Release words

jtsummie

I was wondering different points of view on using "Release" words after your dog preforms a command. If not how does your dog know it's ok to get out of sit (or any other command)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Ah, can't help you, my problem is getting Buddy to STAY in a sit!!:msniwonder:
stand by, someone smarter will be along!!:msngiggle:

CollieMan

Experienced Member
I use 'break' but many people don't use one at all and the dog just seems to know, through repetition of routine when he/she can break a sit, etc.

almitra

Hi,

Any word you want to use,as long as you consistently use it, is perfectly fine. I use "release" but "okay" and others are great also.

silent

The problem I have had in the past with using a word that comes up in normal conversation, is the dog hears the word and thinks it has been released. I use some german commands.

jtsummie

silent;18167 said:
The problem I have had in the past with using a word that comes up in normal conversation, is the dog hears the word and thinks it has been released. I use some German commands.
Great point we're teaching her some spanish

fickla

Experienced Member
I rarely have a release word when I give commands. When I tell my dog "sit" "down" or "cross paws" I just expect them to do the action for at least 2 sec. If I want a long sit, I tell my dog "stay." In that case, the release word I personally use is "ok" but really I only use it for stays, waits, place, and "bang" (I want my dog to keep being dead until released).

There are a lot of trainers who never train a "stay" but just teach their dogs that "Sit" means butt stays on the ground until told otherwise. I think that is a great method, but I personally need to tell my dog "stay" for my benefit. There would be too many times where I can see myself telling Lance SIT and forgetting that I have to release, so I can see my dogs learning to self release.

For some tricks, I do work on duration, but I generally just teach them that if you continue to hold it you might get another treat. So with beg, I might give one treat 2 seconds in, and possibly another 10secs in. My dogs don't have to keep begging for longer than my usual 2sec rule, but choose to in hopes they may get another treat.

yvonne

I say enough but I tend to say it in a different way so even if the word crops up in conversation it means nothing to him.

szecsuani

Experienced Member
I never use release commands. I ask her to sit, and stay, and she has to stay there until I call her to myself. Thats all... :D

Or, when in freestyle, she rarely has to hold a position too long, or if she has to, I release her with giving a new command for a new trick.

sarhaspups

you can use the word release to release her from a stay or whatever. I think it much more benificial for you to have a release command rather than not have one at all but that is my opinion. :)
Sarha

ruffmuttk9z

Here are my dogs demonstrating their stay and release word (okay) at dinner time! Yay for no multiple stay commands! My dogs are all well proofed against distractions in all situations. This is only the pup's 2nd meal with the gang (10wks old) so he has a couple slip-ups but gets back in place quickly. He is 13wks now and does not slip-up anymore.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6T_O4TnKFIw[/media]

Their stay....

And their release (okay)!!

tx_cowgirl

Honored Member
Staff member
LOL. xD Such an enthusiastic release in the second photo. Watched the chow time vid last week I think. They were so ready to eat, lol!! Nice job.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Dawwwwg! That was so cute!! Gosh i enjoyed this, laffed out loud once or twice, what a sight!!!

Did you train each dog to their own specific bowl, or does it just work out that no two dogs go for the same bowl..? NICE WORK!!

onwards1981

We use different release words for different things... like Feeby has to wait and be "calm and relaxed" before I release her to eat. In this case, the release word is "eat" but for other things like releasing after a "wait" I use "okay" or to get up from a sit/down position I say "upsies". But upsies also means to stand up and move off whatever it is she is laying on.

ozibe

Experienced Member
I use a release word 'PLAY' as my dog then knows when she is in working mode and when she is in chill out, or relax or play time. I find it is great to use as an added reward when she has done something really super well and the play is a little longer then normal. It is also good to use as a general break when training. Like us when we were at school, we didn't go through the whole day without a break. We had recess and lunch which were always my favourite times of the day.

As far as telling a dog to "stay" after telling them to sit, or down or stand you shouldn't have to use 'stay' as you haven't given your dog another command to do anything else other then sit, down or stand. Your dog should remain in that position until you tell your dog to do something else or release him. In theory you shouldn't have to use 'stay' at all once you have used sit or down etc.

ruffmuttk9z

tigerlily46514;18481 said:
Did you train each dog to their own specific bowl, or does it just work out that no two dogs go for the same bowl..? NICE WORK!!
They each go to their own bowl, the same bowl everytime, as some get different supplements and medications in their food than others. They also don't get the same amounts of food.

snooks

Experienced Member
I taught "go to your spot" and both go to down/stay in respective spots to eat. it also helps that they have doggie place mats (to keep the slobber/food off the floor) they sort of glue themselves to the mats when i put them down. this way i don't have dogs whizzing around excited or waiting for food to drop. after they finish the down/stay again until i release (after picking up both bowls).

Give the op both dogs would be right under me hopping from foot to foot tripping me.