Taking off socks!

mewzard

Experienced Member
I got this from the service-aid section but I'm posting it here as she's not a service dog.
I spent a day playing tug and getting Oka to pull and giving a 'pull' command (just because i hadn't thought of it or done it before - turns out she kinda knew it). I also taught her to release with 'thankyou' as her 'drop' was kinda sketchy.

We spent about 3 hours over 3 days, going up through 'levels' til i video'd this; loose sock on hand 1/2 on, then completely on, tight sock on hand 1/2 on, then completely on. Then a loose sock on foot etc.
I have no idea how quickly most dogs would get this...she seems to catch on quick and i have to actually slow her down as she seems to make assumptions about what i am going to teach her.

Anyway!! video time: (i'm not sure if this'll work!) (Fixed Video - Jean)

http://www.onetruemedia.com/otm_site/media/shared/MontagePlayerBase.swf?v=1.34&p=d5bc40ce50875166db1168

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
This is a fun trick to teach, and so easy to apply to all articles of clothing. I was really surprised and how easy it was to teach and how easy it was for the dog to learn. Mud picked it up in just a few tries.

Great vid!!!

mewzard

Experienced Member
Thankyou! Thanks Jean for fixing the link!
She seemed to like learning it, I think i will try teaching her to take off zip-up jackets next.

Amy - Thankyou - she is beautiful...she's not a full shepherd, she is only 2 from the litter of 8 that actually looked shepherdy
. I get alot of 'oh thats how a shepherd should look' comments and then have to let these poor people down that she's a cross.
...she's still majorly gorgeous though!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Ohh, i want to teach this, i had no idea it was 'easy' trick....wonder if Buddy will think so. And yes, i soooo agree with the others, what a magnificent dog, such a sweet face, too!! He sure looks like he is so enjoying that trick!!

charmedwolf

Staff member
Jinx picked it up really quick. I was suprised. She had trouble trying to get it over my heel but other than that she was polite about her teeth though she wants to nibble the sock instead of pull somtimes.
Found out that I was really ticklish though!

fly30

Experienced Member
Nice trick. Thanks for sharing ! I'll have a go shortly and will let you know how it goes :)

fly30

Experienced Member
Very funny ! And quickly understood by Fly. I just showed her my foot with a sock and said "pull". She took my socks off and brought me my shoes (this I did not expect and it was really funny).

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Very funny ! And quickly understood by Fly. I just showed her my foot with a sock and said "pull". She took my socks off and brought me my shoes (this I did not expect and it was really funny).
Well that was quick! :) Now to make breakfast and a massage???

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
LOL! Sounds like something River would do!

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
Another trick in a similar category (tug) that is suprisingly easier then you might think to teach is zipper! Just have your dog tug on a string. Then attach it to your zipper have them tug. Then zip your zipper up a tad and have them tug. Gradually increase the amount they need to tug before earning their award. After they have learned that you can teach them to tug off your jacket.

fly30

Experienced Member
Thank you Jean ! Actually I'm having fun with Fly. I have made another funny one this morning, I'll be back in a minute to post it.