Run Away Rascal!

BruceLover

My dog Bruce is our little escape artist! He's always trying to figure out ways to get out of are backyard! He loves to have us run after him for 20 minutes at top speed(always just out of our reach) and then just sit down and look at us like he's saying ok I had my fun take me home. It gets really annoying after a while! I've tried everything! Treats, toys, come, but he still won't listen. He'd rather chase a rabbit than get a treat! If he's fenced in he can do come but if he's out in the open he will bolt! Any suggestions?

Dodge

:LOL:delightful habbit :ROFLMAO:
Sorry,only joking:)
Do you leave him in the garden on his own? I used to have Dodge on a longline for ages,because his recall was just aweful (attached to his harness,to not hurt his neck) how about keeping him on a longline and watch him where and how he s trying to escape,when he does tell him "Ah Ah" and be a fool,make funny noises,jump around like a looney and when he comes back to you praise the hell out of him,check out clicker training,it works wonders(y) (if he s not listening you can at least keep hold of him with the longline:)) and you can take him to parks on it,too,he can still run and play with other dogs and if he s doing the "you cant get me dance" (my I had this for ages,too) you can step on the longline,and voila,you ve got him :D
Hope this helps,Dodge has been on his longline for nearly a year,but has been of it since febuary and its going really well.I ve done loads of recall work with him on it(y)

BruceLover

Well the only problem is Bruce he hates long lines and always gets tangled up in them! The only place he doesn't mind them is the dog beach. My friend and I did try to find out where he gets out though! Once we even hid on top of the roof! Were going to be moving soon so were going to get an electric fence with a bigger yard there so maybe I'll have to wait until then. But thanks for the advice;).

Dodge

:eek: I dont like the electric fence idea,no no no,not one bit,I would rather be out in the garden with my boy at all times,they are nasty,please rethink,you love your boy and dont want him to get hurt and its possible that he would associate the garden with pain,so he wouldnt even like to go out there at all. And that would take you far longer to untrain than spending your time looking after him when out in the garden in the first place;) and he does not have to go through the pain of being shocked:cry:
Please try to train and practise his recall instead of that nasty fence.

BruceLover

Just had another question,how often does he get walked and how long? :)
Well the nice thing about the electric fence is it actually beeps before it it shocks and you can change the settings for the shocks...My friend has one:). Bruce gets 4 walks a day each 20-30 min long. Every other day we do a training session and about once a week we go to the beach and or park. We eat dinner outside(on nice days) and let him roam around our yard. He has plenty of space to run around!:p

bekah1001

Honored Member
:eek: I dont like the electric fence idea,no no no,not one bit,I would rather be out in the garden with my boy at all times,they are nasty,please rethink,you love your boy and dont want him to get hurt and its possible that he would associate the garden with pain,so he wouldnt even like to go out there at all. And that would take you far longer to untrain than spending your time looking after him when out in the garden in the first place;) and he does not have to go through the pain of being shocked:cry:
Please try to train and practise his recall instead of that nasty fence.
I saw a youtube video of someone trying a shock collar on themselves to see if it would hurt (it was the one that shocks when the dog barks) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwjfrWvwq5I (it has bad language just warning just in case)
but why would people use shock collars on dogs. If it is able to hurt a person, its going to hurt your dog.

Dodge

Well the nice thing about the electric fence is it actually beeps before it it shocks and you can change the settings for the shocks...My friend has one:).
How nice that it beeps first (y)
:confused:
Take that as a sarcastic comment . . . .
How would you like it if you would be in a different country where you could not understand the language,somebody would tell you to do something and everytime you wouldnt do it they would slap you in the face . . . . but give you a warning beep first O_o
Watch that video bekah1001 has put on and tell me that you would put that collar round your neck and walk into that fence a few times . . . . bet ya any money you wouldnt! YOU KNOW that the bleep means a warning,your dog has to learn the very,very hard way,I pitty your friends dog and Bruce for that matter if you decide to get one of these fences despite researching all those nasty things that can happen to a dog when they are used,sorry if I m upsetting you,really dont mean to,just trying to tell you not to use it :love:

BruceLover

How nice that it beeps first (y)
Take that as a sarcastic comment . . . .
How would you like it if you would be in a different country where you could not understand the language,somebody would tell you to do something and everytime you wouldnt do it they would slap you in the face . . . . but give you a warning beep first O_o
Watch that video bekah1001 has put on and tell me that you would put that collar round your neck and walk into that fence a few times . . . . bet ya any money you wouldnt! YOU KNOW that the bleep means a warning,your dog has to learn the very,very hard way,I pitty your friends dog and Bruce for that matter if you decide to get one of these fences despite researching all those nasty things that can happen to a dog when they are used,sorry if I m upsetting you,really dont mean to,just trying to tell you not to use it :love:
Yes but this collar actually doesnt hurt the dog! It just gives them a little zap and my friends dog learned in 1 hour how to use it! Dogs are smart and they figure out that thats where they shouldnt go! Also my friend actually did use the collar on herself annd she said it just felt like someone was putting an electric tooth brush on you! That vidio (y) is nothing like what the the fence does...those fences are made for like ginormus dogs!

bekah1001

Honored Member
Hmmmm instead of shock collars i wish the had something that would vibrate instead of shock the dog to startle them instead.

running_dog

Honored Member
Ethical issue aside, having a dog that you can only control using an electric fence is an insult to your training abilities.

Why not start by creating a safe escape proof area - like a play pen or dog run where your dog can be left safely on his own. For a long time our garden was not secure, we still don't normally leave Zac alone in it because if he sees something worth chasing he will go (he's even jumped on top of a 3ft hedge in order to clear a 8ft fence). What we do have is a small area fenced off near the house that we can let him into safely directly from the back door.

You definitely need to work on recall with distractions - I know, I'm still working on recall with Zac and it is really hard(deer, rabbits, hedghog, squirrels - they all trump anything I can offer). If you try 100% positive you might be surprised at his improvement. On the lead Zac used to try to hurl himself after deer and moan to chase them, I used to tell him off and he just got worse, since I started doing positive training while there are deer around he has got much much better.

You must never chase your dog. As long as you chase him it is a game, running AWAY from your dog is a 1000 times more effective. Whatever it takes (fenced yard, long line, no off lead time, long line recall, tx cowgirls liver cookies, Saras ping pong dog) don't let yourself get into a situation where you HAVE to chase your dog. Every time you chase him you destroy every atom of recall training that you ever did. Don't call him if you know he isn't going to come back - if I go on calling Zac when he is after something he uses my voice as a homing beacon and runs futher away because he knows I am there. Introduce a different command and completely retrain recall if you have to - there are lots of great tips on recall training on here and believe it or not , they work! Zac still needs a lot of work but he is so much better than he ever was before.

Let us know how you get on!

BruceLover

Currently we have a fenced in area where he roams around but the minute he picks up a scent he immediately dashes! He totally zones out from my voice and concentrates on his prey. Nothing I do will stop him unless he's on leash!

running_dog

Honored Member
Yes. that is the stage I am at with Zac and deer, so I try to find deer as often as possible with Zac on the leash. If there is the least suspision of a deer being in the area he stays ON the leash. Once there is a deer around I make sure he knows then we train "watch me" "sit" and "down" all on leash and as positive as possible (very occasionally I'll use "ah-ah" but I'd sooner step into his line of vision if necessary.

With you it should be much easier because your dog runs away much more often (I have to spend ages looking for deer!) so you have that many more opportunities to reinforce what you want him to do. It is really hard to go back to on leash training but it does work. You have come to the right place for ideas on training and there are several very active members who are working really hard on recall, your situation is not unique, but people on this forum do not advocate electric fence type shortcuts, even those of us who train dogs that are bred to chase and that live only to hunt.

You might like to try cutting down your dogs dinner and feeding half as treats, that has worked really well with Oka so far. "Nothing in life is free" is another very useful tactic that goes well with this. I would reduce off leash time and make sure it is always on my terms, starting with a sit wait and recall, off leash is a privilage that has to be earned. Have a read of "who is training your dog" in the library area, a lot of us who are working on recall have found that article useful.

BTW what type of dog do you have? Is he a bedlington terrier cross or something like that?

Dodge

Sorry,but my solution would be to keep my boy on the leash or long line,whether he would like it or not,for his safety and others (cars trying to avoid him/other dogs or cats dashing towards or away from him or kids being scared for that matter) in fact I stayed (and still check and stay) out with him in our new place(garden) for a couple of weeks,in case cats could come into our garden,I can stop with verbally,but that took ages with training on walks and I would never trust him around anything with a pulse other than dogs,that part is still work in progress but we re hopefully getting there . . . with possitive training.
Christ,it aint that difficult to watch your dog,surely O_oand if you know that he dashes as soon as he picked up a scent,you must know by now where he can get out,secure it (y)
Sorry,I m so passionate about this :oops:

(editing this . . . running dog,you are fab with words,my emotions take over when I type and I cant think straight:DI will have a look at the classroom area too(y))

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Great suggestions by Running_dog and Dodge. I'd also like to ask what kind of treats you're using to reward your dog when you're practicing your recall? When you're trying to trump something as obviously appealing as being free, or chasing bunnies, it has to be REALLY REALLY good and worth his while, not something he knows he got yesterday, will get later, and again tomorrow. What's the incentive? Shake things up - when I ask you to come, and you do, you get THIS!!! - and make it FABULOUS!!!! Only use this "fabulous" treat for recalls - something like steak, or beef heart, or liver or tripe - something different and that he'll remember, and that he'll love, and give him a generous amount.

Something else that we worked on in a class a couple years ago that might help when he runs off, was what they called an "emergency recall" - for those times when the ears might be turned off, as in - dog is chasing a deer, or about to run across the road chasing a cat or bunny, etc. Train a 'special' recall with your own special word, make one up, something you can yell in the neighborhood (and not be embarrassed about ;)), but that you won't say to your dog on a daily basis when asking him/her to come to you. I think a favorite was YOO-HOO, or maybe a word like "partytime". ... pick your own, but make it one you'll remember (cuz remember, this is only used in emergencies, not every day). Practice this word a lot. Start by saying the word to your dog - and treat (with something FABULOUS). Again. Again. Again. Again. Different times of day, keep repeating the word, and the treat. Then, say the word from a little distance - treat. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat. Keep increasing distance, just around the house - to where you barely whisper that word from another room, and the dog comes running - and you treat with something FABULOUS (no store bought stuff here). Then start moving the practice outside in the yard. Repeat, repeat, repeat - until you're almost sick of it. Just keep repeating that word and treating - your dog knows when he hears that word and comes, he scores big. Then keep upping the distance. Remember, this isn't "come". This is special - don't abuse it, but make sure he can't wait to hear this word. When he does come, just treat, let him have that big party in his mouth and loads of wonderful pets, and send him on his way. You're going to start occasionally practicing when at the dog park, or when dog is playing outside - but less and less frequently - just enough to keep that word in his mind. OMG, I just heard "the word" - gotta go!!!! Everyone's had unbelievable results. We even got to test in really hard places (if we desired). I did wish to see if our word worked - and, at our training facility, let my dogs loose in the field adjacent to the llama and goat pasture. When they were good and absorbed with the llamas and goats (not to mention all the llama/goat poop in the field!!), and had no eyes or ears for anyone or anything else in this world, and the trainer and I had wandered way far away, I yelled loudly, and almost to my shock, both my dogs came charging over!! As I recall, they both got whole hot dogs for being so good - that's a huge jackpot in my house!! :p

You've gotta make sure you trump whatever your dog is finding better out there. Find your dog's paycheck - and don't stop looking until you do! How old is Bruce? I have to agree with the others - Bruce just needs to be on a leash until he either matures and doesn't bolt, gets more training and doesn't bolt, is in a more solidly fenced yard (not with an e-fence) so he can't bolt, or a combination of the above. You said Bruce doesn't like long-lines. Did he tell you this? :confused: Frankly, I'd rather have my dog on a long-line and a bit peeved at me, than bolting freely to heaven-knows-where and have to worry that he may be hit by a car, or worse.

I'm glad your friend likes their e-fence. I bet their dog doesn't. You do realize of course, that e-fences don't prevent other animals, prey and otherwise, from entering your property. If a bunny takes off from your property thru that e-fence, have you thought about what-if Bruce gets so involved chasing that bunny that he follows it right thru the e-fence, just busts right on thru, cuz frankly, he doesn't care about anything, he's so crazed. Then, he loses the bunny, time to go home now. Only he gets there, and uh-oh, he gets zapped going home - so he doesn't go home. Too painful. Now he's on the outside looking in - so he wanders on. He won't be the first one. And to say "it doesn't hurt" is a cop out. I trust you will put it on yourself first, right? I know I wouldn't let anyone, for any reason, shock my dog. It just wouldn't happen. I hope you'll reconsider. Some dogs do get very freaked out by e-collars, they shut down, they become aggressive, they become different. Just things to think about. The e-collar vendors will all tell you none of that is true - but it is true. I hope you do your research - and by that, I mean more that just going by what your friend said - before you make your final decision, unless it's already made. And if it's already made, and you're going with an e-fence, I wish you, and especially Bruce, a lot of luck.

BruceLover

Thanks everyone for the wonderful suggestions! I will ask my parents if we can not get an e-fence! I now really understand why not to so thanks for showing me(I can be very stubborn). To answer all your questions, Bruce is around 4 or 5 and I use puperoni as treats. I think I need to find something like jakienmutts said but the only problem is my dog is really picky! Any suggestions?

Dodge

Oh wow,jackienmutts,you are fab,love your right up!!! (I would luuurve to have a "love" click instead of a "like":love:)

Brucelover,I love,love,loooooove that you changed your mind,nothing wrong with being stubborn . . . look who s talking :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: nothing wrong with standing up for your believes,I had some right old humdinger arguments over training believes on other forums :whistle::barefoot::oops: (I m just very passionate about all things possitive:love::barefoot:)