Stop kitty litter tasting

bellapup

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me with a little issue I've been having with my 11 week old puppy. I know they're prone to putting things in their mouths but mine has not only swallowed a few small rocks, she's now trying to get into the cat litter box to eat cat stool. I can't imagine it tastes good, but she seems drawn to it. I haven't tried putting bitter apple in the litter, but I'm concerned if I do spray something funny, the cats won't like it. Is this just a puppy phase, or potentially a bad habit? :doghuh:

leema

Dogs love cat poo. :D I'd be moving the litter tray somewhere the puppy can't reach, I don't think he is going to be able to resist the temptation.

You could teach your cats to use the toilet, instead!

bdale777

Yes, it is true, dogs LOVE cat poo!! I love the idea of training the cats to use the toilet :) let me know how the training goes!

minimalva

Hej
I know this problem very well and I am training my cat by using a Litter Kwitter. You can find at litterkwitter.com
It is not easy for an old cat to learn but we are slowly making progress.

bellapup

:doglaugh: I never thought kitty poo would be a problem.

My cats are older, however, and probably less trainable than puppy. I'll see if there's something I could use to prop the litterbox higher. Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad to know my puppy's not the only one with wierd taste!

storm22

Experienced Member
koda love cat poop, dam her she got some today on our walk (gotta do some leave it training again)

froix

Well it's good to know my dog's not the only one who loves the taste of cat poo. :dogtongue: It's not like he's not being fed or anything but yeah I just place the litterbox somewhere the dog can't get to. Any suggestions on how to stop your dog from licking the cat clean? :msntongue:

good_doggie

the question is do you have a cat?If you do,maybe he likes the smell.I just dont know.I will post again if I get more information.

pikachu_10

hiya! Its not good to mix cat and dog right well you know that sometimes in our house well here is a tip
1.let the dog and cat fight but it is not a good idea.
2.keep your dog away from the cat.
this is a advice needed!:)

bellapup

My puppy Bella nibbles on the fur of any cat she can get to stay long enough near her like a mommy dog cleaning her pups. :doglaugh:

The cats actually enjoy playing with her and even tease her. If Bella plays too roughly, she gets a swat from the cat. The cats have never clawed her, they seem to know she's a baby so they hit her with claws hidden. Cleaning the cat is a whole lot better than having a dog/cat fight in the house constantly. :dogtongue2:

dreamr802

I think that dogs do like cat litter. I do agree that you need to put the cat litter somewhere where the dog can't reach it because dogs don't really jump and get all the places that cats do.