River - Golden Retriever

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
Wasn't able to see the videos, but it sounds like River is an amazing dog and you guys are doing some great work together.

So jealous of the limp, Veronica and I have been working on it for...months! And, well...we're still working on it!:rolleyes:
What method are you using for the limp. It took us about two months of working on it when ever I had time and then a couple more months to proof it. I had him give me his paw and keep it on my hand while we walked. Then I made my hand an unstable surface so he had to start holding it up himself.

MaryK

Honored Member
River is awesome!!!!!!!!:D(y) He's just too cute for words! You've done a fantastic job, he tricks really well, and is so happy doing his tricks. Loved the way he neatly 'folded' the lead, really great!

MaryK

Honored Member
Thanks Mary K. He is a wonderful dog and he loves to do anything that will earn him cookies!
Sounds like my gal Leaf, she even bobbed for biscuits at the Dog School Fun Break Up Night!

Rivers reminds me so much of Rakins, not the coloring, but everything else, brings a tear to my eye when I see that beautiful wagging tail. He sure is a beautiful boy:D:love:

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
River and I are celebrating 4 years together, today!
We got to go on our first photo shoot. River did great as a model. The photographers loved him!
They couldn't believe it was his first!

MaryK

Honored Member
River and I are celebrating 4 years together, today!
We got to go on our first photo shoot. River did great as a model. The photographers loved him!
They couldn't believe it was his first!
Happy Anniversary:D Oh River is just made to model, I can well believe he won their hearts. :love: Yes, pretty please, photos/video???

MaryK

Honored Member
River is amazing! Just loved the video and his happy wagging tail
:love:

Leaf can do the putting rings on the post but refuses to even touch the final ring, the one with the rattle. Not sure if she's scared of the 'noise' - any suggestions.

Also, how did you start to train River to pick up the hoop etc.? Loved that and have a hoop. Leaf just knows jump through one or two hoops.

He's really talented!

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
River is amazing! Just loved the video and his happy wagging tail
:love:

Leaf can do the putting rings on the post but refuses to even touch the final ring, the one with the rattle. Not sure if she's scared of the 'noise' - any suggestions.

Also, how did you start to train River to pick up the hoop etc.? Loved that and have a hoop. Leaf just knows jump through one or two hoops.

He's really talented!
Thank you Mary K.

I would suggest starting to associate the rattle with a treat. Just like loading a clicker but using the rattling ring. If you need to start with it behind your back so it is less threatening. You can also try rolling the ring to make it more exciting and praise her for any interest. Another option is to shape her retrieving the ring. I would start holding it in the air unless she is more comfortable with it on the ground. You can move it away from her to see if that draws her closer to it.
The hoop was hard for River too. He is a sensitive dog too! It did help that he was a natural retriever. I started getting him to put his mouth on it when I was holding it, so it didn't move too much and scare him. Then I started gradually bringing it closer to the floor (still holding it) and king of guided it with my hand as he brought it to me. I wanted to prevent him from dropping it at first so he didn't scare himself. Keep in mind what surface you are on. A rug or out side on the grass is best. I avoided hard wood surfaces at first because if it drops it makes the most noise. You can also try tossing it to bring out the dogs prey drive. If the size is too overwhelming try getting another small hoop or starting with a smaller different item like a pole and then gradually working up to a broom stick for example. Teaching her to except larger items.
If she doesn't like the feel of it in her mouth you could try attaching a string, wrapping it in a piece of fabric or something she would like to retrieve.

Separately I teach the go through. If Leaf can jump through then it should be very easy to get her to walk through it. Then you want to start adding a bit of movement and getting them used to it start to fall behind them. This can be scary. I start by holding on to and slowly lowering it to the ground. Then gradually letting it drop to the ground starting very close to the ground and gradually starting hire off the ground at an angle until it is practically standing strait up. You can also put her in a wait and walk several feet away and have her watch you drop it on the ground and release her to come closer to get a cookie or toss it and run toward it and give her a cookie if she follows and encourage her to go up to it.

I hope this helps!

kassidybc

Experienced Member

River is now a trick Champion through Kyra Sundance's Do More with Your Dog program!
Love it! So talented! :) I wanted to do that with Chloe, but it got too expensive. We got up to intermediate trick dog and then we stopped. She probably knows enough tricks to go farther, but oh well. :p

running_dog

Honored Member

River is now a trick Champion through Kyra Sundance's Do More with Your Dog program!
Congratulations and well done to both of you!

I especially loved his tidy up toys and also his picking up the hoop :cool::)

Also... welcome back, we've missed you... it seems forever since we've seen you on DTA.

MaryK

Honored Member
Thank you Mary K.

I would suggest starting to associate the rattle with a treat. Just like loading a clicker but using the rattling ring. If you need to start with it behind your back so it is less threatening. You can also try rolling the ring to make it more exciting and praise her for any interest. Another option is to shape her retrieving the ring. I would start holding it in the air unless she is more comfortable with it on the ground. You can move it away from her to see if that draws her closer to it.
Thank you SR. I'll try associating the rattle with a treat, as per clicker, as Leaf is VERY food motivated. Will start with it behind my back at first, as I'm not sure if it's the noise or the feel which puts her off.
Unfortunately she's not much into retrieving at all. Since I've had Blossom she's shown a small amount of interest but only if Blossom goes after a toy - the 'I wanna have it too" syndrome. But I'll see how she goes with retrieving it if the clicker way doesn't work.
The hoop was hard for River too. He is a sensitive dog too! It did help that he was a natural retriever. I started getting him to put his mouth on it when I was holding it, so it didn't move too much and scare him. Then I started gradually bringing it closer to the floor (still holding it) and king of guided it with my hand as he brought it to me. I wanted to prevent him from dropping it at first so he didn't scare himself. Keep in mind what surface you are on. A rug or out side on the grass is best. I avoided hard wood surfaces at first because if it drops it makes the most noise. You can also try tossing it to bring out the dogs prey drive. If the size is too overwhelming try getting another small hoop or starting with a smaller different item like a pole and then gradually working up to a broom stick for example. Teaching her to except larger items.
If she doesn't like the feel of it in her mouth you could try attaching a string, wrapping it in a piece of fabric or something she would like to retrieve.
Unfortunately, as I've said, Leaf doesn't really have natural retrieving instincts, she's more the 'you threw/rolled it so you go and retrieve it' mode:rolleyes:

I'll start with the getting her to put it in her mouth first. I have two sizes in the hoops so will start with the smaller one, which Leafy fits through easily. Will need to get her to 'hold' first, that's something she's not that good at, doesn't like having things in her mouth except tug toys for play. But she is improving with hold and this will be a good way to work on that trick as well.

Will try tossing it, but she doesn't seem to have a high prey drive. More into 'herding' being a Kelpie.

Separately I teach the go through. If Leaf can jump through then it should be very easy to get her to walk through it. Then you want to start adding a bit of movement and getting them used to it start to fall behind them. This can be scary. I start by holding on to and slowly lowering it to the ground. Then gradually letting it drop to the ground starting very close to the ground and gradually starting hire off the ground at an angle until it is practically standing strait up. You can also put her in a wait and walk several feet away and have her watch you drop it on the ground and release her to come closer to get a cookie or toss it and run toward it and give her a cookie if she follows and encourage her to go up to it.
Yes she jumps through it with ease. Will jump through two different sized hoops held vertically or horizontally (in and out on the horizontal) so no problems there. She'll also walk through, so that's going to be a big help.

I think Leaf would also be scared if I let it drop down, thank you for making that point very clear. And also working on hard floors, will work outside, as I can see how the noise of it dropping would be quite scary. Will also use the wait cue, she knows that one well of course, and let her watch me drop it. She's very good at 'watch me' style of learning, that's how she learned wave and some other tricks.

I hope this helps!
Thank you so much, great help and advice really appreciate all your help.:D