Question About A Dog In Heat

southerngirl

Honored Member
Yes, it gets bigger when girls go into heat. Do you plan on breeding her? If not you should get her fixed so you don't add to the overpopulation of dogs.

MaryK

Honored Member
Perfectly normal, the vulva swells when a female is on heat. Great to know you're having her spayed. Make sure she stays inside while she's on heat.

jackienmutts

Honored Member
Yes, please keep her in the house, or when you take her outside to potty, keep her in a secured area or confined in your fenced back yard (if it's a high fence). Don't take her on walks - or you'll have male suitors following her from surrounding neighborhoods, all lined up. :eek::oops: :confused:

Pawtential Unleashed

Experienced Member
The heat cycle is also longer than most people think...

She will swell for 7-10 days (usually will not accept a male during this time but still pays to be very careful)
She will then bleed for 7-10 days
She will then be in her prime breeding time - most people think when they stop bleeding the heat is over but they are still in heat for another 10-14 days - during this time she may go out of her way to find a male.

So depending on when she went into heat and how old she is - you need to keep a very close eye on here for at least a month.

rouen

Experienced Member
As Pawtential said, the heat cycle is roughly 3 weeks. Depending on the girl you may not know exactly when she started. And younger usually means irregular as their bodies are still maturing, during the first few cycles she may be in heat longer.
As has already been said you cannot leave her alone right now. Just like boys are aware of her, she's aware of the boys and will seek them out if given half a chance.

Dogster

Honored Member
Feels like a health lesson, LOL.:p;) Just kidding.

I agree, would get her spayed. It's better in the longrun.:)

MaryK

Honored Member
Yes, please keep her in the house, or when you take her outside to potty, keep her in a secured area or confined in your fenced back yard (if it's a high fence). Don't take her on walks - or you'll have male suitors following her from surrounding neighborhoods, all lined up. :eek::oops: :confused:
LOL reminds me of a friend who obviously knew nothing about dogs in heat. S he was house sitting another friends GS who came into heat. My friend took her for a walk:eek: ! Urgent phone call - she was stuck in a phone box (the old Red English ones) surrounded by male dogs of all types, sizes and descriptions! The 'rescue' involved backing a car up to the phone booth as close as possible (estate car) with the tailgate wide open and friend with reluctant GS in tow leaping on board and a 'fast getaway' by the driver.

Sequel, a lot of those extremely hopeful boys found their way to were she lived. Nothing like a front garden full of ardent admirers!

You've been warned!!!!!!!!:LOL:

Anneke

Honored Member
If you get her fixed, do make sure she is not in heat anymore. Wait at least another month before helping her, or she might keep the smell. Sounds weird, but it is better.
And yes, when girls are in heat their genitals swell up. Very normal.
Jinx is my first girl dog, ever! We have always had male dogs, so I had to ask around for these kind of things too;)