Quick Question About Training a Puppy

ilovejackers

Hi i have a 3 month old golden retriver. he is actually like 13 weeks. In the last two days he learned to shake paws and dance. he already knows the basics like sit stay down. but im wondering how fast i can move with such a young dog,, like when can i introduce a new trick to him without overwhelming him. id like to teach him some tricks like crawl, hide, pray, roll over, and play dead but i dont want to move so fast that he gets confused. so when can i start teaching him more and how often can i teach him something new?

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
I'd say you can teach him anything you want right now! Just keep your training sessions focused on one trick at a time so you don't confuse him! :p

Have fun! And let us know how he does :D

ilovejackers

Okay, thank you.
I taight him to roll over yesterday but he hasnt quite got it yet so im going to work on that trick until he gets it, then ill try a new one!!

Jean Cote

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! Roll Over is one of my favorites :D :D ... Keep us posted on the tricks you teach him! :)

phoebe

I started training my chocolate lab at 3 months old and she is now 18 months old and I haven't counted how many tricks she can do now but she learned very quickly. Anything from sit and heel to speak and toss a cookie from her nose. She is very smart. What had worked for me was as soon as she got one trick perfect I would start her on a new one. Some took a couple of weeks some took longer.

phoebe

I do have a full time job during the day but I really made it a priority to train her especially after I found out smart she is. I do generally 3 session a day sometime more on the weekends. but they only last about 10 minutes if that. Because she only is 18 months old I have to walk her before each session. But thats why I have children !!!