Targeting Using Back Paws

bekah1001

Honored Member
Does anybody know how teach a dog to target using their back paws/paw. I have tricks that I want to teach and need to use their back paws/paw to target items. I want to teach my dogs to do a handstand and to hike their back leg up.

dogcrazy

Experienced Member
I don't know exactly but first teach your dog to back up, than teach then to back on to a small book and then make the object higher.

Anneke

Honored Member
Can't tell you... I'm working on backing Jinx up on a book, but she has no clue what so ever!!!:rolleyes::D
I want to teach her to lift her leg as if she was a boy dog when he pees.
I could get Cooper to lift his hind leg, by tickling his foot and clicking him for moving it. He is very sesitive with his feet(try clipping the hair between his toes...:rolleyes:) But Jinx just stands there looking at me, tickling her foot... That's when I started backing her up on to a book, but she hasn't figured out, why I click her.

Anneke

Honored Member
Well, I'm in no rush, so we'll see when she gets it:ROFLMAO: She has absolutely no clue, that she can move her hindlegs separate from the rest of her bodyO_o:D

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Not sure why all that jumbled mess got put in there. O_o
Also, I can't find it but I believe Azoogle had another video where she shows that she actually started with a much lower object than shown in that video. You start with something very very low, and work your way up, up, and up to a handstand.

sara

Staff member
Oliver does this. We're nowhere near a headstand though. I taught it by asking for a back up onto a large low box (laptop box) then shrinking the size and adding height to the box. After he learned to do this well, I would put a small box beside his flank, and clicked for him trying to put his foot on it sideways... that may not make sense, but here's a couple of videos.

This is the first time we tried the cock the leg trick, and we're refining the back onto a box trick

And in this one, both tricks are a little more refined

I haven't got a recent video of either trick, but he does the back leg lift on cue without a prop now, and he's on a much bigger box for his back onto a box trick.

Pawbla

Experienced Member
There is a thread about teaching hand stand but I'm not sure if that's what you are looking for, I guess not? It's kind of hard, teaching rear-end awareness, as far as I've seen. Not sure what you mean about "hike a leg up", kinda like when a male dog pees, like Tigerlily said?
Also Kikopup has some videos on teaching hand stand I think. I think it was Kikopup? Or this other guy with that cute German Shepherd, I think his name was tag-something, you can probably find him through recommended videos. He has an exercise that is supposed to teach rear-end awareness, in one of his videos about heeling (he actually never heels in any heeling video, he teaches the dog to go to a position and spin around using his back legs while mantaining his front legs fixed).