Taking A Step To The Side

Vizzla

Experienced Member
We like to do rally-o. One thing we struggle with is how to get Alf to take a step to the side. If I move one step away from Alf and want him to move close to me but he always face me and goes to my side, front first.

How to a teach him to take a side step?

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
A few things you can do.

Have you done any pivoting work, aka the "elephant trick?"
If done correctly, the elephant trick teaches your dog to stick close to your side, whether you're walking forward, back, or sideways.

I taught this to one of my dogs a long time ago, but it was long before I knew about the elephant trick. I used a treat at my dog's nose, with him standing beside me, luring him away from me just a tad. At the same time I stepped into him a little bit(not forcefully, just stealing his space so he wanted to move away from me--but the treat in front of his nose kept him kind of straight). We started out with just a teeny step, click and reward. Once he had the idea, then I'd reward only after two steps. Then three. And so on, until all I had to do was kind of wave my hand in front of him and step towards him and we'd sidestep several steps.

But, lol, I actually had forgotten until a few weeks ago that I taught him this. :ROFLMAO: Not sure if he'd still do this or not.
The elephant trick is actually a better way to teach this though. Kikopup has a great video on this. I personally kind of combine her way and Silvia Trkman's way. They are very, very similar. I think that maybe with Silvia's way the dogs have to think a little more. I haven't watched Kikopup's vid in a while; if I had time right this second I could explain the differences better...
Anyway basically if your dog understands that they need to follow your leg wherever it goes, then voila....you've inadvertently taught your dog to sidestep, heel in reverse, weave in reverse, and various other backwards tricks all while improving your heel. :)

Hope this helps. If you need more details feel free to ask. :)

Here's Kikopup's vid:

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Oh, and just a little more info on Kikopup/Silvia differences...
I just briefly watched Kikopup's video again, so I could have missed this, I don't remember if she does it or not...

Silvia teaches the dog to get good at a full pivot, and then starts stepping in the dog's way--basically conditioning the dog to come to her left or right leg, depending on which way she has them pivoting. Her dogs are a little "stickier" than Emily's. I think they "get" the leg targetting a little quicker this way, but I do combine the methods because I don't want a dog to be too "sticky." Watch both heeling styles and see which you like best, because ultimately this will also have a little bit of an effect on your dog's sidestepping style. Either way will work, you'll just get one that's a little closer to you than the other I think. :)

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Think I'll give this a go with Bella and Jenny aswell. I've just started trying kikopups stay on Bella. I find her videos very helpful.

Vizzla

Experienced Member
When I tried the kikopups trick - stepping on to a cover he starts to chew on it? I have revarded him puting both his paws on it but he always starts chewing. Im afraid to revard the chewing instead of him getting the messages of his paws on the cover. Do I do this right? I put the cover (from a lunchbox) on the floor between us, then when he walks to me and put one paw on the cover I click and reward. But he always starts chewing! :confused:

Anneke

Honored Member
Instead of giving him the treat, try tossing the treat away, so he will have to move away from the target. If he doesn't see you throw the treat, let him snif it and then throw it away. That will prevent him from chewing at your target(hopefully:D)

Anneke

Honored Member
Or if throwing the treat doesn't work, then you can try moving away from the target yourself. Luring him with the treat. So dog steps on target,click, you quickly move away and treat. Walk back up, dog touches target, click, you move away and treat.
If that doesn't work, you might have to take a step back and start rewarding for only looking at the target. Clicking before he can start chewing.

Vizzla

Experienced Member
Im so proud of us! We almost got the backing up betwen my legs and the elephant trick! I never thought we could do it! :) :) :) My dachs is so smart!

Vizzla

Experienced Member
One question! Do you use som kind of command when dog go up on the cover? I just point on the cover and he walks up to it and puts his paws on it..

sara

Staff member
I use "Paws Up" as a command for anything I want my dog (I only have one hearing dog in my house LOL) to put both front paws on. So I can say "Paws Up" and point to or pat whatever I want Oliver to put his front paws on. including jumping up on me, putting his paws on my arm for pray, Elephant trick, balancing tricks, etc.