Stick Out Tongue

sara

Staff member
Is that ever cute!!! I want to try this one! Watch now you'll have everyone's dogs sticking out their tongues! LOL

Ina

..hehe .. totally addicted to YouTube - nothing can escape my watchful eye :-)

I started shaping the tongue out behaviour - it's easier than I thought (y)

abby_someone

Really? How are you doing it? I have just started on clicker training, so I am just learning "shaping". Ok, I am completely new to this. My new puppy just turned 9 weeks old today and this is the first time I have ever tried these techniques. We are working on "sit" and "touch" right now (y). The tongue thing is pretty cute!

I love your YouTube addiction. I benefit from it every day;).

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Oh geez, that's a riot!! Aaah, brother, something else to do this weekend....:p Can we say ... trick challenge??? :LOL:

Ina

Really? How are you doing it? I have just started on clicker training, so I am just learning "shaping". Ok, I am completely new to this. My new puppy just turned 9 weeks old today and this is the first time I have ever tried these techniques. We are working on "sit" and "touch" right now (y). The tongue thing is pretty cute!

I love your YouTube addiction. I benefit from it every day;).
The shaping/capturing is quite simple. Whenever your dog does the desired behaviour you click and treat. I am basically walking around with my clicker and treat bag all day :)
To speed things up a bit I noticed that he will lick his lips whenever I lick mine. Once he is in 'licking mood' I happily click away. Right now we are at a stage where I wait for the tongue to stay out before clicking - that might require some patients (on both sides ..hehe..)

Ina

This video really explains in great detail everything you need to know about clicker training. Well worth watching - especially on shaping behaviour.

reveuse

I've been having a hard time with that ina. Everytime I pick up tje clicker ro just becomes zeroed in on the fact I'm holding it. Even if I pick it,up in secret.....it works ok if im wearing something with a pocket but thats quite rare as its sooooo hot in florida. So I just mark with a "yes or good" but its not as effective for him..... Silly dog

Ina

I've been having a hard time with that ina. Everytime I pick up tje clicker ro just becomes zeroed in on the fact I'm holding it. Even if I pick it,up in secret.....it works ok if im wearing something with a pocket but thats quite rare as its sooooo hot in florida. So I just mark with a "yes or good" but its not as effective for him..... Silly dog
Actually this is a good sign. Ro is just looking forward to training.
Patience is in order :)
Get the clicker and let Ro see it. Keep clicker behind your back. Load your other hand with treats.
Now wait patiently for calm behaviour. Don't move, don't click - just wait. If Ro is looking behind your back for the clicker, ignore. This might take a while - be patient. ;)

reveuse

Actually this is a good sign. Ro is just looking forward to training.
Thats putting it mildly LOL! ..... Few things excite Ro so much as the clicker and a handful of kibble.... And if I ask him if he wants to go see Penny (trainer) he runs to the door (even if he is nearly passed out on the couch)... Of course the words "camp" "grandma" and "Willow" (his girlfriend) , all elicit the same response. -- I think soon ZoomRoom is going to be on his word list also.

If I put treats in my hands (or even open them on the counter sometimes) I get an entire run through of tricks from him. And when I sit there holding the cookies and not dishing them out for his awesome performance of 583932 things he shrieks then gives up and walks away pathetically.

Yes lots of patient waiting involved in morkie shaping for sure!

Ina

That's so sweet - be happy he is so enthusiastic. Imagine how bad it would be the other way around (I am one of those people that always assume the worst - this way I am permanently happy because the very worst scenario can never happen. If one of my kids break a leg I tell them how lucky they are to have one ONE broken leg <snicker>)
And Ro knows so many good tricks already :)
Teaching the tongue out without a clicker is just another challenge for the trainer :D

abby_someone

That is a LONG video! BUT, it was really great!! Thank you for the link. I will bookmark it because I think that it will be a much needed resource until I get the hang of clicker training.(y)

Ina

That is a LONG video! BUT, it was really great!! Thank you for the link. I will bookmark it because I think that it will be a much needed resource until I get the hang of clicker training.(y)
Glad you liked it. It's definitely no waste of time watching it.

I love the games they play to get you into the right timing with the clicker.

This video sums it all up :)

mewzard

Experienced Member
Reveuse... Oka does the same thing ... running though trick. often the last thing we worked on...which it good but soemtime a little O_o when you want them to stop and pay attention!!

Laura Carter

Very cute. Just shows with positive training you really can get any animal to do anything it is physically capable of doing on command. (y)

fly30

Experienced Member
I love the way this dog pulls out his tongue :)

I've just taught Fly to lick her nose when I say "yummy !", I'll have to filme it. I used a clicker. Dogs do this naturally maybe hundred times a day so I clicked when she did it. Also, try to lick your lips yourself in front of a dog, he will certainly respond the same, so you can click. When the "game" is well know from the dog, you can add the order.