Standing On Two Side Legs

Elliot DMDS

Standing on the back legs is pretty easy to lure,
but our newest task is standing on two legs of one side.
Elliot can lift every leg on command and this is our fifth session on asking for two legs at the same time.
I'm still allowing him to rest his back leg on me in this video, it takes some time for the muscle memory I guess. I will keep you updated with the progress he makes.

fly30

Experienced Member
Very original for giving the dog back legs consciousness. This could be a start for Fly and I for other tricks we find difficult because she is not really aware of her back legs.

Good work Elliot :)

fly30

Experienced Member
This tutorial is excellent, thank you so much ! Not only for rear end awareness but for different working basis.

Fly can already turn around with her front paws standing on something and describe a full circle. But she would not go back in a straight line as I wanted her to back on a book or a stair. She avoided obstacles behind her and would not lift her back leg. We sorted it out a minute ago by adding chairs on each side, then she understood what I wanted (most of the time, if a dog doesn not do what we want, it means they don't understand). I filmed it and will show you where we stand.

I think I will try a few things I saw on the video you gave us. Thanks again.

Elliot DMDS

great idea with the chairs, yeah, we should make it easier for our dogs if they don't get it at the first try.
Are you training the back up thing to get to the handstand? Looks pretty good so far!

fly30

Experienced Member
great idea with the chairs, yeah, we should make it easier for our dogs if they don't get it at the first try.
Are you training the back up thing to get to the handstand? Looks pretty good so far!
Thank you Elliot. I might try handstand if it's ok but I think this trick is a bit demanding for dogs shoulders. What do you think ?

Elliot DMDS

I think if you take really small steps and allow the muscels to grow it should be okay,
I guess Fly is not really heavy? I wouldn't do it with Elliot since he has almost 40kg and thats a little much for the front legs...

Anneke

Honored Member
I haven't tryed this with Jinx yet. A while ago I did start lifting front leg and hind leg on cue, but somehow I didn't get very far. I'm a bit messy with training, I'll be working on one thing and then think of something else and go and do that... That is probably the reason why Cooper has so many tricks that still need a lure...:oops::D
But it looks great!! Really funny to see how he tries to get his balance!