Ring Toss

Dogster

Honored Member
LOVE IT!!!! I find this trick hard to teach, especially as the rings get smaller and smaller.:)

madeleine

Experienced Member
She hasn’t got much trouble with smaller rings. I tried it today just to see what she would do if I added the other rings.
She just graphs them when asked and put them on the stack herself.
Since I didn’t introduce them really I’m very proud of her. She just goes on with the job.
I did notice that she has a different way of picking the smallest ring up. Normally she will graph a small part of the ring (like in the movie). And with the smallest ring she puts it completely in her mouth and hovers it then above the stack. Funny dog she is :D

She does have a longer success on not knocking the tower over, so there are some improvements as well. :)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
WOW! THAT'S YOUR FIRST SESSION?? WOW!! So well done!! How did you get started teaching this trick? I have never taught rings on a stick, but, it looks like something my dog might like to try!

madeleine

Experienced Member
I broke the trick down in small steps. First I put the stick on the ground (on a blanked like in the movie because otherwise that thing moves around the place so darn easy…)
She was immediately interested in the stick so I only clicked that twice as I recall, since see put her nose on the stick immediately in the right way when I placed that on the ground. I did this to inform her that this is the correct behavior I want. ( I don’t know why see immediately did with her nose so good, but maybe because she does a lot of those thinking games for dogs? Or it’s just luck)
Then I gave her one ring and the command to hold it. I pointed to the stick and she went over there and touched the stack again, placing the ring on the stick, though see did knocked the stick over. Next try I hold it for her so she could get the idea of the trick. Clicked that a few times and then she had do to it herself a few times. Knocked it over again offcourse (she's very enthusiastic to do this, might become her favorite trick or something.. ) so I let her grab the ring off the ground while I set the stick correct again.
So the first few clicks were to indicate a type of behavior and within the first training session I could move to this step. Now a couple days later (and lots of sessions) and we still do this. Though the other rings ain't the problem I first want her to improve this a bit before I place all the rings in the ground and let her get the correct ring.
The hard part for us with this trick is to place the ring on the stick gently, and not knocking the tower over. :)
When she's feeling funny she runes of with the stick. Today she came back to me to get the ring aswell. Don't think I will ever get that out of her. :ROFLMAO:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
THANK YOU for such great step by step instructions! i think i am ready to give that trick a try !
THANK YOU!!

and lol, i don't understand either, why sometimes the font is some odd size now and then!!:ROFLMAO:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
<--------has no video camera yet,:( AND my camera is on fritz, too...:cry:
nor do i have any crazy animal-print pajama pants to wear for such a video!
(is joke about teasing ppl about if they wear pjs during dog training videos)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
YES!! NEW RULE!!
The "Tif" rule,
all dog training videos this week should be filmed with human wearing pajama pants, and the crazier the print on the pajamas, the better.:D

Dogs wearing pajama pants can be substituted!! rofl!!

second option,
is wear fluffy sparkly slippers if you don't own any crazy print pajama pants!!:ROFLMAO: