Stop Puppy Mills-be Aware

Dogster

Honored Member
I would just like to post this message for everybody to be aware of puppy mills (I'm sure most of you heard of them before). This makes me very, VERY angry.:mad::mad: This video is very disturbing and sad, and there are thousands of these types of conditions for dogs all across North America.:cry:

Again, this is just for people to be aware of puppy mills, nothing personal. I just want to spread the message to STOP PUPPY MILLS!!!!!!
:mad: :cry: :mad::cry: :mad::cry: :mad::cry::mad::cry::mad::cry::mad::cry::mad::cry::mad:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
THANK YOU DOGSTER, FOR POSTING THIS, too few of us are even aware of this horrible epidemic,
and the video is right, almost ALL puppies bought in pet shops ARE born of breeding dogs living horrific terrible, eye-watering conditions in puppy mills.

80% of the AKC puppies being sold in america are from puppy mills, or backyard breeders.:mad:

A breeder supplying the new owner with an AKC certificate, in NO WAY guarantees that you are not accidentally contributing to the whole puppy mill nightmare with your wallet.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member

but once the puppies are all washed off, and have that over-valued "purebred" certificate, those puppies sure ARE cute!!! oh they are!
but you gotta find out WHO is getting your money.

go to PETFINDER.com instead, and rescue one of the millions of homeless dogs in need of a loving human willing to give the puppy or dog in the dog pounds just a chance.....just a chance to show how much love they have, too, even if they've "lost their papers".

Dogster

Honored Member
OMG, OMG.:cry::cry: I have nothing to say.

But I can say this:
WHO IN GOD'S NAME WOULD DO THIS TO DOGS?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?:mad::mad::mad:
WHY IS MAN'S BEST FRIEND BEING TREATED LIKE THIS!?!?!?!

THIS HAS GOT TO STOP!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:
Why, why??? ANYONE, ANYONE who is considering a puppy from a pet store, READ THIS THREAD AND WATCH THE VIDEOS FIRST. Only evil people do this to dogs.

(Sorry, I'm REALLY angry. It's hard to express it online) And sorry, this thread is really depressing, unlike the others on DTA.:confused:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Dogster, it wont' stop,
til everyone stops keeping them in business.....til we all stop paying them to do this.

I'm pretty sure, ppl who buy their dogs from either backyard breeders, or puppy mills, are simply UNAWARE that their wallets ARE keeping these criminals in business.

if the money stops, they'll have no reason to make a living off a dog's uterus, cranking out litter after litter after litter, cuz ppl WILL PAY top dollar for dogs with AKC certificates.

Dogster

Honored Member
I know it won't stop. I watched an episode of "Dog Whisperer" (don't worry, it has nothing to do with him "rehabilitating" any dogs). He collaborated with the Humane Society of the United States. They went to a puppy mill and filmed (undercover) what was going on there. The videos were gruesome. They did manage to rescue *I think* 5 or 6 dogs, but they couldn't rescue all of them the puppy mill was still partly (barely) operating by law.:mad::cry: They also tracked down a pet store that sold those puppies (filmed undercover) and the owner and workers DENIED EVERYTHING. Oh, how I wish people weren't so cruel.:mad::confused::cry: :sigh:

southerngirl

Honored Member
I've watched a couple of undercover people go to puppy mills and I also watch animal cops where they close down puppy mills and find them all homes. The conditions are horrific, its so sad that anyone could do that to dogs but sadly there are and they don't feel bad about it.
I'm glad to say that Petsmarts in Georgia do not sale puppies or cats, local humane societies take there adoptable animals up there to find them a loving home not sure if its the same for Petsmarts in other states and I'm not sure about Petcos.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Southern Girl, makes a good point, there ARE some petsmarts, pet supply stores, that DO help humane societies adopt out their dogs, BUT, these dogs are clearly labelled as "for adoption" from the humane society, (there are still the adoption fees, of course, but the cash will NOT end up in unethical breeders hand) but this is a good point, Southern Girl makes.

also, some Petsmarts, and the like, will sponsor adoption days, etc. and there will be humane society volunteers in the store, or just outside, with an array of available dogs, so, this is a great point you bring up, Sgirl.

but the bulk of pet shop pets, are all from puppy mills, all of 'em. UNLESS labelled as a humane society dog being displayed for adoption.

dogcrazy

Experienced Member
Here there is 1 pet store still operating that sells dogs and cats.:mad: And I mean 30 dogs a month!:mad: The pet store is covered in dirt, the cages are wired, the cages are covered in poo and the people there are really scary!!!! People have complained to the city of Mississauga but nothing happend!!!!:mad: Some people are so cruel!!!!

Dogster

Honored Member
Also, they don't sell dogs at most of the pet stores here. At the Petsmarts, they have a couple of events (like Tigerlily said, adoption days) when puppies and adult dogs for adoptoin are brought in. Most of the pet stores have been shut down or not allowed to have dogs. But like Dogcrazy said, there is 1 in our area that bothers many people. The conditions for the puppies there are HORRIBLE!!!!!:mad::mad: To add to Dogcrazy's description, some of the puppies are held in, well, basically AQUARIUMS. Very small tanks. Not kidding.:cry::mad: Also, ALL of the dogs there have diarrhea.:cry: It's sooo sad.:cry: They sleep in their scat.:mad: (the real word I want to use here , umm, I shouldn't.:rolleyes:) In Canada, the province with the most puppy mills is Quebec. At least they're trying (here in Ontario) to stop puppy mills.

sara

Staff member
ALL Petsmarts do not sell puppies, they partner with rescue groups to help adoptions of their animals. PETLAND, and PJ's PETS are getting out of the puppy market, and using their huge draw for good now, they have turned to rescues as well (not ALL Petlands yet, but they are slowly changing) I used to boycott our local Petland, but now dont have to! I told the till clerk that once, and she said "all our puppies came from licensed breeders" I didn't want to get into a big argument, but I did say "there's no such thing as a licence for breeders, there are kennel licences, but that's it, and anyone can get a kennel licence" Poor brainwashed workers. I work with someone who used to work there, when they sold puppies, there were alot of puppies who came in sick, and alot who died.

I once read that if you want to abuse animals in NORTH AMERICA, live in Quebec. Their laws are almost non-existent Puppy Mills abound in Quebec, however Quebec is redoing their laws and hopefully, making changes for the better.

Dogster

Honored Member
Yeah, PJ's pets got rid of their dogs here in Ontario. Never heard of Petland. The store Dogcrazy and I were talking about is an independant store called Pet Mart. It's true Sara, the brainwashed workers always say that. I asked the same thing, but at Pet Mart, and one brainwashed worker said: "Oh, they come from a breeder on a farm". Yeah, right.:rolleyes:

I never knew that laws were almost non-existant in Quebec. Thank God I don't live there.(y)

jackienmutts

Honored Member
I live in a small town on the central coast of Ca, and w/in 5 miles of me are 3 petshops that all sell animals - it makes me sick. And it makes me sicker at how much they all advertise, all the small "designer" dogs they have (they even list them in their ads), etc. It's disgusting. I went in one place one day because I wanted to see if they had listed on the cages anywhere where their animals come from. I searched and searched all over, and found a sign way off to the side that you'd never see unless you searched and searched (like I did), in teeny tiny print, something like all our animals our purchased thru individuals. That was their way of saying they bought them from "puppy brokers" and was their "release" from saying they bought from puppy mills in case anyone asked -- no, they came from a "broker" so they could technically say they did not purchase from a puppy mill. I wanted to hurl. Of course I was not puppy shopping, both of mine came from GS Rescue - I was just snooping. I purchase my supplies from the local feed and supply place - I refuse to give any of these shops one cent of my money.

I've tried and tried to educate people in their tactics - but it amazes me at how many people still see the cute little puppies, and refuse to believe that the puppy mill horror is really out there. It's that kind of "that's not where my puppy came from" mentality. I think when people walk in and buy a puppy, they want to close their minds off to that "other stuff" and believe that their puppy came from a loving home, a loving breeder who just happens to sell to pet stores. Uh, yeah, right, ok. If only we could sit outside the petshops and run videos of puppy mills . If only.....

sara

Staff member
Ahh you guys were typing Petsmart, so I assumed you were talking about Petsmart LOL You know, some people dont even know what a Puppy Mill is?

Zoe is an ex-breeder dog from a puppymill, and she is the saddest case I've ever seen. It took YEARS for her to trust, and after 8 years, she is *almost* normal. SHe brought me to tears almost every night, and I often thought about putting her down in her first year with me. It cant be a good life being literally scared of your own shadow. But she started to slowly get better, and I began to think she'd make it, and now she's an awesome little member of our family! And she even took a move to a strange house in Ontario (3 days drive from here) to live with strange people (my sister, BIL, their 7yo) and 2 other dogs, with my Mother and Scout, she never had any issues adjusting... silly girl!

Sorry, I digress.

I'm happy I dont live there either, but my sister, and now my Mom live in Ottawa, and hear about alot of puppy mills not too far from them, it's a very sad, and serious problem, btu hopefully, with petstores everywhere turning away from selling puppies, they'll not be able to make money, and will close down (yeah, I know, likely a pipe dream, they can always sell on the internet, but I like to be positive!)

Dogster

Honored Member
I'm glad Zoe's getting better!!!!:LOL: I never knew that about Zoe, oh that must have been terrrible... But I'm glad you rescued her!!!! In puppy mills, the worst you can be is a female breeder dog.:cry: They breed puppies all the time. It's SOOO SAD.:cry: I'm glad Zoe survived. I think one of the reasons why people get dogs from pet stores is because they are cheaper than dogs from a breeder. YET THEY DO NOT THINK ABOUT THE MILLIONS OF DOGS IN KILL SHELTERS THAT ARE ON DEATH ROW. THEY DON'T THINK ABOUT DOGS IN SHELTERS AND HUMANE SOCIETIES. Even if they know about puppy mills, they might still think that they are *rescuing* a dog. Wrong. They are *rescuing* puppy mills from going out of buisness. When they buy a puppy from a pet store, all they are doing is making room for yet another puppy mill dog to take its place.:mad:

sara

Staff member
i dunno about cheaper... Petland would sell pups at exorbitant prices $1200 for a maltipoo :eek:

Zoe was only a year and a half old, poor dog, if she'd been there longer, she likely wouldn't have survived :cry:

Dogster

Honored Member
Woah... didn't know they were THAT expensive... :eek: Pet Mart would sell dogs for $300, $400, $500, only the small dogs were more expensive. I also noticed that they started to sell more mixed breeds + designer dogs later on ( I used to go to pet stores A LOT).