Roll Over

BullyGem

I have been training Axl for about 3 weeks now and he knows how to sit, drop and shake hands. We have just started to train him to roll over but I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly.

Firstly I get Axl to sit then drop. From here with great difficulty I luer him on his side with a treat then get him to roll over for his treat. Axl usually picks up on tricks on the second training lesson but I don't think he is getting this one.

What is the best way to teach a puppy to roll over??

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
cuuuuuuute dog!
You sound like you are doing GREAT teaching tricks!
wow, your dog gets most tricks in two lessons??? wowza!
occasionally, my dog can get a one-step trick in two lessons, but, usually my dog takes wayy more than 2 lessons to fully nail a trick.

so don't get frustrated if your dog needs more than 2 lessons to nail "rollover". Most dogs typically DO need more than 2 lessons.
Imo, rollover has a few lil steps, or, increments, til you get the completed final "rollover".

Hope this helps:
http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/blog/how-to-teach-a-dog-to-roll-over

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
I taught my dog to rollover to the right, for cue, "Buddy, what do ________do?" (insert name of political party you do NOT like):ROFLMAO:

and i taught Buddy to rollover to the left to verbal cue "rollover" for my guy to use in front of his friends, which tend to belong to the political party of the trick above.

but, i taught the two tricks about a month apart, to avoid confusion.

Ohsweetserenade

I'm making him sit, down, then I would say 'roll over' and lure him with a treat to roll over. I click right when he lands on his other side. I hold the treat in front of his nose and pull it behind his head towards his back and he has just always followed it. He is so food motivated that he would follow a treat anywhere. My problem is getting him to do it without the treat! lol

BullyGem

Thank you for your advices!!
We have mastered roll over and I am super proud!!! Now it's onto the next trick. We can finally take Axl out next Tuesday as he will be completely vaccinated.