Stick Your Tongue Out

Elliot DMDS

Hi all,

I've been watching several videos on dogs sticking their tongue out on cue- such a cute trick! I had to give it a try....

We are not there yet, but it just looks sooo funny watching him trying to get it sort out :ROFLMAO:

sara

Staff member
Gawd he's adorable!!! I soooo want him!!! I love watching your videos :)

fly30

Experienced Member
I love this dog !!! Poor chap, looks so complicated ! He's so involved !! Lovely !

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I LOVE THIS TRICK, it's one my FAVORITE tricks, of all Buddy's tricks, this might be my alltime favorite to watch.

we do this one daily, but i call it:D "smile".:D
http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/when-youre-smiling-the-whole-world-smiles-with-you.3555/#post-24504

Rewarding my dog, who is NOT the smiliest dog in the world,
for smiling,
has made him a far more smiley dog.

whenever i catch Buddy smiling, i lavishly praise him and fuss over him, so he smiles more. I've even seen him smiling, and said, "Oh, Buddy's got a SMILE, yes! Yes, i see that SMILE, so you get a walk!" and take him on extra walks.
so of course, now Buddy comes up to me, smiling,:D to see if he can get extra walks!

then, i tried to teach him to lick his lips on cue, "Does Buddy like kitty cats?" and he licks his lips,
but,
doing that
http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/lick-lips-trick-so-easy.4108/
messed up his smile. I guess *my* dog can only do ONE mouth trick, lol.

but yeah, when my dog smiles on cue,
it always makes me smile, too,
is
such
a
great
great cue.

xena98

Experienced Member
that is cute how did you teach that. I was thinking of peanut butter or something like that
cheers
Danni and the girls

Elliot DMDS

Thank you!

A spanish friend of mine did a tutorial on that trick, I put my video as a response to it, but here is the link:
The way I did it, was I offered Elliot some food but had my fist closed, when he tried licking it,
I clicked. I guess it would also work with some peanut butter, but I think these things are harder to fade out later, since the dog is so distracted and might find it hard to THINK about what he is doing. If you keep the signal (hand closed to fist) but start moving your hand further away from your dog, he may be reminded of licking :)

Have fun!

xena98

Experienced Member
Thank you for that. Just had problems trying to understand the writing lol but I got the jist of it so I shall practice that one. We are on a holiday break from competition in obedience and agility so now it's back to trick training for something to do. Am trying dancing with dogs so have no idea how that's going to go. Dont have no dancing bone at all so have no idea how we are going to do it but continue on trick training dont have to be a dancer lol
Thanks for replying straight away though
cheers
Danni and the girls

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
OHhhhhh, i thought you were training your dog to smile on cue., an open mouthed, tongue hanging out smile.:p

I just 'captured' my dog's smile, it only took him a few days to figure out exactly what he WAS being clicked for.
I ran room to room, and stop, and look at my dog..........Buddy always smiles when i run:ROFLMAO:

He'd sit and smile at me, wondering what fun game is this running around about?
c/t "SMILE, goood boy, SMILE" I kept c/t so long as he was smiling.

in a few days,
he could :D "SMILE":D on cue.
but, i guess there is lots of ways to teach a smile..

If anyone can teach their dog to both tricks,===smile, and antoher trick of lick lips, let me know, i'll try it again if i hear it CAN be done.:ROFLMAO:

xena98

Experienced Member
Dodne a training session today with the clicker and we got lots of tongue happening. Also alot of our other tricks got into as well lol. Tried with my border collie and she got upset about it and walked off but Gabby thought it was great. Shall keep at it lol

xena98

Experienced Member
lol crikies I should check my spelling but anyway have been doing it and she is putting her tongue out not the big licks right up to her nose but getting little ones but I am also getting bopping the head up and down and sideways and shy and qc and backing up has been very interesting and she is catching on but the next question is how do you keep the tongue out say a few seconds instead of the snake in and out lol.