Recommended Dog Training Books & Dvds

rouen

Experienced Member
Bones Would Rain From the Sky and Merle's Door are both on my Amazon wish list; do let me know what you think of them! :)
I'm 1.5 chapters from the end of Merle's Door. I enjoyed it, the end it a little hard to read.. for me anyway with the tone being the end of the dogs lives. It's a pretty good book. I could do without the dominance mumbo, and I dont like that he put the facts about dominance toward the end, but it's his book. I would read it again though.

Ina

WOW, what a list ... that will make for a lot of bedtime reading.

Thanks for bringing this thread up again!

helps

Since last week I've been reading The Rosetta bone - The key to communication between canines and humans book by Cheryl S. Smith. It's very readable and interesting. Though, I haven't read any books (except calming signals) about dog's body language and these sort of things, so it's new for me. It's also about positive training and so...

rouen

Experienced Member
How about Dogs Never Lie About Love by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson. It's not a training book, but it's interesting.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Bones Would Rain From the Sky and Merle's Door are both on my Amazon wish list; do let me know what you think of them! :)
Tx, "Bones..." is EXCELLENT, I've recommended it to so many people, and given it as a gift to two, just love S.Clothier -and Merle's Door is good, it's a novel, a story - he gets into the dominance thing, and I don't agree with all his beliefs, but if you can get your head away from that and just enjoy the story, you'll enjoy it - I took it for what it was, and liked it.

Tx, add "Inside of a Dog - What Dogs See, Smell, and Know" by Alexandra Horowitz to your wish list - it's fabulous, and I know you'll enjoy it! It's not a training book - it's written by a behaviorist and is as the title says - she's studied dogs and has done her best to try to relate to the reader how dogs experience the world, what dogs see, smell, and know (as best she can, of course). It's anything but boring, she's a good writer, it's a fast, interesting, fun read. It's made me look at my dogs in a whole new way (all good) - it's made me think about some things I didn't give a lot of thought to before.

(all just my opinion of course - some may disagree) ;)

Ina

I'm waiting now since 2 weeks for the books that I have ordered online. Got so desperate that I went to the local book store to have a look what they have in the shelf. The only interesting sounding book was "The intelligence of dogs" by Stanley Coren. Has anyone read this book?

helps

Tx, "Bones..." is EXCELLENT, I've recommended it to so many people, and given it as a gift to two, just love S.Clothier
Oh my definitely! I've came here with intention to praise this book, because I've started reading "Bones... " few days ago. It's THE BEST training book I've laid my hand on. Though, it's not typical step-by-step stuff, or some magical recipe that you should use in your training. It's beautifully written and makes you realize a lot of things - especially that the most important thing in your training is relationship with your dog. I'm not even halfway through, but LOVE it so much. :love: There are some very touching stories and experiences of Suzanne herself and I know, this is kind of the book I will read over and over again. :)

Leslie Savva

A great thread! A lot of great reading and perfect timing too! I'm gearing up for a 2 week vacation and now I have all I need to load up my kindle (don't have a lot of English book store choices in Cyprus)! I also really appreciate the DVDs. Being a very visual learner, it helps to make the information more concrete. Thank you everyone!:)

mkolna

I really liked When Pigs Fly by Jane Killion. It gave me some great ideas about how to approach training so that I'm getting the most out my very active (I joke she has ADD) dog.

charmedwolf

Staff member
I got more!! You know your family believes you're obsessed when they get you dog books for house warming gifts. :p

Raising A Champion by Meredith John and Carole Richards
Very good book on teaching a dog conformation behaviors.

Canine Boot Camp by Rick Caran
A book about if you train tricks good behavior will follow. Basic training.

Positive Training for Show Dogs by Vicki Ronchette
Another dog conformation book. All positive work with clickers or markers which is sometime not really used in the show world.

How Many Dogs?! by Debby McMullen
About using positive reinforcement training to manage the multi-dog household with strong emphasis of being a benevolent leader, not an alpha.

sara

Staff member
I got 3 more Dog books too! I FINALLY got "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson, and "Dog Sense" by John Bradshaw. and "Inside of a Dog" by Alexandra Horowitz

I'm fascinated by the science behind dogs, so am leaning more towards books with alot of scientific background behind behaviour, evolution and the dogs themselves.

sara

Staff member
HEre's one that's not mentioned, but really, REALLY good! "The Dog Vinci Code" By John Rogerson. I finally read Merle's door, it's sooooo good! Do you know he's got a picture story out about his new lab puppy? It's pictures with captions "written" by the pup. I saw it at Chapters, and was tempted, but it's too much money, and there's no "learning" in it.

laramie

Experienced Member
I love anything from Kyra Sundance. She give troubleshooting advice when it doesn't go the way you expect. Also:

It's Me or the Dog by Victoria Stillwell
The Secret Language of Dogs by Heather Dunphy
Why is My Dog Doing That? by Gwen Bailey
50 Games to Play with Your Dogs by Suellen Dainty

Anneke

Honored Member
I have read Karen Pryor(have two books of hers)
I have all of Jan Fennell's books. They are not about training, but about communication.
I thought I had Gwen Bailey why is my dog doing that, but I don't, it's on my wishlist.
I have a lot of dutch and Belgian books.
I'll have to go and see of any of the books an this list are translated in dutch and if not, if I can get them in english, without having to order from abroad.