Requested: Your Input On This Website

fickla

Experienced Member
Jean, I originally joined this forum almost 3 years ago because I was excited about the focus on tricks. I occasionally visit every few weeks but no longer actively participate as the forum has morphed into a more general dog training/behavior forum instead of tricks and specialized training. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that, I just personally prefer being on lists that have a narrow focus related to my interests.

What would draw me back would be challenges. The challenges motivate me to train my dog. Since my dogs know a lot of tricks (but there are SO many more we still want to learn!) I realize that many challenges would be ones we already have. However there are many ways to put variations on the trick to make it harder or to work on proofing them in fun ways.

I don't think they would all have to be moderator generated, but I don't know how it would work with user submitted challenges. Perhaps if it had to be approved by a moderator first it would be ok, but I would worry about an excited user with their brand new puppy posting a challenge to teach shake, and this occurring every few weeks with the next new user and puppy.

Perhaps a way to do it would be to have levels. Kind've like teaching your dog and posting videos of a shake, rollover, beg, spin, etc gets you past level 1. Teaching x,y,z, etc gets you past level 2. And then the challenges are user submitted of those in level 3. Anybody at any level could participate, but only those at a certain level could generate ideas of a challenge. That way those at the baby tricks could still have a constant challenge of trying to get past level 1 and 2 and proving it, but there could still be varied challenges offered every 1-2 months.

As for the blog question- I do have a training blog and at one point I was copying and pasting my entries over to the DTA blogs. But it was a pain to do so I stopped. if you still want to keep the blog section perhaps you can set it up so that one could enter the RSS feed of another site as an option. Or just have a blogroll list of members blogs and the link to their latest entry.

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
I also really like the level idea, It also gave me another idea...
I was wondering if you could make each of the three trick categories into sections. The first would be for trainers and dogs that had never learned or started the particular trick. Then there could be another section for dogs that have started or learned a particular trick, but the trainer wants to find a creative way to advance the trick and make it something new.
For example: If the challenge is roll over I would tape my performing the roll over at the beginning of the challenge so everyone can see what level each dog was at when the contest began. Then I would decide on my goal to improve the trick such as a sequence of five roll overs giving only one cue, rolling one direction then the other way, rolling in a blanket or while holding something etc. This way every challenge could be entered by trainers that have done a lot of training with their dogs and it would not be unfair for those that had not taught the trick before.
As for voting, is there a way that each member of the forum could cast one vote for each category they are not entered in.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Tx_Cowgirl for the enthusiasm with the challenges. :dogsmile:

I've decided to make some changes to the Leaderboard and allow members to create their own challenges. There will be a criteria to be met to create challenges, but I don't want to spill all the beans yet. :dogsmile:

I think this way it will be more fun for everyone and less demanding on moderators.

srdogtrainer

Experienced Member
Jean;23029 said:
Thanks Tx_Cowgirl for the enthusiasm with the challenges. :dogsmile:

I've decided to make some changes to the Leaderboard and allow members to create their own challenges. There will be a criteria to be met to create challenges, but I don't want to spill all the beans yet. :dogsmile:

I think this way it will be more fun for everyone and less demanding on moderators.

Wow! I am excited for the challenges to start up again!
Thanks Jean!

CollieMan

Experienced Member
Oooh, a suggestion!

When the site was first devised, I'm sure the average screen resolution was a mere 800x600. Most statistics I see these days tell me that those days are long gone. We're now in a predominantly wide-screen world with an average resolution of at least 1024x768. I can't begin tell you how narrow the DTA forums look on my 1920x1080 widescreen monitor. So maybe it's time to stretch the design out a little?

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
CollieMan;23196 said:
When the site was first devised, I'm sure the average screen resolution was a mere 800x600. Most statistics I see these days tell me that those days are long gone. We're now in a predominantly wide-screen world with an average resolution of at least 1024x768. I can't begin tell you how narrow the DTA forums look on my 1920x1080 widescreen monitor. So maybe it's time to stretch the design out a little?
I agree. I also have an 1080p monitor and I see what you mean. I just don't have the time to tackle that project this winter, since I would have to pretty much re-do the whole site. But I will take a note for next year.

Thanks,
Jean

CollieMan

Experienced Member
And another...

I just had a look around the site, and was more than a little surprised to find you showing what I think are shock collars in the store?

I presume (and hope) that this is because you're not able to control what items get shown on the ebay stores, as opposed to a change in heart towards training methods. If that's the case, then I would personally consider removing the stores?

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
CollieMan;23198 said:
And another...

I just had a look around the site, and was more than a little surprised to find you showing what I think are shock collars in the store?

I presume (and hope) that this is because you're not able to control what items get shown on the ebay stores, as opposed to a change in heart towards training methods. If that's the case, then I would personally consider removing the stores?
Store should no longer be available, where did you click from to get into it?

CollieMan

Experienced Member
Jean;23199 said:
Store should no longer be available, where did you click from to get into it?
Good question! I didn't note it down and can't remember. I thought I just clicked the main DTA logo...

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Probably the classroom, I have to update the files manually since they are all .html, Maybe I should do a php header lol

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
CollieMan;23196 said:
I can't begin tell you how narrow the DTA forums look on my 1920x1080 widescreen monitor. So maybe it's time to stretch the design out a little?
Hi CollieMan, I was able to stretch it out a little for now. I can't go any wider without it looking terrible. So next winter when I have more time I will completely re-design the forums.

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you everyone again for all your suggestions and support. I will do my best to implement as many features as possible.

lizzyrd

Experienced Member
I, personally, am glad that behavioral issues can be discussed here. Thanks! :)

Of course, I'd like to see more educational content: text, images, or video. But I know it takes a lot of time to produce. I'd do some for you if I thought that I was in any way qualified to teach anything related to dogs hehe