Quarantine Troubles..

luckylego

Experienced Member
Hey guys,

So I'm writing this post for an old friend of mine in the US who recently moved from El Paso to Hawaii. He just posted on facebook that he's having a ridiculously difficult time trying to get his 2 dalmations to Hawaii with him - Apparently they have to remain in El Paso for 120 days as a quarantine thing, before they're allowed into Hawaii. Unfortunately, he can no longer keep them where they've been staying up until now (his mom's house, but she's unable to continue caring for them), so he's desperate for a new solution. He's already said that giving up his dogs is NOT an option (I was so happy to hear that one :D), but unfortunately he just can't afford the costs to board both dogs for the next 120ish days - which would end up costing him around $2000, on top of the $900 cost to ship them to Hawaii... I told him I'd ask around to see if anyone had any good, cost effective ideas that might help him out.

Any thoughts you may have would be a BIG help!! Thank youu :)

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
wow, this poor guy! oh wow, i have no ideas, but how kind of you, LuckyLego, to reach out to try to help these dogs, best of luck! I bet someone here might have an idea, i hope so.

Could you contact the local dalmatian rescue, and discuss having them fostering these dogs temporarily? Or any of the local rescue orgs? No idea if they could help, but, no harm done by asking them for advice, too.

tigerlily46514

Honored Member
also, just a thought, but, it might be good idea for this guy to also read up on any potential quarantine issues facing him when he returns back to mainland (if he plans to return, i mean) cuz, i'd bet, putting the dogs up for 120 days in Hawaii would be even more super expensive. Most evverything costs more in Hawaii, (except coconuts, macadamia nuts, and pineapples...)

this poor man, i feel really bad for him.
Is he in the military? If so, does the local troop family support network have any ideas for ways to help out?

Anneke

Honored Member
just had a look at the requirements to get a dog into Hawaii... That does NOT make one happy!!!
I do understand they want to keep certain diseases away from Hawaii, but this is rediculous.
Two rabies shots, blood tests and quarantine!!!
There is a test called a tittertest, that will show if your pet has enough resistence for a disease like rabies and therefore doesnot have this disease.
They are worse than the UK used to be!!(UK accepts a tittertest now and there is no quarantine anymore, as far as I know)

Can't help on the boarding of these dogs, sorry. I do hope he finds a solution.
120 days is a rediculous long time to be without your dogs:(

luckylego

Experienced Member
Thanks guys! I passed the idea of contacting a dalmation rescue along to him, so hopefully he figures something out. I don't think I could deal with that personally.. I'd never want to leave Lego for 120 days.. The poor guy :(