Rear End Awareness Tricks

Elliot DMDS

Hi there,
Elliot and I did a new video yesterday-
we are still enjoying the spanish winter sun,
(can't believe it's January and I am still in Jeans and Pullover)

including some new rear end awareness tricks and some stuff just for fun, I hope you enjoy:

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
<----is jealous of your mild winter on the day you filmed this!:ROFLMAO:

Loved it! i love that Elliot! I once had a newfie/border collie mix, same size as yours, only looked like sort of like a giant border collie...
NICE WORK!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
Elliot, when you are doing that type of heelwork, where dog keeps his eyes on you, when you STOP walking, do you give a signal of some kind, that you are about to stop,
or
does Elliot just be so focused, that he can stop at same time you stop?

YOu can either reply here,
or in link below,
as i am not sure how to teach the dog to stop at same time i do. do i give a cue, or just keep practicing so Buddy will get better hang of paying att'n??

(we are still new at learning this type of heelwork, only beginners, just now figuring it out, etc)

THANKS if you can help!
http://www.dogtrickacademy.com/members/forums/threads/easy-cheesy-way-to-teach-heelwork.4339/#post-31915

Elliot DMDS

Hi Jean,
No, I do not give a command for the stopping,
we started the heelwork from the heel position, aka the dog sitting on your left side,
offering eyecontact. If you take it slow from this part, only take small steps, and always reward him for this position, he should start stopping and sitting down next to you on his own, because he knows this is the position he is beeing rewarded for the most.
If he gets that, you can start rewarding him while walking.

I hope that helps. I personally wouldn't have gotten anywhere with heelwork without trainers helping me...

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
oh darn! Elliot, i was hoping you would say that you DO give a lil signal to stop.:ROFLMAO: I am only new at learning this heelwork,
but so far, Buddy always takes at least a half step ahead when i stop.
Then, he backs himself up to be beside me.

But, maybe if we stay at it, he will somehow develop the skill to sense when i am about to stop walking...? and no longer take that extra step when i stop suddenly ...

Like i said in link above, he is doing pretty well with his turns now, and with a steady pace walk, stays pretty much in position/less forging now, and his backwards heelwork is flawless,
but just the stops are very clumsy...........so far.
Doing it one step at a time, is more of a challenge for my "Mr Zoom zoom zoom" dog, but, he is getting there, getting the hang of working one step at a time so i can better control his exact position.

and, i've come to realize, we will have to practice this heelwork around distractions as well.:ROFLMAO:
He was heeling in perfect position, eyes on me,
and dumped me to follow his 'daddy' carrying a plate of food!:ROFLMAO:

nah, i don't use trainers, i have taught Buddy probably 70 cues all by myself with the help of this site. Many others here are the same way, just teach our dogs things without a trainer. I really should write the tricks all down to count them again. It can be done, teaching a dog things even with no trainers.

THANKS FOR REPLY, i guess we will just keep at it, and hope that Buddy somehow develops the ability to figure out when i am about to stop, so he loses that "extra step".

Elliot DMDS

Hi tigerlily, didn't want to say you NEEDED a trainer, Elliot learned all his tricks without a trainer and only by forums and videos from the internet, BUT I just explained that
you need a lot of knowledge for good heelwork (which I didn't have when I got a dog)
It's unfortunatly not said in a couple of sentences... and it always helps if you have people watching your work, because you can not see the body cues you are giving your dog.

Hi dogster, thank you,
the software is iMovie, comes with a mac computer, really easy to use!

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
You know, it seems that Buddy has mostly stopped his extra step when i stop walking.
Elliot, do you usually also keep looking at your dog while doing this type of heelwork, or no?

Elliot DMDS

in competition you should not. But I always find myself looking down...which I shouldnt if I trusted my dog... I think it looks better if you walk straight without looking down at your dog.