Rucker: Backward Leg Weaves

jordyquint

Experienced Member
I love shaping! We just need to proof some more... I am wanting him to go around both legs, but this is it so far. Love him, love him, love him!

Kind of dumb, but I forgot to work with him on the other side of me. I guess we'll work on that soon then!

We had just gotten back from a trip and I missed the dogs so much... the first thing I did was work with them, of course!

sara

Staff member
I love the little excited back-end hop he does! Mine do it too! LOL I taught Oliver to do the backwards figure-8 one side at a time. after he had all the separate moves down, we strung them together.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
YES, Amateur, i so agree, it is the "HOW TO" of a trick that i crave, as well!! Most ppl train it that way by "luring".

there was an AWESOME video on this in classroom, i think....

hope that link still works!!

sara

Staff member
Ollie's a natural at backing up... infact his default behaviour IS backing up :rolleyes: so it's easy to teach him anything in reverse... NOT so easy to teach it to him going forwards. Mouse I'm teaching to go backwards with a target stick. NOT a normal way of doing things, but then, she's not normal! :LOL:I put the target stick along her side with the end by her hip, she backs up until she can touch it with her nose. :D Once the muscle memory is there, I'll put it to a sign, and voila! I have a backing up Doxie!

jordyquint

Experienced Member
I actually shaped this behavior with Rucker. I'd ask him to go into the heel position on my right side, which he knows quite well. And for whatever reason, he started offering to back up. He'd back up (turning as he went), and eventually he increased his back up (and angle) distance every so often.

Amateur

Experienced Member
Well if he's gonna practically do it all by himself ..... :LOL:
I'll just have to keep an eye out and watch for opportunities,
but it is oh so hard with a border that does things at warp speed