Scout And Zoe Are Moving To Ontario :(

sara

Staff member
I know you all think they live with me, but they live with my Mom an a shared custody arrangement :) . Here's the story.

Zoe went to live with my Mom years ago, after my non-routine life proved too unstable for Zoe to cope... she needed a place where she could expect the same thing at the same time, everyday, so she went to live with my Mom. She was still my dog, I payed for food, treats, vets and all that, but my Mom made her better. I moved back in with my Mom for a couple of years, and in that time I/we adopted Scout. Again, she was my dog, she went everywhere with me, I spent tons of time training, and helped her reach her potential as a perfect dog :) but then I rescued Oliver, originally as a foster, but when I decided I couldn't let him go to anyone else (his issues were too great), I had to move, as my Mom's condo has a 14" height limit, and at 6 mos old Ollie was already 16 3/4"

We decided that Scout would be happier staying with my Mom, as she'd already been through 5 homes in 4 years (3.5 years with her first family) and she didn't like Oliver, he was too much puppy. I adopted Mouse after I moved and Ollie proved unhappy without another dog.

This arrangement worked well, my Mom had the companionship she needed through some seriously rough times when my Sister went on tour in Afghanistan, and my Mom and Scout have seriously bonded. My Mom doesn't do any training with Scout, and doesn't remember half the hand signals for her, but neither Scout nor my Mom care. Scout is the best snuggler, willing to be used as a teddy bear at night, and always ready with a kiss (and pets... yes Scout pets us! LOL she gently taps our faces with her paw :love: ) She has truly become my Mom's dog....

And now my Mom is moving to Ottowa, to be closer to my Sister and her soon to be grandchild... Lauren miscarried a couple of months ago, but is pregnant again, though not far along, so we're not telling anyone until the 3 months is up.

And Scout and Zoe are going too :cry:

Ottowa is approx an $800 round trip flight, or a 3 day drive from here, so I wont be able to visit often, and I worry so much about Oliver, as he can be so dangerous, I have a friend who is a behaviourist, who'll look after him for me, but I've never been away from him :cry: Boo and Mouse can stay with anyone, they're such happy little monsters, but I'd probably bring Mouse with me and leave Boo with Oliver... But that wont be for a long time, possibly next Christmas... I cant go this year, as I have to buy another vehicle:cry:, so cant afford the trip.

I'll be alone for Christmas, without Scout and Zoe for the rest of their lives... I'm going to miss them sooooo much! I want to do more clicker training with Zoe, I want to do more demo's with Scout, and teach her more tricks... I'll never be able to do another video of them, I'll not be with them at the end of their lives. They're 8.5 and 9.5 now, so they wont be with us for many more years, maybe only a couple of visits before we lose them.

My heart is breaking. They're leaving tomorrow :cry:

Scout

Zoe

Amateur

Experienced Member
This must be hard for you.
But look at it this way, you know they will be well loved and ....
doesn't this just open up a little more space for a couple more lost souls out there for you to rescue ?

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Oh, Sara, i 'm so sorry, oh, i am getting choked up to think of this, and these aren't even my dogs, so i can't even imagine how much your heart is breaking. Scout and Zoe were lucky dogs to have walked beside you. It is a comfort to know, they will be much loved and will provide joy to your mom, too, but, i'd have trouble letting them move so far away, too. Hang in there, Sara.
>HUGS<

(btw, i also thought same thing that Amateur did, too....)

sara

Staff member
I cant adopt any more dogs, as three is the limit. I often had the girls with me, but they weren't permanent, so they didn't count. Once Zoe get's through the 3 day drive across the country, they'll be fine, and happy, like now, but it's just really hard... Scout is that once in a lifetime dog, and I am having a very hard time with this.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Oh Sara, I'm so so very sorry. My heart is also breaking for you. :cry: I literally got choked up reading your post - I don't know how I'd ever part with one of mine. Yes, you'll know that they're good, and safe, and loved, and in time, that will make it all ok. But I know that right now, and especially tomorrow, your heart will feel like it's breaking in two. Both your mom and your sweet pups are leaving - that's so much to think about and deal with.

Scout's face just melts me into a puddle - I can understand how easy it must be to love her to pieces. And Zoe, good heavens, what a doll-baby! Know that you've given them all they need to have a fabulous life. Please don't focus on how much time they may/may not have left. It may be much more than you think, and you may surely get to see them again. You know they'll want you to be happy, as that's what their hearts always want for us. Maybe after your mom is settled, she could video the pups sometimes -- granted, it's not the same, but at least you could see them. And, does she skype? If so, at least she could show you the pups once in a while -- that's about the closest thing to a doggie-phone call that I could come up with. :confused:

I've been blessed enough to have had 3 "once in a lifetime" dogs (I counted, I've shared my life with 14 dogs so far). I have a good idea of what you're feeling about now. Please try to focus on how lucky you both have been to have shared so much of your lives, how wonderful it was to have loved (especially) Scout - and know that you're both better because of it.

Jukes

I'm so sorry - I'm feeling for you right now
Just think what a fantastic life you've given them and what a fantastic life they will continue to live with you mum - they are truly very lucky to have someone who cares so much about them - I know it's hard right now but hang in there and it will get a little easier especailly if you can arrange regular photos and videos to be sent

sara

Staff member
Thank you guys so much. I honestly dont know how I'm going to get through tomorrow. We've been so busy this last week, I haven't had a minute to stop and think until this afternoon, when I was playing with Scout, and lost it:cry: I grabbed her and hugged the stuffing outta her and we had a good snuggle... She usually makes me feel better, but not today.

I'll be fine after tomorrow, I haven't lived with Scout every day for over 2 years, so it wont be something I think about all the time or anything... but weekends'll be hard for awhile (the boys, Mouse and I usually spend most of the weekend with my Mom, Scout and Zoe) but Oliver, Mouse and Boo'll get the benefit of that.

I dont want to upset my Mom... she's feeling bad enough about this move as it is, but I'm afraid I'm going to bawl my eyes out tomorrow.:cry: And it wont be because she is moving away... it'll be over the dogs. I'll miss my Mom, but I'm nearly 30, I can live without her... the dogs... well, let's just say I'm rather attached.

I'm going to bed, hopefully I can sleep, and hopefully I'll be tough tomorrow... fingers crossed.

Anneke

Honored Member
My thoughts are with you Sara!! How very, very difficult to have to part with your two baby's!!
I had to part with a dog once, we were moving to another country and couldnot take him along. although we left him in good hands, that does not take away the pain of never seeing him again(or in your case hardly seeing them)

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
Oh Sara, I'm so terribly sorry for you. This must have been such a hard day for you. At least they will be well cared for. I know that's not much consolation...
Take comfort in knowing what you've done for both Scout and Zoe, and what they've done for your mother. Do snuggle Boo, Mouse, and Ollie. They will still be there for you.

sara

Staff member
I'm ok now, my Mom left friday evening... leaving me with a ton of work, so I was a touch miffed, and was able to keep it together for the most part. I'm all done now, and for the first time since last week, I can sit and enjoy my own dogs (they've been horribly neglected this past week, :( and relax!

Apparently Zoe's doing rather well in the car, only puking a little when they first get going, then relaxing... sort of, and Scout is loving the extra car rides! LOL

I miss them terribly, but they'll be happy, and my Mom needs them... I just wish she didn't need them so far away :(

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
oh, i am hoping the worst is over, hoping, been thinking about you and wondering how you are holding up..

//"Mom left friday evening... leaving me with a ton of work, so I was a touch miffed, and was able to keep it together for the most part."//
who knows, maybe your mom knew you well enough, to know, you'd do better if you were busy, who knows. I've done this with my kids a time or two, give them something on purpose, just to keep them busy when i knew they were having a hard time. Lol, they did grumble a bit, not realizing i was doing this to them on purpose, to help them cope/not fall apart/etc.