Run Away Rascal!

bekah1001

Honored Member
Something else that we worked on in a class a couple years ago that might help when he runs off, was what they called an "emergency recall"
Wow great idea! Hmmm now I need to think of a word :LOL:
Just today Brody bolted out of the door when my brother to his dog for a walk ( we live near a busy street) and he thaught he was going and wouldn't listen and all. I had to drag him by the collar back inside.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
To answer all your questions, Bruce is around 4 or 5 and I use puperoni as treats. I think I need to find something like jakienmutts said but the only problem is my dog is really picky! Any suggestions?
You can use all kinds of things: I use things like chicken, hot dogs, cheese, Jenny-O meatballs (in the frozen section of the grocery store, I cut them up into small bites, the dogs go nuts!!). You can also use things like beef heart, liver, or tripe. You can look in the refrigerated "dog section" in the grocery store, there are packaged treats called Dog Joy that the dogs also go nuts over - I get those occasionally as a real treat, I cut them up into small bites also. Packaged treats like Pupperoni are fine but honestly, not a real high value. Switch over and offer something someone here has suggested and see what reaction you get. Oh, when I make the chicken for the dogs, I often will sprinkle it with garlic powder, make it good and "stinky" (in a good way) - you want something that smells really good, too.

Dodge

))rubbing my hands here(( never thought of sprinkling chicken with garlic powder,thank you for that ( Dodge will go mad thinking its x-mas:D)

running_dog

Honored Member
I like the way you are thinking, it is good to have something that makes a standard sound - then even if you're mad or scared it still gives the same sound. I do wonder whether a good loud referee whistle might be better though - sometimes he might be too far away to here a clicker. Still go with what you feel is right for both of you and enjoy the training, it should be fun. Ever since I started making a little headway with Zac every time I see an untrained dog I itch to work with it!

BruceLover

I've been working with the whisle a lot! Bruce is responding really well! I'm so proud of him! I'm thinking of getting an actual dog whisle for him. Anyone have suggestions of which brand or kind or place to get one?

running_dog

Honored Member
Great to have an update! Well done with the progress!

The Acme Thunderer (you can find them online) gets a good write up for dog training and that's what I plan to get when I replace my long lost dog whistle. Forget "dog whistles" they just aren't loud enough. There is a video of Mewzard's dog Oka recalling to a Thunderer
and this is the thread about recall and whistles where it was originally posted here.