i was hoping someone that has more exsperiance can help me out. thank you all.
Derek

PS i dont know if this matters or not but she isnt even close to being a hyper dog. she is just a barker around new people. but i think that may just be the daschund in her.:dogsmile:

luna may

What type of stuff does she like? You could try 'gentle' patience tricks, like 'Hand', 'Bow', 'Roll Over' or 'Hide', or more active tricks, such as 'Hoop', 'Jump' and retrieve.
Hope it helps :doghappy:

npd mechanic

things she likes

she already does gentle and she sits and knows down but is sometimes stuborn to down. she will also play fetch and give you the toy back it you say leave it. we tryed drop it but we have been training her with her leave its at the class with stuff on the floor and she just took to leave it as drop it. i am trying paw but she just looks at me like i have 6 heads. i say Gemma sit, paw and then take her paw and then click and praise. am i doing it wrong? i am hoping that doing that over and over again that at some point she will put 2 and 2 together and just give me her paw. i am new at this so i can use all the help i can get. thank you again.
Derek

nereis

Another way to teach paw is to put a treat in your hand and close you hand around it. Hold it out to her and she will sniff at it and want to get it out. Wait, and after a while she will paw at your hand to try and get at the treat. The second her paw touches your hand, click, and open our hand to feed the treat.

leema

Okay, a bit off topic, but this is a video I absolutely love! Some trick ideas, too. :)
[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=xlyN0L4IMck[/media]

CollieMan

Experienced Member
That was just cruelty on me. Why was there no official warning that it was a Doggy-Dancing routine? :)

chevycgc

Ohhh Collieman, did you survive it? LOL just kidding. I thought it was very cute but then I don't find that sport as offensive as Collieman.

CollieMan

Experienced Member
chevycgc;5214 said:
Ohhh Collieman, did you survive it? LOL just kidding.
No, I had to go and shower. I felt abused, and humiliated, like I was little more than a pawn in leema's twisted game of evil. :)

but then I don't find that sport as offensive as Collieman.
I prefer the term "bizarre" or "peculiar", rather than offensive. :)

luna may

Oh shut up CM, it's so cute!!! :doghappy:

Uuuh, do you think I hurt his feelings??? :
Everyone cry together!
Choir:Aaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwwww (Aw-aw-AW-AAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWW!!!-Awwww)..... Poor CollieMan! (Man-man-Ohman-ohcollie-poor-man-poorcollie-oh-man-man):dogsad:
:LOL:

(Ignore me... Just me and my little evil orchestra of DOOM... Lalala :rolleyes:)

marieke

CollieMan;5183 said:
That was just cruelty on me. Why was there no official warning that it was a Doggy-Dancing routine? :)
I agree with you on the doggy dancing: it's silly. It's not so much the tricks they do but why on earth do they call it "dancing"???? And "doggie" instead of "dog"??? And what is up with that totally unnessecary music?

CollieMan

Experienced Member
marieke;5238 said:
I agree with you on the doggy dancing: it's silly. It's not so much the tricks they do but why on earth do they call it "dancing"???? And "doggie" instead of "dog"??? And what is up with that totally unnessecary music?
Oh noes! You've really gone and done it now! :)