Stand Command

dustyashes

Hello,
I've already trained my dog to stand but it's on her hind legs. I say stand to get her to do it. If i want to teach her the stand tought here how should I phrase it? Or should I change the previous command stand to something else? Would it confuse her? Also can you train more than one trick at a time?For instance can I teach her speak and then a couple hours later teach her a new trick? I also don't have a clicker. Are they essential? She knows quite a bit but she was taught without a clicker. Thanks

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
dustyashes;22 said:
Hello,
I've already trained my dog to stand but it's on her hind legs. I say stand to get her to do it. If i want to teach her the stand tought here how should I phrase it? Or should I change the previous command stand to something else? Would it confuse her? Also can you train more than one trick at a time?For instance can I teach her speak and then a couple hours later teach her a new trick? I also don't have a clicker. Are they essential? She knows quite a bit but she was taught without a clicker. Thanks
Hi! Welcome to the website :D

Since your dog already understands that stand means to stand on her hind legs, I wouldn't change a thing. You can just use a completely different command for the one I teach. Let your imagination go wild! :D

You can train more than one trick at a time for sure! But it is less confusing for the dog if you train only one trick per training session. For example you could train stand in the morning and speak in the afternoon. :)

A clicker is not essential. You can use a word (it should always be the same), I trained my dogs to respond to the word "Yes!". Although you will eventually need a clicker once we start "shaping" behaviors in the advanced levels.

Good stuff... I hope this helps you out and if you have any questions let me know!

dustyashes

Thanks

Hey thanks for replying. Just so you know on your level 3 plan for shake it seems to be teaching switch instead of shake.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
dustyashes;24 said:
Hey thanks for replying. Just so you know on your level 3 plan for shake it seems to be teaching switch instead of shake.
You are very welcome! I am gradually writing and recording all the lessons and making sure they are right as I go along :) I will get to level 3 soon!

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
dustyashes;27 said:
I'm not sure if I could do much but if you need or just want help, I'd love to.
Thanks for the offer! The best way to help is to periodically check this message board and to help other members! :)

harry

You have trained you dog to stand on his two legs and I have watched practically many dogs walking and running on their two legs only

zcoonhound

We use the word "getup" instead of stand simply because that is what I say. Maybe you should pick another marker word for the stand. I don't think that there is a "rule" that you can only use a certain word for the trick markers. We also use hand signals for our tricks as well. Each trick has its own hand signal so we can get Z to do them without speaking and it keeps her focused on us.

storm22

Experienced Member
also pick different sounding words i made the mistake of teaching storm to spin left (twist) and spin right (turn) and found he was only spinning left (i taught him that way first) then realized twist and turn sound similar:dogwacko: so im trying to re-train spin right to the word 'spin' not 'turn' :dogbiggrin:

yoyopoodle

storm22;6234 said:
found he was only spinning left (i taught him that way first)
Storm is probably 'left-handed' - most dogs have a side they prefer to use, whether for waving, turning, or spinning in the air to catch a toy etc...

zcoonhound

dustyashes;22 said:
Also can you train more than one trick at a time?For instance can I teach her speak and then a couple hours later teach her a new trick? I also don't have a clicker. Are they essential? She knows quite a bit but she was taught without a clicker. Thanks
How is your stand trick going?
I have worked on two tricks at the same time I just make sure that each short training period is only on one of the tricks, and if possible I try to use different areas to do the training for the two tricks until she understands what is required and the voice/hand signal commands. Then I bring them together and add in previously learned tricks one at a time until she can work up her whole repertoire of tricks.