She Can Weave!!!!!!!!!!!

Honored Member
Well done!!
She looks good and has decent speed (y)

Weaving is definitely something that a lot of people struggle with. Especially at the lower levels of agility (where me and Holly are) winning a round can come down to which dog/handler didn't screw up the weaves.
Doing weaves in a competition is so much harder than in practice, the handler is usually nervous and doesn't fully trust that the dog will do it so they end up accidentally pulling the dog off when the dog probably could have done it if their handler wasn't so nervous!

Evie

Experienced Member
Thanks everyone! So excited about the prospect of getting her out to a competition!

Have you used Susan Garrett's 2x2 Weaves? Her dvds are in our public library.
Nope. I trained it the way my agility instructor suggested.... which was basically lure/reward/repeat. In the beginning the weave poles weren't standing upright though, they were angled making it easy for her to almost walk straight down the middle of them. Once she was confident with that we slowly made the pole stand more vertically until they were straight. Then it was just a matter of practise until she was confident enough to bounce through them :)

Evie

Experienced Member
Well done!!
She looks good and has decent speed (y)

Weaving is definitely something that a lot of people struggle with. Especially at the lower levels of agility (where me and Holly are) winning a round can come down to which dog/handler didn't screw up the weaves.
Doing weaves in a competition is so much harder than in practice, the handler is usually nervous and doesn't fully trust that the dog will do it so they end up accidentally pulling the dog off when the dog probably could have done it if their handler wasn't so nervous!

I have a feeling our first competition will be a complete disaster! But that's ok :) I'm used to competing young and inexperienced horses so I realise that our first few (lots) of comps could be more of an exposure thing for Evie (and me) and only after we've both settled into the whole competition thing might we actually have a chance of doing ok :p

MaryK

Honored Member
Congratulations to both of you(y) Great weave and she's got good speed too!

Would you p.m. me with where you're going? The Agility place near me (West Beach GS Club) I didn't like, neither did one of the nurses at the vets, but I would love Leaf to do Agility at a good, positive + place.

Evie

Experienced Member
We don't actually go to an agility club, it's just a local private property who's owner has experience in Agility but I think it might be too far out of Adelaide for you? (over an hours drive from the CBD..) However, it was perfect for Evie, because she's such a sensitive little soul, one bad experience and she'd be scared for life, but my instructor is great and now Evie's as confident as ever! Not even the see-saw (teeter-totter ) thing scares her! It was especially important for us that our instructor NEVER, not once, tried to touch/pat Evie. It helps that she's had experience with Shy collies before :) Evie's even done the unimaginable and happily allowed one of the other dogs' owner TO PET HER!!! :O!!!

I have considered joining a club around West Beach - is probably the same one you're talking about - simply because it's cheaper and would be a great experience for Evie now that she knows the ropes a little better, but I'm not all that sure I was to drive all the way over there. A couple of the people I train with are members and attend sometimes, but they too have mixed feelings about it. I guess like all clubs it has it's good and bad people/dogs/trainers.

MaryK

Honored Member
Wonder if it's the vet nurse's place. She's on a property down south and has her own private Agility Course, plus she will only use P+. Trying to remember her name as I don't usually see her, think it was Mel or something like that, but could be way out. Met her when Zeus was very sick soon after Rakins crossed, so mind wasn't as clear as it normally is.

Leaf's very sensitive, though unlike Evie she loves people, but like Evie one bad experience and she'd be frightened for life. She's quite a shy/reserved dog in many ways too, another sensitive little soul. Thrives on praise and cuddles and just being very close to us all the time.

Will have to speak to Robert, he's the driver, he may agree IF there is somewhere he can go and walk in the country side, he likes that unlike me, so fingers crossed. Also will depend on time/day etc.

Thrilled Evie was so confident and happy she allowed someone to PAT HER!!!! WAY TO GO EVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(y)

That would be the same club, there's only one in West End. They train at the German Shepherd Club, which is from memory, a road off Tapley's Hill. I went to a visitor's night but too much noise, not much in the way of P+. I know Leaf wouldn't like it there, she doesn't like a lot of noise/shouting etc.

I love Leaf to do Agility, as she adores the puppy course at school and LOVES any tricks involving jumps - well she is a Kelpie:D But must find a place where she'll be understood and well treated.