S.w.a.g Head Collar And "handy" Leash

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Bella's new leash and head collar came today yay

Took Bella for a quick try on it and it seems good. Love the colours. They make them to order so I'm happy with it so far. Will know more once I've tried it out more.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Lol, that Bella is getting to be a glam dog!! Too cute!!

Is this Bella's first head halter? How is she liking it so far?? I never could get Buddy to truly "like" his, not ever.....i followed all the exercises that were included in the box, step by step, but, Buddy never did grow to truly like his....:(

Dlilly

Honored Member
Yeah, how is she taking to the head halter? :)

Shiloh hates her head halter. Her face got itchy when she wore it. It didn't stop her from pulling, it just stopped her from dragging me everywhere. She graduated to the harness last year. :)

Anneke

Honored Member
Nice colors!!
A woman from our dogschool makes them too. But I don't use the headhalters anymore. Both my dogs hate it. And since I have the pulling inder control I have no need for them anymore.
But if I had to use them I would order me some of these too. So much nicer than the ordinary halters!!!

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Lol, that Bella is getting to be a glam dog!! Too cute!!

Is this Bella's first head halter? How is she liking it so far?? I never could get Buddy to truly "like" his, not ever.....i followed all the exercises that were included in the box, step by step, but, Buddy never did grow to truly like his....:(
Bellas almost always worn a head collar so she's use to it, its the walks she doesn't like. She enjoys playing fetch at the park though.
This head collar is lined with fleece so should be more comfortable than other head collars plus theres no yanking of the head

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
Nice colors!!
A woman from our dogschool makes them too. But I don't use the headhalters anymore. Both my dogs hate it. And since I have the pulling inder control I have no need for them anymore.
But if I had to use them I would order me some of these too. So much nicer than the ordinary halters!!!
Hopefully once she becomes more comfortable going on walks I can try teaching her heeling outside without the headcollar (I do train it in the house but as shes so nervous out the house its all out the window).

Hoping this collar will work on Zara as she is the worst puller ever a harness and a gentle leader together are no match for her pulling. If it does mums gonna order one from her.

Yea I love the colour there was quite a few to choose from.

Dogster

Honored Member
OOooOOoooh!!!! VERY fancy!!!! It looks ADORABLE!!!! Shivon hated her gentle leader.:cautious: She wasn't a really bad puller to start with (thank God:ROFLMAO: )

running_dog

Honored Member
I just ordered the blackdog infin8 head halter for Gus (in bottle green with a matching lead in case the fashion concious among you are wondering :ROFLMAO:). I just can't face trying to train loose leash for even one more day :(. I'll maybe try again when he is a bit older with a longer attention span and the whole world is not quite so brand new and exciting.

The infin8 looks a similar design to Bella's new halter but no fleece lining :rolleyes:. What I did really like about the infin8 was that you can slacken the nose loop independently so that you can theoretically fade it out and eventually just use a collar... Well I can hope can't I?!?

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
I have one like that however Zara we thought was ok on it but she rubbed her chin raw on it so that's why I'm more happy with a fleece lined one. I'll post a pic of my other one that I got from out dog trainer.

EDIT: Mines different to the one you ordered but you can use it as a collar too.

Here's a pic of the other one

running_dog

Honored Member
Umm I hope the infin8 works for Gus anyway and doesn't rub him too badly, I think the nose loop is separate somehow so hopefully it'll work. He doesn't pull all the time or even terribly badly it is partly the having to concentrate 100% every second just in case he puts any pressure on the lead that is getting me down (and every time we see a person closer than 100 paces, or a dog, or a bike, or a white van, or a motorbike, or a leaf, or a twig, or a sandwich wrapper, or some sheep poo, or... well you get the idea :ROFLMAO:). At the same age Zac was basically leash trained in a week, the adult dogs I walk are mostly fine within one walk... but GUS! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!
He drives me crazy!
I don't DO puppies!
Also it is hard for all of us to be consistent with the way we walk and train him, hopefully this will even out our expectations so he'll find it easier to understand.

Dogster

Honored Member
Oh poor Rdog... When I get another dog, it's probably NOT gonna be a puppy:ROFLMAO: (Shivon seems like a really calm puppy compared to some of the stories I hearO_o Sorry, derailed.

Amateur

Experienced Member
PLease keep us posted on how its working .. esp with the really pully dog...
Zoe is pretty good but forgets herself ( drives the hubby crazy) .. that mechanism just might be worth a try

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Since i did fail at getting *my* dog to really "like" his head halter,:( (Buddy even stopped asking for his walks at the designated times:( ....he hated the halter that much...)
so
i had to go back to basics,
and just spend some time teaching my dog not to pull.
My dog was notorious puller....oh was he ever!!:rolleyes:

Teaching a dog not to pull, is not a one-day, or even a one-week lesson, at least, it wasn't for *my* dog, it did take some time, and consistency on MY part----------
It's no good, if you teach a dog not to pull, but, then allow dog to pull when he gets within 5 feet of a fire hydrant to pull those last few steps.:rolleyes:

I had to teach my dog, that pulling never ever ever ever works. never.
that pulling gets him NOTHING.
that when he pulls, (every single time) he does not get to fire hydrant at all....til he can walk calmly over to it, beside me.
just outlaw pulling altogether, and interrupt it every single time. Yes, yes, it might take you 45 minutes to get around the block those first few times,:ROFLMAO:
but, it's worth it...........it was time well invested, imo.

Here is how i did it.
This did work. Here, Kikopup offers a few different ways to tackle the issue, the one that worked best for *my* dog, was the one where she recalls the dog BACK to her. That really helped my dog sort of 'reset' his brain again, like he "snaps out of it" almost,
when he has to return to me whenever he pulled.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
^that is just exactly what i did. it didn't work for Buddy.....:(
Buddy did allow the halter to be put on, same as the dog in the video:D .

Buddy did not dislike the halter til he had WALKED in it, THAT is when Buddy decided the halter was evil.:mad: But yeah, i can easily get Buddy to sit there and wear the thing, as shown in the video.

a guy i know from the dog aggression boards, said his dog never ever destroys anything, NEVER. Never in all the years he's owned Spacer, has Spacer ever ever ever eaten or chewed up one thing, okay?

he said Spacer hated that harness so much, that Spacer got the halter out of the shelf, and tore it up to bits. Absolute shreds.

The guy looked at the now torn halter, and replied, "Enough said, i guess i can't miss THAT message!!"

running_dog

Honored Member
Dogster - Border collies and labradors are pretty notorious for pulling on the lead, as a general rule sighthounds just don't. A good reason for not getting a BC/lab if you don't like leash training.

Tigerlily, I do know that stuff and I have watched those videos, I'd even have agreed with you a month ago. LOL if you look at some of my earlier posts on the forums you'll find me giving the same advice. BUT sometimes concepts are too big for a puppy and I think this is part of the problem for Gus, and even if it isn't the problem the whole leash training thing is driving me insane.

Being consistant and never letting Gus pull, THAT is precisely what makes the leash training thing exhausting, irritating and quite simply HORRIBLE. Sure you could maybe train Gus using these methods but I don't have the time nor the patience, GUS CANNOT HOLD THE UNDERSTANDING IN HIS HEAD FOR LONG ENOUGH FOR IT TO WORK BECAUSE IT IS CONSTANTLY ECLIPSED BY NEW AND EXCITING THINGS (like every new leaf and twig and person that is a dot on the horizon). So why waste months trying when as long as we prevent major bad habits developing we can probably revisit the training in a few months and he'll grasp it in a week? That way I stay sane and can even feel I like Gus in the mean time.

When I don't walk Gus for a couple of days (someone else walks him) I can even laugh at the funny things he does, when I do walk him I get so churned up I never want to see him again. We talk about dogs being over their threshold, right? Well, leash training Gus is over my threshold, I'm recognising that and we're taking a break.

TiflovesBCs

Experienced Member
That's like Zara, I'm sure she's part husky the way she pulls as if its her job lol. No amount of stopping and starting, redirecting or anything like that works on her. And as for the whole slack leash thing before moving on stuff, she never leaves any slack at all. Bella tends to sit when I stop if she pulls allowing some slack but Zara is an extreme puller. She's a nightmare I physically can't walk her when she is just on her collar she pulls so much

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
But from what you've said in past posts, Zara doesnt' get walked, and since Zara is really your mom's dog, Zara doesn't get the training time that Bella gets, either. So i can imagine, a high energy dog like Zara would be chockful of unspent energy and i can imagine, Zara would be hard to manage!!! no doubt!!
I'd bet, if Buddy got no walks, little or no training, he'd still be a nightmare to walk, as well...

and Rdog, if you got a puppy who likes his head halter, and that is working for you, GREAT!