She's A Bit Of A Braggart..

stdpoodad

Experienced Member
But she still doesn't need to say "That was easy"

We're working on getting her to consistently touch the button with a firm touch since the Easy Button requires a hard press to activate.

Suggestion?

running_dog

Honored Member
Teaghan is doing great. She's almost there (y). However looking at your video I think maybe she doesn't know where "there" is yet.

Perhaps I'm totally barking up the wrong tree but I'm wondering if it is to do with you currently clicking her foot returning to the floor, so she thinks, "Paw on button, paw on floor = treat." I can see that you are clicking the sound of the Easy Button but Teaghan is used to the click marking her behaviour not the behaviour of the objects she interacts with.

I think the fact that when you withhold the treat for a moment and she just stands and stares at you rather than whacking the button again and saying "Look!!! I hit the button where's my treat!" indicates that she is seeing the foot on the floor as being what is earning the reward, so she is looking at you saying, "Look! My foot is on the floor, gimme my treat!" Also the fact she's not hitting the centre of the button suggests she is skimping.

If I was you I would click the instant her foot makes contact with the button every time, giving single/ordinary treats for silent paw contact but jackpot (or buffalo brownie:)) the ones where the Easy Button speaks. That way you are giving her a bigger reward for whatever was different about her behaviour when she hits the Easy Button hard enough.

Hope this helps :)

stdpoodad

Experienced Member
I think you're exactly right RD. It wasn't until I maade the video that I saw how late I was with my click. I was waiting to click until her foot pressed the button down fully, but I *should NOT* have waited until her foot was back on the ground.
Thank goodness for video.:-)

stdpoodad

Experienced Member
I did exactly as you suggested RD. I had cheese in a pocket and buffalo brownies in my treat bag. I clicked and gave her boring old cheese for just touching the button.
I jackpotted her with buffalo for stomping the button.
It took maybe 2-3 minutes, it was clear she knew the difference!

running_dog

Honored Member
I think you're exactly right RD. It wasn't until I maade the video that I saw how late I was with my click. I was waiting to click until her foot pressed the button down fully, but I *should NOT* have waited until her foot was back on the ground.
Thank goodness for video.:-)
Easy to see by hindsight and video. But such a simple mistake to make - clicker timing is one of those things I could always work on more. I find video very useful for evaluating my training sessions, there's nothing quite like it really.

I did exactly as you suggested RD. I had cheese in a pocket and buffalo brownies in my treat bag. I clicked and gave her boring old cheese for just touching the button.
I jackpotted her with buffalo for stomping the button.
It took maybe 2-3 minutes, it was clear she knew the difference!
Great news! (y)(y)(y) I'm really pleased for you both. I love it when the barrier to learning is something like clicker timing and rewards - once you see it it's so much easier to fix than when it is the dog who doesn't get the concept.