Ripley & I

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Hi All, I'm Beth and my current dog is Ripley - a Malamute x Boxer, she is 28 months old and we have had her since she was 18months old. We adopted her from the RSPCA, we were looking for a Border Collie or Collie cross to rescue but she is one of those that one look pangs on your heart strings and one lick of your hand and she is yours! She came to us having never had training so we started on puppy training at the age of 18 months, having now got obedience and recall, me and Ripley are looking to expand our, so far, limited trick training! My passion is agility and she has a hell of a spring on her but are struggling to find an agility club with space in the area of South Wale, UK we are living in. But she is a bright and willing dog and we are constantly trying to expand our training and learn new stuff!

Attachments

dogcrazy

Experienced Member
Welcome to DTA!! Nice pictures!:D My dog also jumps over benches and I love agility but there is no agility clubs in my area!!Does your dog know any tricks? Do you use clicker training?
Beautiful dog by the way!

Dogster

Honored Member
I LOVE YOUR DOG!!!!!!!!! ADORABLE PICTURES!!!!!!:LOL::love: Ripley is just TOOO CUTE!!!!:D Good luck finding an agility club, I hope you do!!!!;)

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Thank you for the lovely replies guys! Very cute dogs you have too. We have a limited amount of tricks at the moment but are always trying to expand our knowledge..! We do clicker training, dogcrazy, I feel it a great advantage to training a dog rather than have them rush the trick/training/obedience to reach the reward (be it treat/toy or praise) they work for the click which give the owner the added control of length of what you are trying to get the dog to do...

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
WELCOME!!!! what a cute dog!! way too cute, i gotta ask, what IS the dog doing in the 3rd photo? Is he jumping over the bench? WOW, what a great jumper!

Yes, most of us here are huge clicker trainers! sometimes, with my dog, i have to click/treat his first correct move, and then, over time, hold off an extra moment, til i click, then 2 moments, til i click....yeah.

LOTS OF GREAT TRICKS around here, if you have a question, jsut post it, everyone here is friendly and helpful!

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
Hi & welcome. My pack and I are new here as well. Mal x Boxer? Would have never guessed that! :LOL:

Great pics by the way - do you do much photography?

What tricks are you working on right now? What does Ripley know so far?

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
I can definitely see why she stole your heart! Such a cutie.
We can definitely help out with more trick ideas. ;) The "Dog Tricks" forum has plenty of ideas, and the newly re-opened Challenge forum is slowly getting more and more tricks as well. If there are any specific tricks you'd like to teach and need help with, feel free to post about it. We have many helpful members here. :)

Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
WELCOME!!!! what a cute dog!! way too cute, i gotta ask, what IS the dog doing in the 3rd photo? Is he jumping over the bench? WOW, what a great jumper!

Yes, most of us here are huge clicker trainers! sometimes, with my dog, i have to click/treat his first correct move, and then, over time, hold off an extra moment, til i click, then 2 moments, til i click....yeah.

LOTS OF GREAT TRICKS around here, if you have a question, jsut post it, everyone here is friendly and helpful!
I agree, the great thing with clickers is that you can do this... I have found it is particularly good when trying to teach weave in agility as you move from the dog moving between two poles to expanding the weave, the holding off for that extra moment is a great asset.

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
Hi & welcome. My pack and I are new here as well. Mal x Boxer? Would have never guessed that! :LOL:

Great pics by the way - do you do much photography?

What tricks are you working on right now? What does Ripley know so far?
Hi, welcome fellow newby! I love doing photography and tend to take my camera everywhere... as you can see though from the jumping the bench picture I am trying to work on focus when the object is moving...:confused:.

Right now we are working on roll over and when we master that would really try to do roll yourself in a blanket. I see you have quite a pack... some very lovely looking dogs in it too. Are you a full time trainer?

bekah1001

Honored Member
BAH. Such a cutie and welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those pictures are awesome. What kind is it? I finished a photography course and now I'm saving up money for a new camera.

Kim Abston

My recollection of Wales (but, I've only visited Snowdonia a couple of times--I'm from England myself) is that there are so many wonderful places--beautiful, green open spaces--where you could do a lot of agility sort of training. I envy you! And, your dog is beautiful!

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
BAH. Such a cutie and welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!! Those pictures are awesome. What kind is it? I finished a photography course and now I'm saving up money for a new camera.
Hi Bekah, she is a boxer x malamute, I love photography and use my camera as much as I can... I have a Canon 450D (I think it is a Canon Rebel in America) I find it brilliant!

Ripleygirl

Experienced Member
My recollection of Wales (but, I've only visited Snowdonia a couple of times--I'm from England myself) is that there are so many wonderful places--beautiful, green open spaces--where you could do a lot of agility sort of training. I envy you! And, your dog is beautiful!
Hi Kim, nice to meet you... Wales is wonderful for dog walking spaces and green open spaces for dogs to run, I don't really understand why there are so few agility clubs around my area... I moved from Milton Keynes over to Swansea and there are better spaces over here for agility but there were far more agility clubs where I used to live. I found there is one club within about 40 miles of Swansea and that one for at least over the past year you cannot even get on a waiting list for as there are too many people already on it!!

Pawbla

Experienced Member
Your dog is amazing! And lovely pictures, by the way, I love the "Ripley23" one. I enjoy photography too but I'm awful at shooting animals!