Quick Exercises/tricks/etc To Keep Your Dog's Mind Sharp

kcmetric

I haven't had much time to focus on tricks with Chaplin and I'm worried his mind won't "stay as sharp" if it's not exercised. One, I simply can't choose a trick I want to teach, two for some reason I'm just... slacking in the trick department because I'm focusing on some other things with him.

What are some ways to keep him sharp and exercise his mind?

MissyBC

Experienced Member
I taught Missy to "stand tall" and to "flick" her tongue out. :) You could do free shaping lessons with Chaplin and see what he comes up with. Whatever you like click and treat, what you don't like, just ignore...

(free shaping is how I got Missy to "flick" her tongue out on cue.)

Good luck!!

MaryK

Honored Member
Blacknym, great vids!!!!!!!!!!(y)(y) You've given me some ideas to break up Ra Kismet's trick training, something new to add, thanks.:D

I was also going to suggest to kcmetrics that mind games were very good for dogs and also do use up a lot of excess energy. All the vids fit the bill perfectly.:cool:

kcmetric

I did some free shaping with a box. Baby rocked it and in like 2 minutes he was putting his paws in it. Chaplin on the other hand... took 13 minutes to just consistently look at the box. In part, I think that I'm the reason it took so long for him because all we've been doing for three weeks is building eye contact on ME so he was super hesitant to look at the box. I'm not sure I am allowed to do this with free shaping but instead of handing him the treat I made it "explode from the box". So basically I threw it before he looked at me near where the box was to make it look like the box was giving the treat.

Kind of like how they train scent dogs.

Dlilly

Honored Member
Teaching wave left and wave right is always fun. Rory really has to focus and think about which paw to lift. This might be some thing you could try. ;)

MaryK

Honored Member
Dlilly - slight side track sorry everyone - how do you get Rory to lift his paw UP in wave? I can get right/left but a HIGH WAVE isn't happening.