Spayed Dog-overweight

karleee

Experienced Member
hey guys....my nanna has a bordercollie/kelpie too,and he is spayed.

the only problem is he is OVERWEIGHT,alot!

he dosn't get fed to much,in fact he is on a diet,is it just because he is spayed?
i know of many fat spayed dogs soooo.....yeah :p

karleee

Experienced Member
He is dazzles first cousin (his mum was dazzle's dad's sister before she passed :cry:)
Her aunty was also a wonderdog-owned by my sister,renee rice,who is actually on here (under that name)!

fly30

Experienced Member
I think it all depends on the activity you dog gets. Fly was spayed at the age of 7 months and has never had any weight problem. She weights 17,7 kg which is normal for a border collie of her size (50 cm high). She's not on a diet at all but has enough activity.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
I think that notion that spayed dogs get fat is an old wives tale. My last two females (both Germ Sheps) have both been spayed, and my boys have all been neutered - and none have had weight issues. They all get loads of exercise, however. Have you ever heard the saying "If your dog is fat, YOU'RE not getting enough exercise"? :confused: Unless he's got some kind of medical issue, when animal or human is fat, it's because of too many calories in vs not enough being used. You say he's on a diet - then how about increasing the amount of exercise he's getting? How much exercise does he get every day? And you say he's not eating too much - but how much is he eating (really)? Maybe he's not eating too much out of his bowl, but is he getting lots of snacks? It all adds up. Be real aware of every morsel he puts in his mouth, and try really increasing his exercise - then watch, I bet you'll see results.

karleee

Experienced Member
well,my nanna takes him for walks every day,and throws a ball for him for about 1 hr 4 times a day,he has 1 and a 1/2 cup of biscuits and bearly gets any snacks.....his biscuites are low calorie....and let me tell you,my nanna may be 74,BUT SHE IS ACTIVE....and n0t fat ;)

karleee

Experienced Member
i don't know,HE ISN'T mine,and he dosn't live with me,sooo yeah,just trying to get some info for her :p

sara

Staff member
Has the dog been tested for hypothyroidism? My Springer got fat, and no matter how often she was walked and how little we fed her she just kept getting fat... we thought it was because she was spayed, but that wasn't the case, when she was 6 she nearly died. The vet never suggested that we do blood tests, even though she went to see them every year... I think they thought she was just spoiled. We nearly lost her due to extremely high cholesterol, and her eye bulged out...

BUT I have had 6 other dogs, 3 neutered, 2 spayed and one intact, and though we have a hard time keeping Scout and Zoe trim, my 3 neutered boys have never had issues keeping trim.

karleee

Experienced Member
hmmm,im not quite sure,as i said he is my nanna's dog and dosn't live with me so,yeah....but he is quite fit,just really fat :confused:

i'm not sure,as all my dogs have been intact (never have been bred though) as we live on a farm and really havn't had any need to spay as there arn't many wanderers out there :)

my dad used to have a kelpie as a sheep dog,was spayed,worked till early morning till late....and was feed a reasonable amount-and was fat...so-im not sure ;)

fickla

Experienced Member
Typically dogs do need fewer calories once spayed/neutered. Of course that is no excuse for being overweight! The dog isn't the one putting the amount of food down, the owner is...

If the dog truly is not eating that much food (and I've known dogs that are 50lbs that only need to eat 1.5cups per day) then I would take him to the vet for a thyroid checkup.

karleee

Experienced Member
Typically dogs do need fewer calories once spayed/neutered. Of course that is no excuse for being overweight! The dog isn't the one putting the amount of food down, the owner is...

If the dog truly is not eating that much food (and I've known dogs that are 50lbs that only need to eat 1.5cups per day) then I would take him to the vet for a thyroid checkup.
Thankyou,i'll sudgest it to her :)