Reintroducing Myself!

ohSNAPCAKES

hi there! I haven't been here in a couple of years, so I wanted to introduce myself again. ;)

my name is Brianna, and although I one day would like to train dogs professionally, right now I only really work with my dogs. and sometimes dogs that belong to family and friends. I live in beautiful Oregon with my husband, 7 month old son Fynn, and two dogs.

There is Atlas, a five year old male, deaf Australian Shepherd. I have had him since he was 13 weeks old, and he is trained using hand signals, with a small flash of light in place of the clicker.

We recently adopted Honey, an eight week old female Beagle/GSD mix. she's smart as a whip, and so eager during training sessions! I'm excited to continue working with her. :love:

kassidybc

Experienced Member
Welcome!! Both of your dogs are adorable! I think that's awesome that you put the time into training a deaf dog! :)

running_dog

Honored Member
What tricks does Atlas know now? (I looked back through some of your earlier posts so I know you do train tricks :))
Is there anything you are particularly working on with him at the moment?
I read the post about Atlas the hero. He is an absolutely amazing dog.

ohSNAPCAKES

Atlas has landed on my son four times in the last three days. he will leap over him and knock him on his back, then land on him with his feet. this last time, my son cried for an hour straight after being landed on. :( it's not like he's hurting him on purpose, it just doesn't seem to register with him that my son is not an inanimate object that he can just bull over.
I am at a loss on what to do. my husband keeps saying that if I can't get him to be more aware, he wants me to find him a new home. :poop:

southerngirl

Honored Member
Atlas has landed on my son four times in the last three days. he will leap over him and knock him on his back, then land on him with his feet. this last time, my son cried for an hour straight after being landed on. :( it's not like he's hurting him on purpose, it just doesn't seem to register with him that my son is not an inanimate object that he can just bull over.
I am at a loss on what to do. my husband keeps saying that if I can't get him to be more aware, he wants me to find him a new home. :poop:
I'm sorry to here that. Poor kiddo. Piper did that to my niece once scared the heck out of me. Let me see if I can come up with any ideas.
How old is your son? Have you consulted a trainer on this? If so what did they say?

ohSNAPCAKES

my son is 8 months old. yeah, they just said to stay on top of him until my son is old enough for it not to matter. :unsure:

running_dog

Honored Member
Could you do some training sessions where you make calm behaviour near your son and calmly stepping round your son be very rewarding for Atlas? And then randomly reward him for doing this during the day?

southerngirl

Honored Member
Maybe teach Atlas boundaries. Give your son a bubble, Atlas is not allowed in this bubble he can not play, walk or run in your son's bubble. Once Atlas has learned this than teach Atlas that he can only sit and lay in your son's bubble, no walking around, playing, running, just being calm. For now keep atlas in your site at your side at all times. If you can't watch him put him up. If he walks toward your son call him back to you.

ohSNAPCAKES

thank you for your advice. :love: I refuse to give up on my dog. my husband doesn't really understand him, but he has been my buddy for far too long to send him away. I brought Honey home today, because her being here or not literally made no difference. plus, I value this training time so much.

I need to work on calm behavior with Atlas some more ANYWAY. he is a jumper, and what I call overly friendly, haha. a lot of my company actually want all 45lbs of him on their lap when they come over, but the ones that don't need to be respected. :ROFLMAO: I have hope for Atlas, because he lived with my goddaughter when she was a little over a year. we did just fine. I think a lot of it is over protective mommy, haha. I will work for one, on his stay, and also on his calm behavior.

running_dog

Honored Member
I seem to remember that Atlas is a dog for whom any attention is good attention, is it possible that whatever you do after he bowls your son over has reinforced the behaviour? Does he join in the baby cuddle for instance?

Southerngirl's idea of a bubble is really really good. I was thinking about how you teach a dog invisible garden boundaries but I couldn't see how to apply it, DUH! Of course a bubble, love it. And like Southerngirl says make sure there are no opportunities for Atlas to get it wrong. Make sure that Atlas has bowled your son over for the last time, it will NEVER happen again. Think about it, if your child was repeatedly hurting Atlas you would keep them apart until you could be sure the child had learned not to. You owe the same to your child.

I would be tempted to have a safe place (like a play pen however out of fashion they are) for your son while they are in the same room - you could start bubble training while your son is in the play pen. Maybe also put in a dog gate to keep Atlas out of a couple of rooms as your child gets more mobile.

Whatever it takes you need to keep Atlas and your son apart.

It really is that important. Atlas however unintentionally, could seriously injure your son internally when he lands on him with his paws. He could knock your son over into something with a hard edge and injure him seriously that way. If your son ends up having to go to the doctor with injuries and bruising that could cost Atlas his life. If the doctor thinks you are negligent or if thinks it was you and not Atlas who caused the injuries/bruising it could cost you your son if he is taken away from you.

Keep them apart.

southerngirl

Honored Member
Yes, like running_dog said keep them apart for you son and Atlas's safety. My family had a dog brought back to the pound were he was put to sleep, because a doctor was about to call social services on them. My mother felt horrible about it and still feels bad, this was years ago.