Squirrel Hunting

achieve1dream

Experienced Member
Has anyone on this forum ever trained a dog for squirrel hunting? I am planning to train Jackal to be a squirrel dog, but have never done it before, so any tips would be appreciated. My dad has trained them before so he is helping us, but you guys might know something special that he doesn't. So let me know if anyone has any tips. Thanks!

l_l_a

I have not (in fact I struggle constantly to train my dog to leave squirrels alone!) but I would be very interested in hearing how your squirrel-hunting training goes!

achieve1dream

Experienced Member
I will keep you updated. Unfortunately I live on the outskirts of a big city and don't see many squirrels (VERY different from where I grew up), but I can take him to my parents house an hour away. Now those are some VERY spoiled squirrels. They won't even get out of the driveway when we pull in. I am taking him down there Saturday to let him get his first look at the little buggers. :dogbiggrin: I'll let you know how it goes!

splitz831

My two girls LOVE squirrels...the problem isn't getting them to hunt them it's getting them to give up on the them once they've run up a tree. I didn't train them though they just love them, lol...Once Luci caught a squirrel in her mouth and she was so shocked she got it that she let it go...(Thank god) but I swear she told her sister about it and ever since they've been crazy.

I suggest getting the really realistic squirrel toys and playing with them at home, then they will associate the squirrel with something they are allowed to go after (but be care frul my girls have ripped the stuffing out of more then one toy, lol)