Removing Staining?

stormi

My new puppy has white hair on the insides of her back legs. She is still quite young and so hasnt been holding herself up far enough from the ground when she pees yet, and is getting really bad yellow staining on these white hairs.

I've been washing her regularly with normal dog shampoo, and on every other occassion also with a whitening shampoo on that area. I've tried 3 different types of whitening shampoo (ones for white with stain removal, not the colour intensifier ones) and recently I also tried a biological washing powder on the area (it is one designed for use as a hand-washing washing liquid, so is OK for sensitive skin and neither me nor her have had any reaction from it). I've also been wiping her hair as often as I can after she has gone outside and using a spray in conditioner in her hair each morning and night to try stop so much wet seeping into the hair. However, we still have yellow trousers.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to other things I could try? I've been washing her every other day recently, but am really scared I will wreck her hair by washing her so frequently. The only other things I have tried are talcum powder after she has been outside (but my Mum didnt like the dust in the house) and baby oil instead of conditioner to protect her coat (but my Mum didnt like the grease from that).

montsterdog

I have heard that people use stuff called "Show Sheen" to prevent stains on the white hairs. It is made for horses. I have not tried it so I am not sure if it really works.

Not sure what you could use to get rid of the existing stains. Hydrogen peroxide?

yoyopoodle

Try putting a little apple cider vinegar in her drinking water every day - within a couple of weeks there should be basically no staining from any bodily fluid (stops tear stains and licking too!). I did this with Charlie when he was in show coat and he had a little bit of tear staining, but mainly he peed on the bracelets of his front legs and they were getting stained much like your situation... it was a while ago, but I seem to recall staining stopped being an issue.

Start with just a teeny amount of vinegar, and build up to a capful or two :)

tango61

I have the same problem
how do i get stains out of my dogs beard?
i have a miniature schnauzer?

leema

Dogs beard is a different problem. Dog saliva stains a red like colour - and it's difficult to stop saliva! ;)
You can get products like 'tear stain remover' to rub into red-tinged fur each day. I'm not sure how quick it works, but the dogs I see that use it regularly do not have red tinges.

As for yellow trousers, I'd be trimming the fur on the inside of her legs. :)

tango61

okay i was just making sure that there was no household resolvant... haha i dont think that is a word...:msngiggle:

stormi

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! :)

yoyopoodle...thank you so much. I will check with my vet that apple cider vinegar will not react with the heart medication that my Mum's dog is on (I couldnt use cranberry juice as it would interfere with her diuretics), and if it doesnt I will give that a try. I guess if it does react with the meds I could add a little of the apple cider vinegar to Lily's food so only she gets it? It certainly sounds like it is perfect for Lily's trouser problem!

tango61...I agree with leema on the tear stain remover. I know some cockers with heavy flews use that on the hair on the bottom jaw covered by the flew to take the stain out. Usually then the affected area is covered with vaseline to stop the moisture soaking through so quickly again.

yoyopoodle

tango61;8853 said:
how do i get stains out of my dogs beard?
Apple cider vinegar should work for you to - but it'll just prevent new stains from occurring, not remove what is already there. The tear stain remover is a good idea to get her back to white :)

Yes, you could also put the vinegar in just her food. Definitely don't want to risk any health problems with your mom's dog!

cppugs

how to remove stains

I groomed for 25 years. we used either peroxide or laundry bluing for stains. just be sure not to get in eyes. a drop of mineral oil will protect eyes from this or shampoo. with the bluing, be carefull not to leave it in too long or you will have a blue dog/ for the weak of heart there are shampoos with bluing in them but they do not work as well. follow directions.

achieve1dream

Experienced Member
Show Sheen

I would not try the show sheen. It does make the hair very soft but when used too often (referring to horse experience here, never used it on a dog) it is VERY drying to the hair.

Hope one of the other methods works for you.

stormi

Thank you all so much for sharing you ideas and experiences with me. I'll have a play around with your suggestions, and hopefully her staining wont be so obvious soon :) .