Scout broke a Molar, how? and is it really painful???

sara

Staff member
I was checking Scout's teeth, as I periodically do, and I discovered a broken Molar, I think it's fairly recent, as there is a chip that moves and wiggles up high and starts it bleeding again. there is no infection, but it sure looks like it would be painful. She is showing no signs of pain, is eating normally, and I can touch it without reaction. I am calling the vet tomorrow, but it looks like Scout'll have to have it pulled. poor baby! I would never have noticed something wrong, If I didn't have a habit of checking teeth. But I wonder how the heck she broke it? Molor's are very tough, and her teeth are in excellent shape for a 6 year old dog, very clean and white. She gets knuckle bones, but they're not hard enough to break a healthy tooth.... So weird, I have no clue how she would'a broke it and it's driving me nuts!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
OUCH, indeed molars are tough and hard to break. Even if it's not hurting now, it could get infected--major pain. Good that you've called the vet to get it fixed ASAP. No idea what to tell you about how she might've broken it...but hope you figure it out. :) Let us know how the vet visit goes!

snooks

Experienced Member
It can be very painful but dogs are masters at hiding it.

Are these raw knuckle bones?? They are indeed hard enough to break a molar. More so if they are sterilized, smoked, cooked as this makes them harder. A fresh knuckle can be refrigerated in a zip lock and re-used for 3-4 days but I usually toss them after that b/c they dry out and become more brittle. You're doing right to use knuckles and not the more brittle weight bearing long bones.

A canine dentist will probably read you the riot act on bone. I feel like it's a weighted risk to keep clean teeth and having healthy chewing outlets. One of my dogs planar fractured a molar on a hard nylabone and those are much harder than natural bone. It's good to go ahead and have this treated and or take you dog to a canine vet once a year to check for fractures. Some planar fractures are nearly invisible. You did a good job checking and found a problem. Even if not infected now it most likely would have become so and gotten painful and/or abcessed. Bacterial infections that start in the mouth from broken teeth and bad dental health can settle in the heart and be fatal.

The biggest thing that I hit upon that keeps them from breaking teeth is getting big enough knuckles (and not sliced ones) that they can't fit them between their back teeth to crack the bone or their teeth. Then monitor their bone chewing to be sure they don't break it up small enough to get between their back teeth. Try Bison too since they tend to have bigger knuckles.
:dogbiggrin:

sara

Staff member
Thanks! Yes they are raw knuckle bones, and Scout isn't a large dog, so the smaller beef bones are fine for her. I got the tooth removed yesterday, I HATE leaving my dogs at the vet, especially Scout as she's deaf and her world is much more isolated than normal dogs. My vet is absolutely amazing tho, he put her in the kennels closest to the action, so she could see them working, and didn't feel so abandoned. they spent quite a bit of time with her.... I have used this vet for nearly 15 years (I was only 12 when we started using him) He is amazing and knows my dogs (and apparently me) inside out and backwards. My dogs see him VERY rarely, as they are very healthy and rarely have anything wrong, well aside from broken teeth! Greg says that sometimes teeth just break on the weirdest things. i just hope this isn't a trend. Scout has very good teeth for an almost 6 year old dog, clean and white, her front teeth and canines are completely clear of any discoloration and plaque. she LOVES rope toys and they are keeping her teeth very clean! The little brat stole my other dogs' bone last night (same night of her surgery) and was chewing on it, we grabbed it right away, and Poor baby but we didn't want her to open her stitches. She was so groggy and loopy last night. And now she is constantly licking her lips.... so it's really bugging her, but she is back to normal this morning. Thank goodness. I will continue giving her bones to chew on tho, as I think its very important for them to chew. I've had dogs that dont and their teeth rot so fast, but the dogs that do chew, have good, healthy, strong teeth, my 15 year old Springer never had any issues with her teeth, she chewed all the time, as old as she was.... my 15 year old terrier had almost all of his teeth pulled, he wouldn't chew.

sara

Staff member
Ok now I am gonna be broke.... Zoe broke the EXACT same tooth. I am totally going to quit looking at my dogs' teeth on Sundays LOL this time it's a crack down the middle, width wise. And Scout has an ear infection.... It's a good thing I save for this crap. next week, it'll be Ollie just watch. Obviously the raw knuckle bones are still too hard. I am going to have to find something different! Zoe I am not surprised at tho, as she has horrible teeth, we've had them cleaned a few times, but at 6.5 years, she has teeth rotting right out of her head. I know that she's going to need some other's pulled, but we were waiting 'till later spring, early summer to do it as it's going to be expensive. but now it cant wait, so I am going to have to pay for it now as Zoe is technically my Mom's dog, but my Mom can't afford it. THIS IS NUTS!!!!!

snooks

Experienced Member
AWWW bummer. I learned there are times of day when puppy will destroy anything I give her to chew b/c she's bored and in the mood for more play etc. Evenings are a no bone times b/c she's so aggressive on chewing everything at that time. Mornings after breakfast are better. I also usually pick up bones after they get the connective tissue off b/c of this propensity to chew hard. My older dog delicately pulls at the tissue and marrow but puppy just destroys bones. Some dogs if not weaned on raw bones don't develop the ability to chew them less aggressively.

Have u tried instead stuffing beef tracheas with goodies and freezing? They are pretty short duration plain but stuffed and frozen they could enjoy something hard but not so hard as to break a tooth. The next best long lasting chewy after a raw bone for mine, that is tooth safe, is a bully stick, the jumbos or curled ones last longer. Mine both love those and take about 30 minutes to eat one without any tummy upsets later. They also are hard enough to chew that they keep teeth pretty clean. Bully's don't come apart like rawhide in big pieces, are not cured with chemicals if you buy them just washed and dried. I stopped rawhide after having some injuries and reading about the chemicals they use to rot and deflesh the hides.

Sorry to hear about Zoë's tooth too :dogohmy: My teeth hurt thinking about it. And ALWAYS Sunday night at the ER is the way it goes.

sara

Staff member
I've given bully sticks before, they all love them. BUT they are somewhat expensive, the beef knuckle bones I get for 15c a pound. but obviously not a good buy for my girls. Ollie is a baby so he should be fine with these still. I think the girls just went so long not liking anything I gave them to chew that once i found something they liked, they just went nuts. and they are middle aged so maybe their teeth aren't as strong? hmmn, anyway I'll use your suggestions for them. I dont want anymore broken teeth!!!!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Oh goodness...St. Patty wasn't good to you, lol!! Perhaps we should all send you four-leaf clovers. Hope everyone's on the mend...and maybe just in case Ollie should be quarantined on soft food. xDDD

snooks

Experienced Member
hurley bones

Yes the bullies are a bit pricey but some places on line have them in bulk cheaper and I buy 50 or 100 at a time and keep them in the freezer. With free shipping it's not too bad.

Also I got a Hurley bone in the quest for thinks that puppy couldn't destruct. They are guaranteed to be stronger than a nylabone and non-destructible. If ur dog destroys it they will replace it. It is soft and made of some kind of non-toxic plastic. So far she likes the Hurley which comes in balls and bone and a few other things. She also has not been able to get any pieces off it which is unusual.

I'm not sure how clean it would keep teeth but it is a safe chewing outlet. You might try that and tooth brushing. According to Whole Dog Journal brushing only needs to hit those areas not accessible to touch and abrasion by the tongue. So the upper outside molars top and bottom and the outsides of canines. This is where any tartar I see always builds up when my dogs aren't doing bones or bullies.

You might find it cheaper elsewhere, this is just the first one that came up when I googled it. :dogbiggrin: